ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Dover by almost average 2Today 15:37Today at 15:37:58view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator15/6/2019 10:40Sat Jun 15 10:40:55 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Daniel Farke by joetowny13/7 10:31Mon Jul 13 10:31:23 2020view thread

Hypothetical playoff scenario

By MJNB11/7 08:57Sat Jul 11 08:57:00 2020

Views: 435

Hypothetical question.

If Boro were in the playoffs, but no fans were allowed to go due to COVID etc, and the club sold virtual tickets to raise funds for the club to take part (all clubs in them have to be COVID tested etc), would you buy one?

Halifax have sold 225 virtual tickets for their game at Borehamwood next week at £20 a piece. And a load of fan cut outs to go in the away end at £15 each.

My missus (Halifax season ticket holder) has not done either, but has spent a tenner on their FCHT branded popcorn and Pringles to watch the game with.

They’ve raised £45,000 through lots of different ideas.

I’d probably buy a match ticket and other bits. A playoff day out (eg Guiseley) isn’t cheap when entry, travel, beer, etc is taken into account so £20 is nothing really.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario

By mark-nbfc11/7 13:12Sat Jul 11 13:12:48 2020In response to Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 289

Yes I would do that.

When other clubs do it is 'fund raising', when Boro do it it's 'bucket rattling'...

I know our club has a checkered past with finances but so do lots of others who seemingly the mud doesn't stick with.

While football clubs shouldn't be charities, the industry is so screwed at the mo that I'd happy to support the club with things like this when I can afford it.

---
https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA

By almost average 211/7 09:46Sat Jul 11 09:46:33 2020In response to Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 339

I'd pay to watch it on tv if that was a possibility but that's as far as i would go money wise . Slightly off topic i like the look of the Boro facemasks if wearing one becomes compulsory .

By MJNB11/7 11:14Sat Jul 11 11:14:49 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 302

Absolutely NOT judging or anything like that, but I’m well surprised at your answer.

Clubs need to raise £7,000 per game to take part I think to get the testing done, and with no income, the clubs can’t magic cash up.

If it was the choice of paying £20, or Boro’ potentially missing out on being promoted because they couldn’t afford the testing, I think it’d be worth it. Just my view though of course.

By almost average 211/7 17:03Sat Jul 11 17:03:43 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 248

To be honest i didn't realise the money was being used to fund the teams playing in the playoffs , thought it was just a gimmick to make some cash . I suppose i might pay £20 to fund the club playing in the playoffs but as VS puts below if they can't fund it themselves maybe they shouldn't be in a position to get promoted .

By VS Town (VS Boro)11/7 12:30Sat Jul 11 12:30:08 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 288

but there lies the crux.

If clubs can't afford to play in these games why are they and more to the point why are the leagues letting this happen?

in three leagues above this, 18 clubs are paying this money for just 3 promotion places.
I can understand the national having it, but not north/south.

If clubs can't afford this, then can they afford to be promoted due to the extra costs and uncertainly?

I still believe that all leagues below FL should have been decided on ppg, with one lucky club being promoted without playoffs.
What has been done is reward failure and IMO the play-offs now are even more a lottery.

Edited by VS Boro at 12:30:28 on 11th July 2020

By MJNB11/7 19:55Sat Jul 11 19:55:49 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 215

Isn’t the clubs involved faults that the COVID crisis took place.

Ordinarily clubs involved

A) wouldn’t have to pay for COVID tests
B) would have all had 6/7 more home games, with potentially big crowds to gain revenue.

By VS Town (VS Boro)11/7 20:46Sat Jul 11 20:46:31 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 228

Not anyone’s fault.

It’s what everyone faces and sacrifices/changes have to be made.

All clubs in same situation - no income.
Why spend more money when income reduced/lost .

By MJNB11/7 23:19Sat Jul 11 23:19:10 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 194

Seeing as they’ve raised £45,000 and will spend a max £21,000, they haven’t.

Their fans seem to have quite enjoyed being so heavily involved despite not being able to go.

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/7 08:22Sun Jul 12 08:22:56 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 220

Who are “they”?

In this hypothetical situatiion are we comparing Nuneaton to Halifax? A team I still see as ex FL?

So... can clubs in this league and north afford £20,000?

Perhaps I am missing detail, but plays offs (as I said) from 5nis league and one above are stupid.

By stone ragma11/7 20:57Sat Jul 11 20:57:53 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 219

Because if you get promoted you will get more money ie bigger share of tv money etc

1 person likes this 1 person

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/7 08:20Sun Jul 12 08:20:22 2020In response to Re: Hypothetical playoff scenario Top of thread

Views: 180

That’s a fallacy - costs go up also (particularly the higher you go).

Didn’t do Macclesfield, Boston, rushden much good.

Irrespective. 18 clubs in conference are fighting for 3 promotion places meaning 15 are spending considerable amounts for nothing.

Look where many ex national clubs are now.

Previous thread: Guidance on return of recreational team sport by almost average 211/7 09:55Sat Jul 11 09:55:50 2020view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.