Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Louis Baker by VS TownYesterday 22:51Yesterday at 22:51:07view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator15/6/2019 10:40Sat Jun 15 10:40:55 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Alex Tomkinson by Lord of the Manor14/10 04:10Thu Oct 14 04:10:41 2021view thread

Should we get a 3G/4G pitch?

By MJNB11/10 21:58Mon Oct 11 21:58:08 2021

Views: 566

I’m kinda against them from a footballing perspective, especially as the likes of Sutton and Harrogate have had to rip theirs up once in the football league.

However, that’s just a pipe dream being that high. Realistically, we won’t ever be above the national league. Realistically, I can’t even see us back in the national north for some time.

So, at the level we are at, should we be looking at this revenue stream?

Just seen Barwell now have one. Tamworth do. Rushall do. And so on.

It’s regular non match day income, and is becoming the norm.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch?

By bert's dad12/10 09:27Tue Oct 12 09:27:34 2021In response to Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 372

Yes - 4G because we share with Nuns

1 person likes this 1 person

By VoR11/10 22:13Mon Oct 11 22:13:50 2021In response to Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 471

3G pitch for football.

4G pitch for football & rugby...they have a shock pad.

We need to leave the main Stadium pitch as it is...it is good enough to play in League Two...once again we are back to FA rules.

A small-size (3/4 size) 3G pitch outside of the Stadium for Community use would be a very good revenue stream.

By MJNB11/10 22:21Mon Oct 11 22:21:56 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 443

FFS, get this league two idea out your head for now.

We are southern premier.

Without revenue streams, we’ll never be anywhere near the football league.

A 3g/4g pitch may enable us to progress as Harrogate or Sutton did initially.

By VoR11/10 22:24Mon Oct 11 22:24:38 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 413

I agree.

By bert's dad12/10 09:31Tue Oct 12 09:31:14 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 339

Perhaps the owner of the land should actually pay for something. As a landlord they have a very easy ride.

By MP2312/10 11:46Tue Oct 12 11:46:45 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 307

Why should they ?

By bert's dad12/10 12:01Tue Oct 12 12:01:46 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 300

Because some landlords have to pay for things like drainage. Separating the land from the club was a great boost for whoever owns the land and a disaster fir the football club.

By NBFC_London11/10 22:19Mon Oct 11 22:19:10 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 418

We are nowhere near league 2 - so it’s absolutely irrelevant!
Even if we won back to back promotions (not including this year!) it’s minimum 4 years away - which again is not going to happen!
Not sure what the obsession with EFL standard is to be honest

Edited by NBFC_London at 22:22:28 on 11th October 2021

2 people like this 2 people

By VoR11/10 22:25Mon Oct 11 22:25:48 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 391

It's dictated to us by the FA's rules.

It's nothing to with me!

By bert's dad12/10 09:31Tue Oct 12 09:31:57 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 322

We will never be in the Football League.

By MJNB11/10 22:34Mon Oct 11 22:34:47 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 373

The FA rules currently state we need a ground good enough for southern league premier.

Possibly good enough for national north to compete in southern league premier playoffs.

We comply on all fronts.

By The_Hullablue11/10 22:28Mon Oct 11 22:28:22 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 380

Your fixation with Boro planning for EFL is 100% to do with you.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
How bright should floodlights be in the Conference?

By VoR11/10 22:30Mon Oct 11 22:30:00 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 371

No...it's the FA rules.

It's nothing to do with me!

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 10:48Tue Oct 12 10:48:41 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 320

Come on, VoR, at least be honest with us. There is absolutely nothing in any FA rules to say that a club in our position has to plan for EFL membership. To suggest otherwise is dishonest. Try a bit of research - go down to Liberty Way on Saturday, find a Lowestoft board member and ask how their plans for FL membership are going. Then pop along to Barwell to ask what their plans for EFL membership include. Remember that they are both teams above us in the current football standings.

If they don't need to plan a 1,000 seater stand, then why do we? If we are lucky, we may make it back to National League North within five years. I would not bet on us being any higher than that within 10 years. Please drop the EFL nonsense - it has never happened to us in the past is never likely to happen to us in the future.

Also, you keep referring to "our great club". In footballing terms, we are not a great club. We are not a non-league giant (or sleeping giant). We are a club that had some notable successes over the years and at one time were a pretty big semi-pro club that has since gone bust a few times and is now a small club that barely scrapes by. That's all. Boro is important to us, but is pretty insignificant in the football pyramid and is most likely to stay that way.

