Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: AND ANOTHER by MJNBToday 00:58Today at 00:58:00view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator15/6/2019 10:40Sat Jun 15 10:40:55 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: FAO Mark-nbfc by Vernon Slain14/10 12:43Thu Oct 14 12:43:32 2021view thread

JG interview

By MP2327/10 20:14Wed Oct 27 20:14:51 2021

Views: 914

Really disappointing to hear a Boro manager say that Alvechurch were so good on the ball that Boro had to play a counter attacking game, we were at home to Alvechurch we should be taking the game to them

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person

Highlights

By VS Town (VS Boro)27/10 21:17Wed Oct 27 21:17:13 2021In response to JG interview Top of thread

Views: 840

https://youtu.be/grfO2H-yTH4

Re: JG interview

By Camp hill reserves (Camp hill reserves)27/10 20:39Wed Oct 27 20:39:59 2021In response to JG interview Top of thread

Views: 804

Jimmy was absolutely correct alvechurch were excellent.
Their midfield was dominate throughout the second half even when they were down to ten men .
Good team and I was very impressed

By MJNB28/10 11:37Thu Oct 28 11:37:52 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 687

Think I've just kinda accepted this is where we are at, and dealing with it.

We play village teams, some are good, some are terrible, some we beat, some we don't.

By almost average 229/10 06:08Fri Oct 29 06:08:01 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 543

Forest Green Rovers are a village team .

By MJNB29/10 09:38Fri Oct 29 09:38:54 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 516

Taking the village element out of it, I've accepted this is where we are, we win some, we lose some.

By Vernon Slain29/10 11:53Fri Oct 29 11:53:26 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 483

I accept that too. I have been looking to see if there are any signs,after nearly 4 years,of us improving to get out of this village league with an above-village level team.
The present manager has had a few shots at this quest due to discontinued seasons and I'm afraid the jury are delivering their verdict with attendance numbers. The last three undefeated games have stabilised things for now,but a run of losses will be the norm.
But as someone else in here states,we have to like it or lump it. There is no alternative anywhere near the horizon.

A poor imitation.

By VoR29/10 12:21Fri Oct 29 12:21:14 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 507

I think we have to accept that we will remain in this league (at best) for another three seasons & by then the club will know where it is going both on & off the field.

The unthinkable could happen & we could get relegated but let's not go there!

I have just checked the average attendances in the SLPC & the Boro currently lie 6th with an average of 447, which is higher than the budget of 400.

The Boro have always had a hardcore fanbase of circa 350 & maybe attendances will drop off to that level but hospitality is doing well & sponsorship is at good levels, so JG should be able to put out a competitive team on the pitch.

It's frustrating for everyone I know but it is what it is I'm afraid & we have to grin & bear it...at least we still have a club.

By Greg (NBFC)30/10 10:22Sat Oct 30 10:22:54 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 401

"I think we have to accept that we will remain in this league (at best) for another three seasons"

So there's no need to be planning a 1,000 seat capacity any time soon, then?

3 people like this 3 people

By VoR30/10 10:35Sat Oct 30 10:35:11 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 458

Within 15 years Greg would be my dream!

I hope I live long enough to see it!

You will remember the Canal Side stand at Manor Park, with it's old rusting dutch barn roof & it's three levels of terracing?

When it was time for the roof to be replaced, the club extended the length of the steel columns & constructed new roof steelwork, with new roof cladding, all ready to accept a seating deck...

So, way back then the Boro were planning for an increased seating capacity.

Good forward planning for the Boro is nothing new...

By The_Hullablue30/10 17:38Sat Oct 30 17:38:46 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 419

When it was time for it to be replaced, the unit did nothing.
For years after that time the club did nothing.
Then it talked about turning it into a 1,000 seater stand.
Then the roof started to fall down.
Then there was more holes rhan roof
Then it was condemned.

Then, and only then, did the club do anything.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
How bright should floodlights be in the Conference?

By VS Town (VS Boro)30/10 22:42Sat Oct 30 22:42:50 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 289

The new owners (stadiasafe) made massive improvements to manor park which was negl3cted by previous owner(s) that led to demotion and most the ground closed

By Gustavus30/10 19:55Sat Oct 30 19:55:52 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 326

But other than those things if there is one thing the Club(s) is (are) famous for it’s “forward planning”!

