ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Kit News by Lord of the ManorToday 12:04Today at 12:04:49view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator15/6/2019 10:40Sat Jun 15 10:40:55 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Has football learnt ? by VS Town21/6 16:57Sun Jun 21 16:57:38 2020view thread

Curtis Obeng

By MJNB6/6 18:11Sat Jun 6 18:11:57 2020

Views: 685

Signs for Radcliffe FC where Lee Fowler is manager

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Curtis Obeng

By almost average 220/6 17:25Sat Jun 20 17:25:24 2020In response to Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 311

Apparently Radcliffe is to be the ground used by the new Bury fc while they can't play at Gigg Lane . Didn't realise this and probably explains how they can suddenly sign players who will most likely be on a good wage for a club of their size .

Edited by almost average 2 at 17:26:52 on 20th June 2020

By bert's dad7/6 10:24Sun Jun 7 10:24:09 2020In response to Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 483

Think it’s a shame he didn’t play for us last season as we lacked a right back all season. Still as the season never existed it does not really matter.

By almost average 26/6 18:47Sat Jun 6 18:47:16 2020In response to Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 559

Close to Manchester . So what he was looking for though a bit of a drop ( Northern Premier div 1) ?

Off on a tangent was told Jimmy is looking to retain eight of last seasons squad .

By stone ragma6/6 19:40Sat Jun 6 19:40:58 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 555

Given that he already has Hood and is expecting Breedon to sign that leaves another six, said on the podcast he would like to keep Osbourne, so the other five, DKE, Sharpe, Kettle, Powell, Edmunds !!!

By VS Town (VS Boro)7/6 12:40Sun Jun 7 12:40:14 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 409

So, your list would have 8 of last years squad (which was hardly big).

So, departures from the last game would be.
Julian, Benbow, Addliison, Goddard, Byrne of those who featured regular :(

By stone ragma7/6 12:47Sun Jun 7 12:47:54 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 415

Was just basing it on AA saying JG was looking to keep 8 from last yr, Julian I hope doesn’t stay, Benbow think most people would be surprised if he stayed, JG said those that did stay would have to take less money than last season as Hood has apparently done so can’t see Addison staying now his contract is up, Goddard could possibly be one of the 8 maybe instead of Edmunds or Sharpe,
All that said could also see DKE and Powell being offered better deals by other clubs and moving on.

Edited by stone ragma at 12:52:40 on 7th June 2020

By VS Town (VS Boro)7/6 12:55Sun Jun 7 12:55:57 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 400

I know, but if 8 of last years squad (or just two or three departures) then I am not hopeful.

By stone ragma7/6 13:07Sun Jun 7 13:07:33 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 406

Doesn’t mean JG will persuade 8 to stay, on one hand he is talking about players that stay having to except less money and on the other saying the player he would really like to sign is Ashley Chambers, can’t see that being realistic.

By joetowny (Joe)7/6 14:25Sun Jun 7 14:25:17 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 382

Benbow was banding it about he was on a tidy sum per week
if we discarded him and had Chambers who i suspect if things were right might be back
of course both signing would be very good for goals
but i would suspect one of the wages would have to be financed from the backers
or even just one of them might be ?? all up in the air at the moment, just speculation.
i'll do a VS wait and see.

By stone ragma7/6 15:04Sun Jun 7 15:04:59 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 362

Chambers would on face of it seem a stretch probably on better money at Kidderminster than he was when with us previously so would probably have to be prepared to accept a decent drop in money

By almost average 27/6 13:27Sun Jun 7 13:27:16 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 385

For me an area we really lacked in last season was pace & athleticism . We had far too many players who were in the later part of their career or where coming back from long periods out , so never looked fully fit . The home games with Rushall & Peterborough where perfect examples , we didn't so much get outplayed as just overrun by faster , fitter more athletic opponents . Whoever we keep or sign for next season i really hope Jimmy can find a few players who can compete in this department or we will have the same problems again .

1 person likes this 1 person

By stone ragma7/6 13:50Sun Jun 7 13:50:18 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 377

Hopefully he signs players that are suited to the league and not just “name” players.
Last pre season it felt like players were signed with no real thought as to how we wanted to play and we kept chopping and changing systems to try and find something that worked, four at the back, three at the back, one up front , two upfront etc etc.
This season would like JG and RL have a clear idea of how they want to play and sign players that fit that idea, rather than trying to make players fit into different systems like last season.