By NBFC_London12/10 10:57Tue Oct 12 10:57:20 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 301

To suggest EFL standard in the same sentence is lunacy and nothing but a pipe dream - VOR, please stop harping on about something that is completely irrelevant at the moment - and don’t say it’s not you, it’s the EFL, because it is YOU suggesting the idea, not the football league!

I’m all for having plans and laying out the future - Greg is correct, the main plan at the moment can not be more than 5 years ahead - and it has to be getting out of this league (upwards) and becoming a stable conf north side - that has to be the short term goal. We are nowhere near looking further ahead than that at the moment! And judging by what is going on in and around the club - I think that even that 5 year plan is extremely ambitious just to get to conf north!

By VoR12/10 11:13Tue Oct 12 11:13:15 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 299

A 5-year plan would be a very sensible place to start.

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 11:36Tue Oct 12 11:36:39 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 310

Yes, this. Absolutely this. A sensible 5 year plan detailing how we can maintain our status in our current league or maybe achieve one promotion. Anything else is unlikely in the extreme. So can we please drop all talk of anything like EFL?

Edited by Greg (NBFC) at 11:36:51 on 12th October 2021

I have a cunning (and simple) plan.

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/10 11:47Tue Oct 12 11:47:09 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 340

Plan.

A) What income is expected from gates, sponsorship
B) bills have to be met
C) are improvements imminent and if so what cost

So….
A - B - C = money available to pay for product to satisfy A)

Re: I have a cunning (and simple) plan.

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 11:50Tue Oct 12 11:50:37 2021In response to I have a cunning (and simple) plan.Top of thread

Views: 336

(Putting VoR hat on) Let's talk to Qatar Airways - they are sponsoring lots of sport nowadays. Maybe they will drop a few million on Boro - so let's go for a 10,000 seater stand instead.

Sorry, VoR, the temptation was just too much ;)

By VoR12/10 12:13Tue Oct 12 12:13:57 2021In response to Re: I have a cunning (and simple) plan.Top of thread

Views: 266

A bit of humour helps Greg, you are on a roll this morning! lol

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/10 11:57Tue Oct 12 11:57:58 2021In response to Re: I have a cunning (and simple) plan.Top of thread

Views: 264

Better still.

They give every club in this league a few million so all of them can build FL stadiums, be successful and win things.

By VoR12/10 18:27Tue Oct 12 18:27:32 2021In response to Re: I have a cunning (and simple) plan.Top of thread

Views: 249

The Football Stadia Improvement Fund.

Administered by the FA & backed to the hilt by the Premier League.

We can apply to them for grants.

I would suggest that we apply to them for a grant to upgrade our floodlights if/when the time comes...

I believe Stamford received a grant to upgrade their floodlights.

Edited by VoR at 18:28:08 on 12th October 2021

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 16:17Wed Oct 13 16:17:22 2021In response to Re: I have a cunning (and simple) plan.Top of thread

Views: 198

Stamford has a totally different model to Boro, VoR. Firstly, it's matched funding so we would have to find half of any investment. Secondly, Stamford sold their old ground and developed the new one in partnership with the local college - which is an external study centre for Loughborough Uni and hence has strong sporting connections. Please don't even consider telling me about Stamford - I live there!!!

By VoR13/10 18:34Wed Oct 13 18:34:45 2021In response to Re: I have a cunning (and simple) plan.Top of thread

Views: 175

That's a coincidence!

It's just that I believe their floodlights are of the low energy type?

Would that not attract a grant from the FA's Stadia Improvement Fund?

By boropod (BoroughPod)12/10 18:31Tue Oct 12 18:31:29 2021In response to Re: I have a cunning (and simple) plan.Top of thread

Views: 220

Not that cunning, we've had money off them before.
Its on a 50/50 basis (well it used to be)

worst forum poster ever

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 12:04Tue Oct 12 12:04:57 2021In response to Re: I have a cunning (and simple) plan.Top of thread

Views: 305

"be successful and win things"

Nah, sorry - you are back into fantasy land.

By VoR12/10 10:51Tue Oct 12 10:51:13 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 306

Greg.

They are the FA's rules once you enter the National.

Both Ian Neale & Lee Thorn would have known that.

By MJNB12/10 10:53Tue Oct 12 10:53:23 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 328

You have grace to get your ground up to scratch for the football league. Just as you have grace to get your ground up to the next level up after promotion by 31 March of the following season, or face immediate relegation.

How do you think Sutton got in the football league, despite having a plastic pitch?

How do you think Harrogate got in the football, despite having a plastic pitch and limited seats?