By VoR30/10 22:41Sat Oct 30 22:41:52 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 281

As far as Manor Park & Liberty Way are concerned, the various owners of the club have always tried to stay ahead of the game & provide the fans with the best possible facilities, that they could afford.

The earliest recollection I have is the hundreds of tons of quarry waste that were imported into MP to build up the Beaumont Road terrace in the famous 1966/67 cup-run season.

OK, the rest of the club's history is chequered & is well documented but they have always tried to do their best regarding the facilities.

In LW we now have a stadium that we can all be proud of...

Edited by VoR at 22:42:29 on 30th October 2021

By The_Hullablue30/10 23:42Sat Oct 30 23:42:45 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 270

"As far as Manor Park & Liberty Way are concerned, the various owners of the club have always tried to stay ahead of the game & provide the fans with the best possible facilities, that they could afford."

In a very competitive and crowded field, this is the single biggest pile of rubbish you have posted.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By VoR31/10 00:00Sun Oct 31 00:00:41 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 278

Manor Park was a massive & iconic non-league ground.

Repairing & maintaining & developing a ground of that size was no mean feat.

Liberty Way is an excellent facility.

By The_Hullablue31/10 09:29Sun Oct 31 09:29:12 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 224

Which is why in the 80s nothing seemed to have been done to it beyond volunteers cleaning and painting.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By MP2331/10 00:19Sun Oct 31 00:19:29 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 274

LW is not an excellent facility, it’s a ground that has portacabins for changing rooms and offices, a main stand that’s half arsed, access to its main gates and turnstiles that needs the goodwill of the rugby club

By Vernon Slain31/10 08:28Sun Oct 31 08:28:10 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 244

The whole shebang concerning Liberty Way since Day One has given the impression of incompetents being in charge.
Manor Park was not ideal but,at the risk of repetition,it was massively neglected by its owners,but the punters still came.
Amateurs in charge of a semi-pro football club.

A poor imitation.

By VS Town (VS Boro)31/10 08:45Sun Oct 31 08:45:23 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 238

If you mean StadiaSafe as owners ?

They
* replaced canal side cover
* revamped main stand.
* built Berlin Wall
* installed pitch barriers to standard
* removed out of spec crush barriers
* split cock and bear so it could be fully utilised
* hard floor all round the stadium

Prior to this, all football stadiums were neglected and H&S did not exist

The reason s many clubs move is down to maintaining old stadiums —— even rushden and Kettering could not maintain Nene Park

By The_Hullablue31/10 09:32Sun Oct 31 09:32:27 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 216

I mean all of the owners as owners.
Stadisafe wouldn't have needed to do all those things if previous owners had updated and maintained the ground to the levels VOR claims.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By Vernon Slain31/10 08:56Sun Oct 31 08:56:07 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 223

It's agreed that those items were done but they were done as a necessity and were not done as routine work.
It probably could also be said that a VoR was needed on board with a forward-looking plan.
It's fair,I think,to say that the on-the-field structure outpaced the boardroom.
I'm leaving it there right now because we will only rake over the embers again and we know what will happen again.

A poor imitation.

By VS Town (VS Boro)31/10 09:31Sun Oct 31 09:31:53 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 200

Thing with football stadiums (pre-Bradford) is that the owners did not give a damn.

Bradford was in 1985. I really suspect if it was not for that Boro ground would not have been (in effect) closed.

H&S did not exists till the 90s?
Remember leaving Manor Park after the Oxford game and the gates at the bottom of the Cock and Bear opened inwards ----- so the crowd was pushed back without much thought for those pushing to get out,

In summary. With MP I think it important to remember pre-Stadiasafe and what they had to do.
The events that Bradford and Hillsborough had a (correctly) massive impact on grounds.

Quick look at the 1st Alliance season - There are probably only 5 at 6 at original ground (Altrincham, Stafford, Redditch, Barrow, Bath & Bangor)

By VoR31/10 09:49Sun Oct 31 09:49:36 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 205

Hence the 'Green Guide'...the design guide for modern day sports stadia, supplemented by the relevant membership rules for the different competitions.

The advent of the modern day 'flat-pack' stadiums.

Everton's new stadium will be the next one...

By Gustavus31/10 09:44Sun Oct 31 09:44:25 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 195

And the main stand was rebuilt pre stadia safe and what tipped the previous Club into administration.

Loads of creditors were left owed money which wasn’t paid back.

