ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: 15 YEARS AGO TODAY by From Town To TownToday 11:01Today at 11:01:55view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator15/6/2019 10:40Sat Jun 15 10:40:55 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Nuneaton Boro’s NEW manager !!!! by VS Town15/10/2020 12:29Thu Oct 15 12:29:00 2020view thread

Football (The way it should be played.)

By doghead11/10/2020 10:15Sun Oct 11 10:15:47 2020

Views: 813

Decided to take in a game in on sat being we were off, so went to watch rugby town in the fa vase, and what a joy it was. both teams played football no long boot in sight and 7 great goals rugby winning 6-1 against ellesmere.BEST game of FOOTBALL i`ve seen & enjoyed this season.Hope i can say the same on tuesday when i make the trip to bury?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Football (The way it should be played.)

By VS Town (VS Boro)11/10/2020 10:43Sun Oct 11 10:43:36 2020In response to Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 746

Rugby Town seem to be doing quite well this season (3rd).

Given their setup (nice ground; nice clubhouse) and the size of the Town its a shame they are at such a level (9); They surely should be able to compete at Boro' level.

1 person likes this 1 person

By doghead11/10/2020 11:53Sun Oct 11 11:53:54 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 693

Spot on.

By joetowny (Joe)11/10/2020 12:46Sun Oct 11 12:46:10 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 658

just one thought bud. and im not knocking your comments

and whilst i acknowledge you saw a very entertaining game which you thoroughly enjoyed

i can just imagine this forum if we go out Tuesday night
play entertaining football and lose 6-1.

By doghead12/10/2020 13:19Mon Oct 12 13:19:26 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 505

Win at any cost? football is in the entertainment business, if you enjoy the dross we are serving up at the minute, i hope you leave every match fully entertained? I know many who are not.

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/10/2020 18:21Mon Oct 12 18:21:56 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 410

It's a balance. For me entertainment (or intent to try) is very important. I remember watching many games in premier during the 18/19 season and thinking "why the hell do I stand in the cold watching crap when I have this". T
Taking a boro game with a boring 1-0 win will not attract new supporters and thats what the club needs.

Using premier as an example.
Mourinho got Man United 2nd, won Europe league cup and (I think) won the league cup YET he was soon sacked.
Houghton at Brighton got success (staying in premier), but was not liked due to style.
I know two spurs supporters who have fallen out of love with their club because of Mourinho.

The likes of Man City & Liverpool have shown exciting/attractive football can bring success.
Norwich also played attractive football.

I don't see why the ambition to see attractive football is bad. Its not as if playing cautions/un-attractive football guarantees results.

By joetowny (Joe)13/10/2020 08:24Tue Oct 13 08:24:22 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 377

WOW vs talk about dreamland Man C ( just had their European BAN lifted for overspending ) Liverpool Man U Spurs Brighton and " Norwich "played attractive football ......
obviously you haven't got SKY or BT sport... they hardly got a fuckin kick in most games i watched and lets not forget the one big club missing from that list THE BORO

if you truly believe that by following a non league club who pay 300 quid a week you are going to watch the
" beautiful game " i wish you and every every dreamer on here the very best.
ive always tried to debate on here since retiring 13 yrs ago with a semblance of common sense and realism
however there comes that point when you think you know what im wasting my time here.
ok ive finally got it.
anyway whatever your stance i wish you all well
Ta Ra.

By VS Town (VS Boro)13/10/2020 14:21Tue Oct 13 14:21:06 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 317

I want to see attempts at playing attractive football. We have not seen this in last 2 years.

Banbury (and others like even Loughborough) tried to have plans other than hit the front ASAP with long hopeful punts. So it is possible at this level.

If you read my analogy properly you would see I was using the premier on how teams at top and bottom could place attractive football and how some teams that don’t/didn’t don’t care for their manager much.

Brighton (under houghton) had success (stayed in the league), but try and find any Brighton supporter who was disappointed when he left. Same with mouriniho at Man United - two trophies and 2nd place but not likes

WRT Norwich - do you think their season would have been much different if the played horrible football? If so, why?

Edited by VS Boro at 14:23:06 on 13th October 2020

By boropod (BoroughPod)12/10/2020 19:10Mon Oct 12 19:10:22 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 440

I only turn up to see us win, ugly, dirty, ruthless, effective - I dont care.
We don't have anything near that in the league either that or even entertaining.
Tactics and current management are not up to it, cannot understand why with theplayes we had last season and this and the season before In NN we had far better players.
TBH the last 5 years of ineptitude (and the fucking bullshit of Hawkins) have nearly driven me to give up for good a few times.

worst forum poster ever

By blueandwhitemad14/10/2020 23:26Wed Oct 14 23:26:53 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 300

Well said I second that myself...

By stone ragma12/10/2020 19:01Mon Oct 12 19:01:32 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 382

Agree with you, personally relating it to Boro have found the football played under JG last couple of seasons a chore to watch, would love to see us play football like we played in the days of BP again but can’t see that happening anytime soon.