I would have thought VoR would have known that.

By VoR12/10 10:55Tue Oct 12 10:55:32 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 303

I agree.

That's stated in the FA rules...but you need to have your plans in place prior to entry...that's all.

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 11:01Tue Oct 12 11:01:31 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 274

VoR, you seem to have researched it in depth. What quality of plan is required? Does a team entering National need to have fully approved building plans for the fabled 1,000 seater stand, or just show that the development is feasible if promotion should happen (I suspect the latter, and if so we already have that).

By almost average 212/10 13:54Tue Oct 12 13:54:39 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 289

I suspect all you have to do is say yes we will carry out the necessary improvements in the alloted time . Then carry them out . I wonder if Vor has been to grounds like Harrogate or Barrow let alone Kettering , Leamington or Brackley . You really need to stop worrying about LW being upto EFL standard . If we can ever afford to put together a team to finish above Notts County , Grimsby or the newly rich clubs that currently inhabit the National league a few ground improvements won't be a problem .

By VoR12/10 18:34Tue Oct 12 18:34:53 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 200

I've been to Leamington & Brackley.

I was at the Brackley game where Mark Noon had his leg broken, an injury that effectively finished his career.

I believe that Leamington are moving again nearer to the centre of the town...VS posted an article about that last week.

By VoR12/10 11:10Tue Oct 12 11:10:42 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 311

The latter...plans in place, to demonstrate our POTENTIAL for promotion to League Two.

They are the FA rules.

We only need another 500-seater stand to reach 1000 seating capacity.

The FA rules permit us to have two stands to reach that capacity.

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 11:44Tue Oct 12 11:44:58 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 264

So you seem to be saying that we already meet the physical requirements for National League, and we can already show that we have the potential to meet the (unlikely) need for EFL that National League require. In other words, we currently need to make no changes whatsoever (apart from building a winning team) to get to the highest practical level (and match the highest level any incarnation of the club has ever played at). So what in hell has all this been about? Why have you been banging on about bigger stands, more seats etc etc etc? We don't need bigger plans and we probably never will unless the rules change.

By VoR12/10 12:28Tue Oct 12 12:28:57 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 273

Please read the document Greg & it will all be explained to you.

Upon entry into the National, we have to demonstrate the potential for entry into the EFL.

We need to have the plans in place to show the FA...demonstrating what we propose to achieve membership.

All we need to show them is that we have drawn up concept plans for a new 500-seater Main Stand & a floodlight upgrade.

That's it...job done.

We are already at 4650 capacity at LW...perfect.

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 16:13Wed Oct 13 16:13:42 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 204

As I understand it, VoR, we don't need detailed plans of developments to be allowed into National League. We can effectively point at the half way line next to our current stand and say "If we are promoted we'll put another 500 seater there and stick another couple of lights on each pylon. Oh, and replace the tannoy wiring." And that's it - requirements met.

If the truly amazing should happen and we won the National, we would then have a year to prepare detailed plans, achieve permission and have it built. It truly is just a massive distraction and total waste of time & resources to do it now.

By VoR13/10 17:11Wed Oct 13 17:11:55 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 196

I am not saying we have to do it now, we will be asked the question by the FA when we enter the National.

It's not just a few bulbs on a few pylons, it's a floodlight upgrade from 250 lux to 500 lux.

Assuming we agreed a 10-year rolling lease upon entry in the National, renewing each season, the next MOST CRITICAL item on the agenda would be to agree with NBBC as to whether we can upgrade the floodlights to 500 lux...it will need planning permission (light pollution & all that!).

If we can't get planning permission, we are stuffed & so we will never be able to play in the EFL...that would be a very sad state of affairs.

So:-

1. Lease.

2. Planning permission granted for a floodlight upgrade to 500 lux.

Then move on..

You were talking about Spartan Thistle the other day.

Yes, I remember them, when all of the top teams in Nuneaton joined the Coventry Alliance, from memory, Thistle & Nuneaton Ex-Servicemens stayed in the Nuneaton Amateur League.

Stockingford AA progressed to being one of the top clubs in the area & reached the Midland Combination Division One.

The 'Cabbage' is where JG started his managerial career, I believe.

They were an ambitious club & I believe wanted to progress into the Midland Combination Premier Division.

To do that they needed to erect floodlights at the Piv...
NBBC turned their application down...end of story.

The off-field stuff (2% interest from the fans) links with the on-field stuff (98% interest from the fans) & has to stay 'just in time'.

That's why we need to plan ahead...