By VS Town (VS Boro)31/10 10:01Sun Oct 31 10:01:12 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 188

I recall it being closed, and temporary stand erected next to it.

When it was revamped; I am unsure

That time was really bleak, with no-one running the club. I honestly feel Boro being an embarrassment to the league was the main reason behind demotion (that was justified IMO)

By VoR31/10 10:07Sun Oct 31 10:07:48 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

The reason for demotion, I believe, was non-compliance with the requirements of the Taylor Report, the problem being caused by the capacity of Manor Park at the time being over 15k...a technicality.

By Gustavus31/10 11:07Sun Oct 31 11:07:12 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

That’s very unlikely since the Taylor Report (even the interim version) hadn’t been published by the tine we were demoted.

By The_Hullablue31/10 11:20Sun Oct 31 11:20:06 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 192

This ^^^

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By VS Town (VS Boro)31/10 10:09Sun Oct 31 10:09:39 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 185

That was official reason.

(again; perhaps conspiracy) but a) The club was an embarrassment and b) The league did not have the power to demote*

* I believe Boro had to appeal the demotion before being allowed back in under Phillips.

By The_Hullablue31/10 10:08Sun Oct 31 10:08:26 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 182

I really cannot believe the capacity was that high at that time.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By The_Hullablue31/10 10:03Sun Oct 31 10:03:51 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 181

I kinda miss the excitement and rush that came from being the owner of a lucky ticket that got you to the Beaumont Place End (why was it always called the Beaumont Road End?)

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By VS Town (VS Boro)31/10 10:06Sun Oct 31 10:06:49 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 189

why was it always called the Beaumont Road End
err, because the houses that overlooked were on Beaumont Road (even though it was a cul-de-sac off the main Beaumont road).

Why does one sentence need so many edits :)

Edited by VS Boro at 10:07:09 on 31st October 2021
Edited by VS Boro at 10:07:24 on 31st October 2021
Edited by VS Boro at 10:07:46 on 31st October 2021
Edited by VS Boro at 10:08:20 on 31st October 2021

By The_Hullablue31/10 10:09Sun Oct 31 10:09:56 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 191

No,they were on Beaumont Place.

And no idea why one sentence needs so many edits when it is still wrong :-)

Do not know how to add pics on here, but the road behind main stand was Beaumont Road, but behind goal was Beaumont Place.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Edited by The_Hullablue at 10:12:13 on 31st October 2021

By VS Town (VS Boro)31/10 10:15Sun Oct 31 10:15:53 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Some idiot has just texted me and educated me to the fact the road behind the berlin wall was "place" not "road"

By The_Hullablue31/10 09:49Sun Oct 31 09:49:55 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 193

I remember helping as part of True Blues clearing out the mess under the stand, I also helped bolt some of the seats in place during days off school/on walk home from school.
My memory is not all it could be, and I know there were very few complaints at the time, but I don't recall the actual folding and reforming in 1991 being forced, more voluntary so the new owners were not saddled with the debts (or the manager).

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By Gustavus31/10 09:55Sun Oct 31 09:55:23 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

I remember an Administrator being appointed and he took over the Club and he eventually did the deal with Stadiasafe but I think that took a while.

There were lots of stories in the Trib about companies owed money for work they did on the stand.

And this was after being demoted for supposed financial irregularities which I think was 87.

By The_Hullablue31/10 10:02Sun Oct 31 10:02:11 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 199

I thought we got demoted cos our ground was falling to bits?
As I say, my memory of this time is a little hazy as to the off field politics.
I know I was firmly "Kelly out", but not sure he was totally to blame for the down turn in fortunes.
I also know some of the stadiasafe lot had a saviour complex around that time, and I know some of them had a problem with "rank and file fans"
Did the change from AFC to stadiasafe happen as quickly as I recall, and was the manager sacked and replaced at the same time by the new board? (Green out, Sugrue in?)

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By MP2331/10 16:53Sun Oct 31 16:53:08 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 165

As I recall it Sugrue was given Managers job by the Administrator Headley something or other then during the summer the new board got the club and appointed George Rooney

Edited by MP23 at 16:53:59 on 31st October 2021

By Gustavus31/10 10:05Sun Oct 31 10:05:01 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 193

It was opaque whether it was ground or financial irregularities but I think it was the latter. I don’t think any minutes were published.

Kelly was gone by then after Shooter won the case.