By joetowny (Joe)12/10/2020 15:38Mon Oct 12 15:38:56 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 448

come off it
firstly where did i comment on how well we play or how entertaining we are. nowhere, correct.
i made the point that if we played entertaining football and lost 6-1 what would be the reaction on here
i tell you what for nothing it takes two sides to serve up a good match
so Rugby thrashed their opponents, is that correct ?
so what was your assessment of the opposition L 6-1.
rubbish or entertaining ........ that is the point i was making
one which you decided to ignore by slating me and the Boro.
which lends me to believe you dont have an answer do you ?
villa thrashed Liverpool ask a pool fan what they thought of the game
or even more appropriate ask a Man U fan what he thought of the scoreline/performance AT HOME to spurs
to the neutrals YES great entertainment. but their not in the business of entertaining the neutrals are they.
if you think that football managers are going to survive in a job by being entertaining
all i can say is your delusional. because thats the real world like it or lump it.
football is all about results whether its Rugby T. or Barcelona.
NO ! watch how many get the bullit before christmas never mind a season.
and just for you if Barcelona play attractive football without getting the results the stadium will be half empty in no time. the manager will be a goner

By stone ragma11/10/2020 13:30Sun Oct 11 13:30:50 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 655

Not very likely on one count Joe 😂😂

By doghead12/10/2020 15:57Mon Oct 12 15:57:11 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 438

At 2-1 Ellsmere were still in the game but Rugby from a league above ran out worthy winners. To there credit Ellmere still tried to play the right way.Hence still an entertaining game.

By joetowny (Joe)12/10/2020 16:22Mon Oct 12 16:22:24 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 433

btw im not for one minute criticizing your opinion of the game
plus im not pouring cold water on what you viewed. i was not even there
the point i was making was from what side do you view the game from.
the neutral would be entertained
anyone connected with Ellsmere would not be.
thats the way football works.
entertain without results
or play crap and win
you choose
yes we all want to win and play well, including me ....... the problem is often the opposition, who dont agree.

lastly going off topic and i dont care which side of the fence your on
every time we dont win JG is criticized on here...... tell me that is not true.
and yes we have played some shit since he took over that is also true
but how many also tell us we have to live within our means.

By VS Town (VS Boro)11/10/2020 13:28Sun Oct 11 13:28:06 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 620

“i can just imagine this forum if we go out Tuesday night
play boring direct football and lose by any score.”

😀😀😀😀😀🤪🤪🤪😎😎😎

Edited by VS Boro at 13:28:20 on 11th October 2020

By almost average 214/10/2020 09:48Wed Oct 14 09:48:06 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 322

Have so far tried to keep out of this but got to say i've been seriously unimpressed with what i've seen so far this season . The football we are playing is depressingly poor and the management seem to have one plan , hoof ball . When it doesn't work and it invariably doesn't plan b seems to be just carry on doing it . I could accept a certain style to an extent if results were good but there not . If were going to play unattractive football and lose what's the point might as well try and entertain and lose .
Bury Town play a level below us yet played some nice passing football . Passing along the ground through the thirds with good movement and there a level below us so the level we play at is no excuse .

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/10/2020 13:02Wed Oct 14 13:02:53 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 303

✔️

During first half the radio were contacted by two well known supporters to “stop saying long ball by breedon as the forum would go wild”. For the next 30 mins they tried all sort of ways not to say it. It must have been “not said” every 2 minutes

Edited by VS Boro at 13:04:33 on 14th October 2020

By mark-nbfc14/10/2020 13:07Wed Oct 14 13:07:50 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 298

It was one supporter... Me. Hi!

It was also a joke....

---
https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/10/2020 13:12Wed Oct 14 13:12:56 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 298

I mentioned No names
I knew it was a joke and the joke run

And it was TWO supporters

There is no 'correct' way for football to be played

By MJNB14/10/2020 13:52Wed Oct 14 13:52:19 2020In response to Re: Football (The way it should be played.)Top of thread

Views: 314

Teams win by having different styles and tactics

Re: There is no 'correct' way for football to be played

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/10/2020 15:28Wed Oct 14 15:28:52 2020In response to There is no 'correct' way for football to be playedTop of thread

Views: 303

Yes but IMO football is an entertainment buisiness and I want attempts to entertain.

If all that matters is results then why go to games?

By MJNB14/10/2020 16:30Wed Oct 14 16:30:33 2020In response to Re: There is no 'correct' way for football to be playedTop of thread

Views: 316

''If all that matters is results then why go to games?''

see friends, see family?

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/10/2020 17:58Wed Oct 14 17:58:31 2020In response to Re: There is no 'correct' way for football to be playedTop of thread

Views: 289

I can do that without standing in the cold and paying £12

And that’s hardly going to attract new support

Edited by VS Boro at 18:03:59 on 14th October 2020

By almost average 214/10/2020 14:11Wed Oct 14 14:11:03 2020In response to There is no 'correct' way for football to be playedTop of thread

Views: 287

I have no problem with us hoofing it on occasions if it's what's needed and we get the result , just not all the time , and it ain't as if we're getting the results . The equalizer against R&D showed these players can play football so why aren't they .

By MJNB14/10/2020 14:16Wed Oct 14 14:16:42 2020In response to Re: There is no 'correct' way for football to be playedTop of thread

Views: 284

That's basically what I mean, the best teams are adaptable and can mix things up.

By almost average 214/10/2020 14:23Wed Oct 14 14:23:34 2020In response to Re: There is no 'correct' way for football to be playedTop of thread

Views: 281

Your correct . You need to be a class above to play exactly the same every game , the opposition know how your going to play but still can't stop you . Barcelona / Spain from a few years ago sort of level .

Previous thread: Been here before...Many times. by Vernon Slain14/10/2020 11:12Wed Oct 14 11:12:42 2020view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.