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 17:37Wed Oct 13 17:37:33 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 176

"we will never be able to play in the EFL...that would be a very sad state of affairs"

We never have played at that level and the chances are our playing teams will never be good enough to get us to that level. You seem to have difficulty with that concept. We are at best a National North club. Why do you keep thinking there is a chance of EFL? Is there any evidence, history or justification that makes you think there's a chance?

You seem to think that quoting numbers will blind us to the fact that we are talking in fantasy land!

By VoR13/10 18:51Wed Oct 13 18:51:39 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 173

We don't know what the future holds for the Boro Greg, after we are just a handful of ashes, scattered to the four winds.

We have to plan ahead, so that the youngsters are given the same opportunity that we have had to enjoy some fantastic times following our beloved club.

We owe that to them...

Present.

Future.

Our legacy.

I agree with you that our rightful place in the immediate future, should be a return to the National North & to get away from this 'non-contact/7 days saga!...

I can't settle to that at all!

The process of designing a new Main Stand, obtaining planning permission, sending it out to tender, carrying out value engineering & cost reduction exercises after the tenders have been received, drawing up the Building contract & physically building the structure on site, will take two years, if we want to obtain the best possible design & cost solution.

Then there's the issue of obtaining planning permission for the floodlight upgrade...if we can't achieve that, we can forget about completing Ian Neale's project, by building the new Main Stand.

Plenty to think about there Greg.

Forward planning eh?

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 19:33Wed Oct 13 19:33:24 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 156

"The process of designing a new Main Stand, obtaining planning permission, sending it out to tender, carrying out value engineering & cost reduction exercises after the tenders have been received, drawing up the Building contract & physically building the structure on site, will take two years"

You may want to check how long it took to design and build the whole ground at Liberty Way. I seem to remember that was way less than two years for a whole ground, so are you certain your time estimate is accurate?

By VoR13/10 20:32Wed Oct 13 20:32:29 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 183

We will need to employ an Architect to draw up a concept design first & employ a PQS (Quantity Surveying practice), to produce an accurate budget cost plan, so that we know where we are starting from...that all takes time.

Then we will need to have a debate on how it is going to be funded, before the rest of the process starts.

Also, the length of time to gain a planning permission will be significant.

There will no doubt also be other consultees.

I don't know what the existing infrastructure capability is at LW...for example, will it need a substation upgrade?

Many questions...many answers needed.

Edited by VoR at 20:34:03 on 13th October 2021
Edited by VoR at 20:46:33 on 13th October 2021

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 20:35Wed Oct 13 20:35:53 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 149

Once again you seem to have misread my question - it's becoming habitual. My question was: I am sure that the whole process of planning, getting permission and building all of the current ground took less than two years. Why do you think the relatively minor changes we may need (but probably won't) within the next 50 years will take longer than a whole ground?

By VoR13/10 20:45Wed Oct 13 20:45:27 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 182

If you read my latest answer followed by my first answer to your questions:-

My latest answer details the issues to be addressed pre-contract.

My first answer details the procedures to be followed once we have secured the finance to allow us to press the GO button.

The time it takes to secure the finance would be a challenge.

That's what I discussed with John on Monday...& what we could do, as the Supporters Co-op to take that in hand.

I think we could come up with a viable plan between us but it's 'little steps'...we couldn't do all of that in 12 months...I would set a target of 2 years on a project like that...

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 21:17Wed Oct 13 21:17:00 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 160

But why do you think that process would take longer than designing, planning and building a whole ground? That was the question.

By VoR13/10 22:08Wed Oct 13 22:08:23 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 152

Because we are starting with no money Greg & it will take time to raise the funds.

Plus we will have to question every aspect of the design & materials specified repeatedly, to make sure we can get best value for money.

We need to prepare a concept design first of all & get it costed.

That will give us a good start.

Then raise the money...how long will that take?...maybe 6 months perhaps?...who knows!

By VoR13/10 23:46Wed Oct 13 23:46:39 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 140

There are three answers to that question:-

1. In the wider sense (& looking at the scale of the development)..the club.

2. In the more specific sense, the club (JG & his investors/backers) have worked tirelessly to reduce the inherited debt (since JG took over ownership) to manageable levels.