Administration was fairly lengthy from what I remember and payment of debts pretty minuscule. It was then reformed in 1991.

By VS Town (VS Boro)31/10 10:04Sun Oct 31 10:04:42 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 196

I think Sugrue in was correct, but only a short term fix (mid season) with Rooney coming in for the start of the next season.

By MP2331/10 16:46Sun Oct 31 16:46:13 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 168

That’s correct, Sugrue was put in charge by Adminstrator I think and had to beg and borrow players to put out a team to fulfill our fixtures

By The Silverback31/10 01:08Sun Oct 31 01:08:10 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 273

Correct, main stand side of the ground is a mess - Portakabins galore, steel containers, poor social club. Beach shingle instead of tarmac. Has a caravan park look to it and all needs to be demolished.

Rugby Club side terrace has no roof - not good at all in the winter months.
Dodgy car dealership has dumped hundreds of cars behind the stand, causing access and safety issues.

Other two stands okay but functional.

Stadium cannot be described as an excellent facility compared to other non-league grounds I've visited

By Vernon Slain31/10 11:27Sun Oct 31 11:27:26 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 188

The Silverback.
???
Having not been to LW for some time...
Car dealership and hundreds of cars ? Seriously ? Where ?

A poor imitation.

By VoR31/10 00:04Sun Oct 31 00:04:33 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 258

The Bradford fire & the Taylor Report didn't make life any easier, with Manor Park being over 15k capacity.

By The_Hullablue31/10 09:31Sun Oct 31 09:31:20 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 204

The years of neglect before that was the problem there. If the ground had been maintained and improved, that wouldn't have been such a problem.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Edited by The_Hullablue at 10:39:36 on 31st October 2021

By bert's dad31/10 10:31Sun Oct 31 10:31:46 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Or if any of the grand plans over the years had only been half completed.

By VoR31/10 08:16Sun Oct 31 08:16:51 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 231

I don't know how many supporters can remember the implications the Taylor Report had on Manor Park?

The ground capacity was reduced to 2500 & the Beaumont Road end was roped off, until improvements could be made to the ground. There was just a perimeter walkway.

The Main Stand had to be fire-lined.

It had a new roof, replacing the old rusting dutch barn roof.

The Cock & Bear End terracing in front of the stand was re-modelled, with the construction of a new block wall.

All of that was in addition to the concrete terracing constructed at the Beaumont Road end & within the Cock & Bear End stand, carried out during Noel Kelly's ownership.

The terrace mound in the corner of the ground by the Social Club was removed & the area by the main gates was flattened & tarmaced.

A temporary toilet block was installed at the Cock & Bear End in the corner by the canal side.

All of that was in addition to the reconstruction of the Canal Side stand, with its new block wall at the rear.

A lot of work & a lot of expense...

By The_Hullablue31/10 09:38Sun Oct 31 09:38:34 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 192

Another of work that needed to be done due to many many years of neglect.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By VoR31/10 08:33Sun Oct 31 08:33:25 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 218

Not forgeting the floodlight upgrade for the Bournemouth FA Cup tie, paid for by the SKY TV match fee.

SKY Sports required the floodlights to be upgraded to make the televising of the match possible...

By The_Hullablue31/10 09:40Sun Oct 31 09:40:00 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 189

You keep coming up with example after exams of how the club did not maintain and improve the ground with any forethought at all despite your ludicrous claims to the contrary.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By Vernon Slain29/10 15:12Fri Oct 29 15:12:06 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 475

Why should there be a time period of at least three years before the club will know where it is going on and off the field ? Are you speaking for the Club ? Does,therefore,the Club have a blueprint in action and are falling behind this plan ?
To me,what you are suggesting is that this present stagnation would appear to be satisfactory to someone,some party or whosoever for the next three years.
Or perhaps it is the cynical side of me getting the better.....again.

A poor imitation.

By VoR29/10 15:50Fri Oct 29 15:50:53 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 550

I don't think you are being cynical, I think you are just as fed up & frustrated as the rest of us, at the way the club seems to stagger from crisis to crisis.

At least JG & JD have a vision for what they want the Boro to be, a Community Club which has been 'given back' to the people of the town & they should be applauded for that...whether they have a 'blueprint' you need to ask them that question.

I am only trying to look at the reality of the situation.

JG appears to be maximizing the revenue into the club & with JD (& their backers) they are managing the debt but that said, average attendances are 200+ below where they could be, when compared with the likes of Tamworth, Bromsgrove Sporting & Stourbridge & that's largely due to our poor league position.

