ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Elliot Whitehouse by VS TownToday 18:47Today at 18:47:05view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator15/6/2019 10:40Sat Jun 15 10:40:55 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Bill Olner by Unnamed Sauce22/5 20:01Fri May 22 20:01:03 2020view thread

Government support for lower leagues

By VS Town (VS Boro)22/5 15:33Fri May 22 15:33:49 2020

Views: 402

As I have said before, I don't think this shut down will hit clubs at this level any where as near as much as the 4 leagues above.

Listening to radio-4 this afternoon whilst driving home; someone was on saying it would be good if the government could help (where does it end???)
However, he was not suggesting giving clubs money (as he said, he would not trust them to spend it wisely).

What he suggested is the government bought a stake in clubs and appointed independent directors with the intention of passing this stake onto supporter Trusts once things had returned to the new-normal.

sounds a plan BUT could/should the government be helping everyone?

Will try and find the source of this idea.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Government support for lower leagues

By stone ragma23/5 12:29Sat May 23 12:29:49 2020In response to Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 229

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52771546 Interesting thoughts on Government saving clubs

By VS Town (VS Boro)23/5 13:11Sat May 23 13:11:31 2020In response to Re: Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 209

That was what I heard.

Irrespective of the consequences of this pandemic something has to be done to regulate football clubs. The governing body constantly stick their heads in the sand. This article backs that up.

There are so many negatives caused by this panademic; many will be effected for years (not ignoring those who have lost their lives) but PERHAPS it may make everyone re-evaluate their lives and some good may come out of it.
The "new normal" may be better in many ways than the "old normal"..... let's hope in 2, 5 or 10 years (assuming we can defeat this) lessons learned are not forgotten.

In some ways its' started by the way the government have approached many aspects of this crisis.

By Dougie822/5 20:01Fri May 22 20:01:03 2020In response to Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 279

More people watch non-league football than League and Premiership. Some clubs might only get 50 people but the 50's add up.

By mark-nbfc22/5 18:09Fri May 22 18:09:07 2020In response to Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 298

"sounds a plan BUT could/should the government be helping everyone?"

Yes.

Football is a key part of the culture in the UK and also an important part of the economy.

---
https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA

By VS Town (VS Boro)22/5 18:44Fri May 22 18:44:46 2020In response to Re: Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 274

but where does it end?
Football will continue.

Should the government have stepped in to help Bury?

It's not as if football has a good record on being prudent. Which clubs have never struggled at some time?

are there any buisiness that can't claim to be an important part of the economy or valued by many?

Not saying yes/no; but there has to be a limit.

1 person likes this 1 person

By joetowny (Joe)23/5 08:16Sat May 23 08:16:56 2020In response to Re: Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 231

bit of a controversial subject to say the least
i love football one of my three major sporting interests
but should a government support a sporting INDUSTRY that spends far in excess of its income
and yes i know the government of the day profits from it in terms of revenue
basically how many clubs live within their means ?? NONE if truth be told
most are run by backers.
who overspend by millions and millions

however i believe were talking lower leagues here which leads me to the point
of how many times have we been told on here that we should live within our means
hence for me if the club needs money then the clubs backers AND the fans should support it
not the government, or where do you stop ???
its not been a war as such but a war of health.
i dont expect the wider community to pay for my pleasure / sporting pastimes

i will support the club if and when needed.

which imo is the correct way forward
in a nutshell i dont expect non interested parties to finance my 'pleasures' a word some would dispute :-)
as ever an opinion.

4 people like this 4 people

By VS Town (VS Boro)23/5 08:47Sat May 23 08:47:42 2020In response to Re: Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 247

I think we are aligned on this.
Should the government help Cinemas, religions, rugby, cricket, theatres, shops....... all providing services to many.

Football can now really be broken down into 3 categories, and perhaps should be treated differently.

(taking away sentiment and a generalisation)
1) Premier - Generally, there model is working. Have vast income and vast expenditure.
2) Football league & Conf-National - Part 1); part 3) - too often chasing the dream.
3) The rest.

No way should the government help 1) - That have margins that mean they can help themselves (and others).

I think proposals to help clubs for those in 2).
PERHAPS, if done properly will given them a change to re-model. What I would really like to see is the governing body to actively get involved with finances; something I believe happens in Germany.

By almost average 223/5 11:16Sat May 23 11:16:45 2020In response to Re: Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 200

I read somewhere the FA split the game into four groups
1 , Elite Premier & Championship
2 , The Pro game League 1 to National Premier
3 , The semi pro game step 2 to step 6
4 , Recreational Football basically the rest

There is obviously some cross over at the top and bottom of each section , but each group has a different set of needs to run or restart .
1 , is reliant on rich owners , tv money & sponsorship and merchandise , with match day takings only being about 10% of income .
2 & 3 are very similar to each other highly reliant on match day takings supported by sponsorship , merchandise and owners .
4 is all about the players . They pretty well support the club through subs , fundraising and the support of a local businessman or two if there lucky .

Basically the crux of the article was groups 1 & 4 should be able to find a way to restart at some point in the next few months but 2 & 3 have hugh problems .

Edited by almost average 2 at 11:17:47 on 23rd May 2020

By VS Town (VS Boro)23/5 11:57Sat May 23 11:57:59 2020In response to Re: Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 196

BIG problem will be for group 2

They have full-time staff and too many are chasing the dream.

By VS Town (VS Boro)22/5 15:42Fri May 22 15:42:06 2020In response to Government support for lower leaguesTop of thread

Views: 341

I think it was Charlie Methven (Sunderland)
There is a hit on a tabloid, but I refuse to given them advertising click money :)

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/charlie-methven-collins-report-EFL-minority-ownership-fund-fa

Previous thread: Leroy Lita by MJNB21/5 14:16Thu May 21 14:16:01 2020view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.