3. Again in the more specific sense, I assume that the Supporters Co-op have some money in the Bank.

By The_Hullablue13/10 22:29Wed Oct 13 22:29:26 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 141

Who is we in this context?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By boropod (BoroughPod)13/10 19:17Wed Oct 13 19:17:18 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 184

Joining the National league North will not get us away from the non contract 7 days notice saga.
Quite a few more players will be on contract, but many players in North are not on contract and contacts can be terminated if both parties agree anyway The last season we were there was a right merry go round of players probably with good reason.

worst forum poster ever

By VS Town (VS Boro)13/10 17:45Wed Oct 13 17:45:12 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 167

Come on - There was very little evidence that Salford City* would get into the FL....... what have they got that Boro dont have ;)

* And probably every other "traditional" non-league clubs promoted in the last 10+ years.

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 19:29Wed Oct 13 19:29:57 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 160

But they weren't dropping through leagues like a stone with gates of 300.

By VS Town (VS Boro)13/10 19:34Wed Oct 13 19:34:42 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 173

I think the sarcasm is lost on you :)

to get to the FL, I would say all "traditional" non-league clubs (and even ex FL clubs probably) have had ££££££££££££s spent on them

By bert's dad13/10 18:28Wed Oct 13 18:28:58 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Money

By MP2313/10 17:26Wed Oct 13 17:26:03 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 181

Fail to understand the point of all your posts, you are talking for the most part about things that are very unlikely to happen in the next 20 yrs at least, promotion to the EFL is a fantasy so why do we have all these posts about what we need to do to prepare for it, they are meaningless

By boropod (BoroughPod)13/10 18:48Wed Oct 13 18:48:39 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 147

The records stuck
The records stuck
The records stuck
The records stuck
The records stuck
The records stuck
The records stuck
The records stuck
The records stuck

worst forum poster ever

By MJNB13/10 17:17Wed Oct 13 17:17:12 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 168

''I am not saying we have to do it now, we will be asked the question by the FA when we enter the National.''

IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/10 12:40Tue Oct 12 12:40:20 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 270

"Upon entry into the National, we have to demonstrate the potential for entry into the EFL.
The wording is vague (something like "has potential"). I certainly see nothing about having plans drawn up

Like Wealdstone perhaps who have more seats but lower capacity

https://www.wealdstone-fc.com/club
The Ground: The Vale, Grosvenor Vale, Ruislip, HA4 6JQ
Capacity: 3,432 (698 seats, 854 covered standing, 1,880 uncovered standing)

By VoR12/10 12:56Tue Oct 12 12:56:51 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 263

The potential to upgrade the capacity to 5000 including 1000 seats.

I watched the Wealdstone v Solihull Moors game the other night on BT Sport.

Wealdstone's Stadium is a right hotch potch.

Edited by VoR at 18:38:14 on 12th October 2021

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/10 13:01Tue Oct 12 13:01:12 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 259

but they are a conference national club which (at best) the boro could hope for.

How did they manage that!!!! given your view the Boro should be building ready for National.

By VoR12/10 18:39Tue Oct 12 18:39:09 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 241

Not building...just planning for the EFL.

Edited by VoR at 18:39:28 on 12th October 2021

By MJNB12/10 11:51Tue Oct 12 11:51:37 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Me and my brother used to do things like this. When we were in the Beazer Midland. We'd get a pad and paper out and design grounds for Boro with fancy stands etc.

It was 1994. He was 12. I was 8.....

By mark-nbfc12/10 11:56Tue Oct 12 11:56:15 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 279

I still spend far, far too much time working out what I would do with the Boro if I won the lottery.

---
Hope is not a plan.

By VoR12/10 18:47Tue Oct 12 18:47:23 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 227

You wouldn't have to do much Mark.

Just need to build a 500-seater Main Stand, upgrade the floodlights to 500 lux (from 250 lux) & install an audible tannoy system that can be heard all around the ground.

Ian Neale has done the rest for you.

You just need to complete his Stadium project & concentrate on building a team to compete in League Two.

That wouldn't cost you a fortune.

Or you could look to play in League One (like Morecambe & Cheltenham Town)...NO NO NO...let's not go there eh! lol

Edited by VoR at 18:48:08 on 12th October 2021

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 11:53Tue Oct 12 11:53:52 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 247

I used to draw plans for spaceships, including kitchens and big bedrooms. Now that I look back on it I never bothered with toilets, though. Strange, eh?

By VoR12/10 11:20Tue Oct 12 11:20:16 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 287

There is no issue...just an awareness of the requirements.

By MJNB12/10 11:14Tue Oct 12 11:14:58 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 280

so, what's the issue?

By MJNB12/10 11:00Tue Oct 12 11:00:04 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 261

Internally, maybe, but nothing more than that.

IF we ever get in that position, look at it properly. There's literally no need currently.