Unless a new owner or a major investor turns up knocking on Jimmy's door, he will attempt to carry on business as usual, trying to manage the club in a sustainable way.

I don't think getting out of this league will be easy & I would be very happy to set a target of three years to achieve that aim...that is my opinion.

Edited by VoR at 16:33:36 on 29th October 2021

By VS Town (VS Boro)29/10 17:34Fri Oct 29 17:34:29 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 400

Has any owner not had a vision?

Again, what does the club offer the “community” (definition needed) th3 likes of clubs in hartshill, stockingford or attleborough dont?
If (as rumoured) the chairman is being paid then are resources being diverted into this “community” project?

By Jebbs29/10 18:03Fri Oct 29 18:03:52 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 406

Had a convo with someone who said the Club had registered over 350 kids.
To me, that's a lot of children and for whatever reason their parents (and the kid possibly) have chosen Nuneaton Borough as the Club they want their kid playing footy at.
They may like the idea of being "involved" in the Club of the town that they live in, possibly see it as a bigger set up and more professional/fun having a tournament at LW than the side of the cricket pitch at Attleborough Sports Club or Stockingford Rec.
As a kid I wouldn't dream of playing football for a Hartsill , Stockingford or God forbid Camp Hill team, the kids in my estate would have lynched me and I'm pretty sure the reception wouldn't have been warm at any of those places too...
The Club offers the whole Nuneaton Community a place/base for kids to play a sport. it looks like it's going well, the numbers suggest it is, not sure why those families of 350 kids chose the Boro but it seems like there's more on offer than the likes of Hartsill etc.

By VS Town (VS Boro)29/10 18:45Fri Oct 29 18:45:35 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 379

These kids don’t play at liberty way / they play at pitches at the side of the road. Places like hartshill and Attleboro have coaches and pitches within walking distance of their community.

By Jebbs29/10 18:46Fri Oct 29 18:46:41 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 383

I went to a tournament , it was at LW

By MJNB29/10 13:08Fri Oct 29 13:08:11 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 453

''The Boro have always had a hardcore fanbase of circa 350 ''

AND the rest. Our 'hardcore fanbase' is currently the lowest it's ever been IMO. Many regulars of many years are attending less and less.

I'm not getting into that debate, but our core support has dropped, no getting away from that fact.

By VS Town (VS Boro)29/10 12:32Fri Oct 29 12:32:06 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 466

at least we still have a club.

I think the word "we" needs a definition.

By MP2327/10 20:43Wed Oct 27 20:43:48 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 795

That’s the point we are getting outplayed football wise by a village team ( no disrespect to Alvechurch)

By VoR27/10 20:39Wed Oct 27 20:39:00 2021In response to JG interview Top of thread

Views: 769

Danny Murphy said on Match of the Day about Manchester City, that possession of the ball is the best form of defence.

The Boro were under so much pressure for the first 25 minutes of the second half, that their only outlet for most of that time was for Breedon to keep bombing the ball upfield & it kept coming straight back at the defence.

Alvechurch were able to reach our penalty area at will, we couldn't get near them...

It's a good job they didn't know where the net was!

By VS Town (VS Boro)27/10 20:32Wed Oct 27 20:32:55 2021In response to JG interview Top of thread

Views: 767

“ good on the ball ”

Something that JG does not believe in / capable of getting a team to do / sign players capable of doing.

By BobbyDazzler28/10 09:04Thu Oct 28 09:04:25 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 706

I don't think Jimmy or the boro tend to watch teams lower down the pyramid. S Mclintock for Alvechurch is very local, played for Strachan, Atherstone, Coleshill and now Alvechurch. He can really play

By pitman28/10 13:01Thu Oct 28 13:01:18 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 609

JG probably needs a trip to Specsavers as he trialled him 18 months ago and didn't rate him!

By VoR27/10 20:46Wed Oct 27 20:46:29 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 758

Connor Shanks put a defence splitting ball through to Anthony Dwyer in the first half last night & the pure quality of the pass (into the penalty area) seemed to take Dwyer by surprise...Mo Salah would have been licking his lips!

By VoR27/10 20:41Wed Oct 27 20:41:35 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 732

To be fair, the Boro looked the more dangerous team last night in front of goal but it was a battling defensive performance that kept us in the game.