Edited by stone ragma at 13:58:37 on 7th June 2020

By VS Town (VS Boro)7/6 14:08Sun Jun 7 14:08:41 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 360

I would actually say most the signings were "suited to this league" with many signing from clubs in this league, or similar (eg Benbow, Hood, Julian, Kettle, Sharpe, Clifton, Osborne, Powell and others who came and went)

A lot of the chopping and changing was down to a small squad and no cover (eg when Sharpe or Clifton were not available). Thats expected.

WRT one up front - That always seemed to be the preference, even when other options existed. How many times were people calling for support for Benbow?

By stone ragma7/6 14:14Sun Jun 7 14:14:08 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 359

There was not really any options other than playing one upfront for most of the season, Beavon was signed pre season then quickly discarded, Candlin came on loan for a while but other than that Benbow was the only option

By almost average 27/6 15:51Sun Jun 7 15:51:04 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 358

We actually played a few games with no one upfront , and i don't mean that sarcastic . We played a few games with five across midfield and no reconised forward .

Edited by almost average 2 at 16:15:40 on 7th June 2020

By stone ragma7/6 15:54Sun Jun 7 15:54:23 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 366

That’s true, as I say hopefully there is more of a plan next season than there appeared to be last

By joetowny (Joe)7/6 19:38Sun Jun 7 19:38:19 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 347

its a job whereby you live or die on results and signings.
get them wrong and your under pressure.
it does help though if your the manager and owner :-)

By Wotnostrikers8/6 07:45Mon Jun 8 07:45:58 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 361

Spot on Joe and I will add this an owner/manager scenario will never ever work.

By VS Town (VS Boro)8/6 13:12Mon Jun 8 13:12:59 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 298

I heard/read JG talk about “his team”/“his club”.
It sounded so wrong, but ....... it was true.

By mark-nbfc8/6 13:08Mon Jun 8 13:08:10 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 287

Do you know anyone that wants to become an owner to take over from JG?

---
https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA

By Wotnostrikers8/6 14:03Mon Jun 8 14:03:43 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 286

No but I wish I did, I doubt If JG would be here much longer if a seriously ambitious new owner arrived.
I am not disrespecting or trivialising what Jimmy has done for us in these difficult times and personally I would prefer him to concentrate on the owner side of things but fear it would be nigh on impossible for any manager to operate under him.

By stone ragma8/6 14:45Mon Jun 8 14:45:19 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 300

Listening to the first podcast he and Lavery said this coming season it would be fully their team with players they wanted and that they would have failed if they didn’t at least make the play offs, so when and if next season does start if they did fail by their definition wonder what JG would do then.

Edited by stone ragma at 14:46:03 on 8th June 2020

By Lord of the Manor8/6 13:20Mon Jun 8 13:20:28 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 297

There might be plenty of managers though that would take over ?

By stone ragma7/6 20:06Sun Jun 7 20:06:36 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 348

In some ways more pressure as owner/ manager if results are not going well

By VS Town (VS Boro)6/6 19:16Sat Jun 6 19:16:46 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 551

Same level as Boro

Finished about 5th from bottom.

Eight.
Trying to look from JG View (and he may know some who have indicated "bye").

Hood
Breedon.
Osborne
Kelly Evans
Goddard.
Sharpe
Kettle.
Edmunds or Powell.

Bit strange not wanting to resign your top scorer and you key signing from 12 months ago, but he didnt look happy

Edited by VS Boro at 19:41:34 on 6th June 2020

By joetowny (Joe)7/6 11:03Sun Jun 7 11:03:05 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 422

is Osborne the coloured lad who played midfield
bit of a slow start but improved as the season wore on.

By stone ragma7/6 11:22Sun Jun 7 11:22:11 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 414

Yes, finished season playing in defence mostly

By VS Town (VS Boro)7/6 12:35Sun Jun 7 12:35:01 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 390

or as centre forward ;)

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)6/6 21:52Sat Jun 6 21:52:42 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 513

On Benbow instagram he was training at Rushall today. Maybe close to home for him or somewhere hes playing his football next season...

By almost average 26/6 22:39Sat Jun 6 22:39:54 2020In response to Re: Curtis ObengTop of thread

Views: 507

Think there one of his previous clubs .

Previous thread: FA guidance on next season by almost average 219/6 15:58Fri Jun 19 15:58:24 2020view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.