By NBFC_London12/10 10:59Tue Oct 12 10:59:19 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 279

So what? EFL is not going to happen anywhere in the near future or mid term future and long term future - why would we even be looking at that? It’s so far away from us - we are more likely to go the other way down the leagues than upwards! It’s pointless even including it in any future plans!

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 10:53Tue Oct 12 10:53:21 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 285

We are not in the National League - or even close to it. You are planning for a fantasy. Reality is that we are in Southern Premier Division Central and need to plan for that level and maybe one above (more probably one below). Anything else is stupidity!

By VoR12/10 11:00Tue Oct 12 11:00:51 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 277

I agree...but when we get back into the National League North, all that you have just said will be forgotten & the supporters will want us to be promoted to the National.

That's what being a football supporter is all about...dreaming!...you know that...we've been in the National before & they were great times!

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 11:04Tue Oct 12 11:04:41 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 282

If "we get back into the National League North, all that you have just said will be forgotten & the supporters will want us to be promoted to the National" (note the bold - it's still a long way ahead).

Yup, absolutely. No argument there. So when (or if) we reach the dizzy heights of National North, let's look at how we can plan to meet the needs of the next level up. Doing it before that is pointless - and far from our most pressing priority.

By VoR12/10 18:53Tue Oct 12 18:53:05 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 238

One of our more pressing priorities is the need to keep repairing those temporary buildings.

Edited by VoR at 18:53:27 on 12th October 2021

By VoR12/10 11:07Tue Oct 12 11:07:04 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

But it has to be part of our forward planning...

- 5 years ahead.

- 10 years ahead.

- 15 years ahead.

By Greg (NBFC)12/10 11:34Tue Oct 12 11:34:01 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 289

I don't know all of your background. VoR, but I suspect that you have little or no experience in football business management. It's different to normal business management because there are too many intangibles, and the lower you go down the pyramid the less certainty you have. 15 year planning is lunacy, 10 year is madness and 5 year is unpredictable. Both 10 year and 15 year are pointless.

Just to crystallise that last assertion and maybe bring the stupidity of long term planning, 15 years ago we finished mid table in Conference North. The following season we were liquidated and went bust. How much did our forward planning predict that one? 10 years ago we were promoted from Conference North to Conference Premier. How would a 10 year plan have put us where we are now? From our positions 10 years ago and 15 years ago, no forward plan would have accounted for the reality of our football leading to now.

By VoR12/10 12:32Tue Oct 12 12:32:07 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 287

I agree with your sentiments.

I am presenting the technical aspects to being in the football pyramid...nothing more.

The ground development has to stay just in front of the team's development, to allow the team to achieve their full potential.

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 16:08Wed Oct 13 16:08:09 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 184

This is what I keep telling you, VoR. Each season we can plan our infrastructure to meet our current level and start considering the level above. The time to begin planning the much discussed 1,000 seater stand is when we achive promotion to National League. Until then there is no point.

By VoR13/10 16:23Wed Oct 13 16:23:09 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 201

Greg.

We don't need a 1000-seater stand, we already have a stand that has a 514-seat capacity.

We just need to have some Architect's concept drawings in place, to build a new 500-seater stand, for when the time comes, to present to the FA, upon request.

Nothing more...just a few concept plans, elevations & section drawings to show the FA what we will provide to meet with their rules.

We can take LW up to 1000-seat capacity when/if ever the time comes?

The FA rules allow us to build two separate stands.

Ian Neale will have known that when he designed & built the ground.

He has provided the Supporters with a ground that meets National requirements (that they can be proud of) & that can be upgraded to EFL standards, with the minimum of fuss...he did a very good job, in my opinion.

First class viewing standards in accordance with the 'Green Guide', uninterrupted viewing with cantilevered roofs, galvanised steelwork, crush barriers to the required standard etc etc...need I say more?

Edited by VoR at 16:23:51 on 13th October 2021

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 16:49Wed Oct 13 16:49:11 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 188

You have produced a rather lengthy reply that has 100% missed the point. We can do all that if we ever achieve promotion to National. There is no conceivable reason to do it now. That was the point.

By VoR13/10 16:53Wed Oct 13 16:53:25 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 203

I'm not saying we need to do it now!

It will need to a part of our forward planning.

As long as we have thought about it.

By The_Hullablue13/10 18:18Wed Oct 13 18:18:11 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 192

We have thought about it.

Thanks.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By Greg (NBFC)13/10 16:55Wed Oct 13 16:55:20 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

I don't think it has slipped by the notice of anyone on here - so can we now stop talking about it and address the immediate issues that Boro has?