By MP2327/10 20:36Wed Oct 27 20:36:46 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 735

Every interview he does you would think we were up against the 1970 Brazil World Cup winning team

2 people like this 2 people

By VS Town (VS Boro)27/10 21:03Wed Oct 27 21:03:14 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 718

Low expectations

By joetowny (Joe)28/10 10:16Thu Oct 28 10:16:54 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 662

No text

Edited by Joe at 10:26:09 on 28th October 2021
Edited by Joe at 17:08:21 on 28th October 2021

By VS Town (VS Boro)28/10 10:33Thu Oct 28 10:33:06 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 621

"Living within means"
Totally agree, but I suspect most clubs at this level are doing just that.

By joetowny (Joe)28/10 11:03Thu Oct 28 11:03:39 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 640

No text

Edited by Joe at 17:07:35 on 28th October 2021

By VS Town (VS Boro)28/10 12:23Thu Oct 28 12:23:53 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 592

I wonder if this "community club" is actually diverting resources from the 1st team. It's rumoured that the chairman is paid; I wonder why because there seems to be plenty of people working for the club.

That said, I know that parents at successful youth-team-setup at a local(ish) club felt the youth team(s) were subsidising the first team and hence many moved their lads to other local teams.

Hopefully the community side is self-sufficient.

Edited by VS Boro at 12:24:30 on 28th October 2021

By joetowny (Joe)28/10 12:47Thu Oct 28 12:47:33 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 605

No text

Edited by Joe at 17:06:35 on 28th October 2021

By MP2328/10 13:00Thu Oct 28 13:00:36 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 580

But you are talking Joe you have posted

By joetowny (Joe)28/10 17:05Thu Oct 28 17:05:51 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 559

yes you are right

By VS Town (VS Boro)28/10 10:31Thu Oct 28 10:31:30 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 597

Only just listened.
Admire his honestly in that he says "miles off top 4, but should be mid table" BUT him and his assistant predicted playoffs (or winners). Given the turn round of players he has to accept he got it wrong (again) in the close season.

As for Alvechurch comments.
I see to recall him saying something like
Litchfield - "We decided to bore them for 70 mins and then hit them"
Lowestoft - "They are an ageing team, and knew they would tire after 70 mins"
Peterborough - "We will have to have everyone behind the ball to stop them"

^^^ Hardly the talk of a manager who has faith in his team to impose their style/ability on opposition.

From what I see and read, Boro rely heavily on Baker; If teams stop him, what are the options?

By VoR28/10 10:31Thu Oct 28 10:31:07 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 590

According to the FA, we are a 'recreational' sports club.

We are playing in an 'elite' National League grade stadium, with excellent spectator facilities & viewing standards, equal to any stadium in non-league football, with a superb pitch.

Clubs are coming to the Boro & lapping it up.

The Boro management & players have to contend with that, no matter what we think, Nuneaton Borough are still a big scalp at this level.

We have to step up to the plate.

By Vernon Slain28/10 10:59Thu Oct 28 10:59:13 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 614

Maybe that should be that 'some' Clubs are still coming and lapping it up. But,for what it's worth,I would reckon that by now most teams have realised before visiting that this NBFC is a poor imitiation of the previous marques,and have nowt to fear.
I'm going to Stourbridge on Monday to see the Boro for the first time since Lichfield last season.Travelling to home games for me is not worth the time,money and effort.
I will be there early enough to see if we still look like Raggy Arse Rovers of the Sunday League or whether or not we are beginning to look the part.

A poor imitation.

By VoR28/10 11:20Thu Oct 28 11:20:07 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 606

Alvechurch were a very good footballing team with no cutting edge up front & they loved stroking the ball around on that playing surface.

If you can't enjoy coming to LW & playing on that pitch instead of having to play most of your football on mown cow fields, then you shouldn't be playing the game.

By Boro boy28/10 12:00Thu Oct 28 12:00:57 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 592

they will look good when we didnt put pressure on them or the ball. we had two banks of four just in front of our box and we let them play. no one closed them down at all.

By VS Town (VS Boro)28/10 11:22Thu Oct 28 11:22:02 2021In response to Re: JG interview Top of thread

Views: 605

Very few pitches at this level are poor. IIRC alvechurch was pretty poor

Previous thread: Price reduction by VS Town28/10 18:36Thu Oct 28 18:36:56 2021view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.