By VoR13/10 18:59Wed Oct 13 18:59:21 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 172

Yes, by all means.

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/10 11:06Tue Oct 12 11:06:55 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 290

And if Boro did get to national the ambition (as was last time) would be not to get relegated.

Is Carrow Road or Vicarage Road ready to host champions league football?

By MJNB12/10 11:07Tue Oct 12 11:07:47 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 286

Is Carrow Road or Vicarage Road ready to host champions league football?

Yes, comfortably.

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/10 11:13Tue Oct 12 11:13:27 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

You know what I meant :)

Actually I am not sure - I know Liverpool had to make changes to their new stand and I believe Other clubs are inspected.

Also - following the argument - surely Barrow must now be planning for champions league - they only 3 promotions off the premier

Edited by VS Boro at 11:14:14 on 12th October 2021

By VoR12/10 11:23Tue Oct 12 11:23:15 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 252

I doubt it but they will possibly be planning for League One...but that's another story...let's not go there! lol

By MJNB12/10 11:03Tue Oct 12 11:03:01 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 294

''I agree...but when we get back into the National League North, all that you have just said will be forgotten & the supporters will want us to be promoted to the National.''

See, I disagree, I think our fans are disheartened at the moment, BUT are also realistic. Most of my friends/ Boro 'network' see us as a mid table Conf North club if we are lucky now, and would relish playing the likes of York, Kidderminster, Darlington, Chester, Boston, Hereford, Telford, Southport again.

By NBFC_London12/10 11:02Tue Oct 12 11:02:14 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

We are nowhere near the national league north VOR - wake up and be realistic ffs

By VoR12/10 18:59Tue Oct 12 18:59:19 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 197

Not according to JG/SH pre-season!

By MJNB12/10 10:50Tue Oct 12 10:50:15 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 294

'' If we are lucky, we may make it back to National League North within five years. I would not bet on us being any higher than that within 10 years.''

+1

By The_Hullablue11/10 22:33Mon Oct 11 22:33:08 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 342

You keep mentioning them is entirely down to you.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By NBFC_London11/10 22:31Mon Oct 11 22:31:18 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 323

It is what you are proposing the club do - we aren’t in the EFL, so it’s completely irrelevant

By VoR11/10 22:36Mon Oct 11 22:36:18 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 343

No...it's the FA rules.

It's nothing to do with me!

By MJNB11/10 22:36Mon Oct 11 22:36:48 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 314

The FA do not state southern premier clubs should have a football league standard ground.

By NBFC_London11/10 22:26Mon Oct 11 22:26:56 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 361

You’re the one suggesting it and to make the stadia and pitch EFL standard! It’s everything to do with you!

By MP2311/10 22:15Mon Oct 11 22:15:40 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 385

Then you need floodlights which is another extra cost, grass pitches need maintenance and re seeding at end of season, 4g pitch in Stadium makes absolute sense, low maintenance costs and brings in money from community use,

Edited by MP23 at 22:17:52 on 11th October 2021

By VoR11/10 22:23Mon Oct 11 22:23:52 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 370

I agree.

It's as MJNB said, we are unlikely to be any higher than the National.

So, it will be a judgement call by the owner.

If we did ever be in a position to gain promotion to League Two, we would have to rip it up & replace it with a grass pitch to the standard we have now...

FA rules do not permit the use of 3G pitches in the EFL.

By The_Hullablue11/10 22:30Mon Oct 11 22:30:36 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 343

"FA rules do not permit the use of 3G pitches in the EFL."

Are they FA rules or EFL rules? They are not the same.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By MJNB11/10 23:07Mon Oct 11 23:07:29 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

I’m fairly certain you’re correct, Hulla.

There was a saga involving the national league playoffs/Barrows promotion during a non complete season where this was highlighted.

The FA have their rules. But each individual ‘league’ have there’s too, and can make their decisions. Eg if the football league didn’t wish to admit a national league side, they wouldn’t have to even if the FA wanted them to

By VoR11/10 22:35Mon Oct 11 22:35:03 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 376

All of the rules at all levels of football are set by the FA.

'The Football Association - National League System'

- the football pyramid.

The Premier League is Step 1.

The National is Step 5...the highest level in the non-league football pyramid.

The Boro are currently in the SLP at Step 7.

Edited by VoR at 19:02:59 on 12th October 2021

By The_Hullablue11/10 22:37Mon Oct 11 22:37:18 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 338

You sure?

For some reason I thought the Premier League set rules fir membership of the Premier League, the Football League set rules for membership of its leagues and so on.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By VoR11/10 22:39Mon Oct 11 22:39:21 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

The FA - NLS

By The_Hullablue11/10 23:04Mon Oct 11 23:04:40 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 310

Erm, what?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By MJNB11/10 22:35Mon Oct 11 22:35:59 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 327

Cheers for hijacking another sensible thread!

By boropod (BoroughPod)12/10 13:05Tue Oct 12 13:05:16 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 278

As if its not bad enough being at level 7, we now have a constantly yapping dog.

worst forum poster ever

By Wotnostrikers12/10 14:25Tue Oct 12 14:25:49 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 297

It’s taken me ages to get onto the forum today I have been trying to get a bloody Groundhog out of my house.

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/10 15:26Tue Oct 12 15:26:05 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 222

https://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/nuneaton/article/321822

By MJNB12/10 13:06Tue Oct 12 13:06:39 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 241

You've not bought into this 15 year plan have you?

Football League 2030

By MP2311/10 22:27Mon Oct 11 22:27:03 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 364

I am well aware of that

By NBFC_London11/10 22:25Mon Oct 11 22:25:35 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 369

We know that you can’t use artificial pitches in the football league
But for the current situation it’s absolutely irrelevant to talk about EFL standards

By MJNB11/10 22:24Mon Oct 11 22:24:50 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 371

Sutton and Harrogate have/are both doing that. And it’s been a worthwhile investment for both.

By VoR11/10 22:18Mon Oct 11 22:18:18 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 374

Yes & maybe a perimeter fence (similar to that at Bedworth), for security?

By MP2311/10 22:12Mon Oct 11 22:12:09 2021In response to Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 392

Was watching the EFL on Quest earlier from Saturday, the programme was based at Sutton for their game with PV, Sutton Chairman was interviewed before the game and said how much the 3/4G pitch had helped to bring the community into the club, they obviously had to go back to grass but he said the club benefited from the artificial one.

By MJNB11/10 22:22Mon Oct 11 22:22:54 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 359

Exactly the same for Harrogate

400 crowds up to 1600 through the community having more awareness of the club.

By MP2311/10 22:26Mon Oct 11 22:26:17 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 344

Purely from a watching football point of view I don’t like them but if you consider all the benefits from a commercial and community point of view then I think we will see more and more clubs in non league installing them.

By VS Town (VS Boro)11/10 21:59Mon Oct 11 21:59:59 2021In response to Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 384

Yep; not a fan, but has great use for football clubs.

Great demand for them

By Vernon Slain11/10 22:08Mon Oct 11 22:08:56 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 395

I do understand your arguments,but I would sooner see a Boro side that can play well and gain promotions on grass which then by default generates the necessary income stream.
But then again I am old school.

From Saint Jimmies's Park.

By MJNB11/10 22:23Mon Oct 11 22:23:28 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 366

That too would be my preference.

Just can’t see that happening anytime soon, so looking at an alternative.

By NBFC_London11/10 22:07Mon Oct 11 22:07:25 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 402

Pretty sure the rugby club wouldn’t want one though
Do they use the main pitch? I am not a rugby person myself, but if I was I don’t think I’d want to be diving around on an artificial pitch

By VoR11/10 22:29Mon Oct 11 22:29:00 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 334

4G have a shock pad.

Cov have installed a new one at the Butts...it's superb.

Worcester Warriors have just installed one.

Saracens have one.

By MP2311/10 22:13Mon Oct 11 22:13:20 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 373

Rugby teams play on artificial pitches now , Scaracens, Gloucester both have them

By NBFC_London11/10 22:20Mon Oct 11 22:20:54 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 376

Fair enough - might be a good thing then - I know however though some 3G pitches I’ve played on do have wear and tear on them so would require an element of maintenance I would think

By VoR12/10 19:11Tue Oct 12 19:11:34 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 199

They have to be inspected regularly.

The performance standards are laid down in the FA'S rules.

By VoR11/10 22:38Mon Oct 11 22:38:14 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 333

Hockey players prefer water-based pitches...just thought I would throw that one into the pot.

By bert's dad12/10 09:34Tue Oct 12 09:34:45 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 321

Personally I think we are missing out on swimmers. Adding water the pitch would be a big boost for future Tom Daly’s.

By Wotnostrikers12/10 09:37Tue Oct 12 09:37:26 2021In response to Re: Should we get a 3G/4G pitch? Top of thread

Views: 300

There are enough divers in the Premier League we don’t need them in the SL

Previous thread: Could we find the money to by Vernon Slain12/10 15:36Tue Oct 12 15:36:21 2021view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.