Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Didn't enjoy my trips to Solihull either by VS CityToday 10:27Today at 10:27:24view thread

Oldest article: Cam McWilliams by MJNB8/1 21:11Mon Jan 8 21:11:02 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Junior section, ladies teams and the Co-op by Shrewblue3/2 19:41Sat Feb 3 19:41:19 2024view thread

Griff v Paget Rangers match thread

By StockingfordBrew3/2 09:59Sat Feb 3 09:59:43 2024

Views: 764

Again for ones interested, one interesting question if we get to a point where its looking likely an phoenix club will not be formed in time for season will we see some interest in Griff.

Things would get awkward if say Griff have a good season next get promoted then Nuneaton AFC are formed in a lower league playing out of town season after. I just feel playing out of town will be a sucker punch for reformed boro.

Anyway back to match thread

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match thread

By Boropod (BoroughPod)3/2 10:22Sat Feb 3 10:22:28 2024In response to Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 748

Tried Griff but not for me, good luck to them.
Running track and even further back seats.
Don't live in Nuneaton so that swings it for me.
Don't have any allegiance to anyone at the mo incl H and H, apart from Baggies but thats to far and expensive for weekly fix.

Note to self, 'be careful what you wish for'

By Spurs and Verde (Spurs and Verde)3/2 11:03Sat Feb 3 11:03:26 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 675

Exactly same with me for Griff - just not for me at all, just have exactly zero interest in watching football that low and would rather watch league 2 football on tv than go a game - which is my main concern with Pheonix Boro aswell cause even if Boro playing that low I still have zero interest. Southern league football is hard to watch I couldn’t imagine what that low would be like

Retired Boro fan
Tottenham and Austin FC sufferer

By The Silverback3/2 15:29Sat Feb 3 15:29:48 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 571

Absolutely agree.
I have watched a couple of Griff games and the standard of football in the MFL is very poor. A lot of 'hoof ball'.
Much worse than the Southern Central, which isn't very good either tbh.
If AFC Nuneaton are in Griff's league or lower for a few seasons they won't attract many casual fans, will just be for the diehards i'm afraid.

Edited by The Silverback at 15:31:11 on 3rd February 2024

By Spurs and Verde (Spurs and Verde)3/2 15:50Sat Feb 3 15:50:12 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 570

And then take the team out of Nuneaton and loss some of the diehards aswell - ouch

Retired Boro fan

By The Silverback3/2 16:46Sat Feb 3 16:46:56 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 541

Absolutely spot on.
Many fans won't travel to Hinckley to watch MFL football that's for sure. 🙈

By blueandwhitemad3/2 17:29Sat Feb 3 17:29:08 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 575

I will if that is what it takes to get our club back playing giving a financial boost and chance to our new owners and moving back up the leagues . Together with our eventual move back to Nuneaton/new ground and my car will come in quite useful. And i have supported for over 40 years and seen it all.

Edited by blueandwhitemad at 17:31:31 on 3rd February 2024
Edited by blueandwhitemad at 17:32:02 on 3rd February 2024
Edited by blueandwhitemad at 17:42:50 on 3rd February 2024
Edited by blueandwhitemad at 19:14:28 on 3rd February 2024
Edited by blueandwhitemad at 19:20:18 on 3rd February 2024

1 person likes this 1 person

By The_Hullablue3/2 19:53Sat Feb 3 19:53:53 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 411

What would make Nuneston AFC "our club"?
What link would it have with Boro?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
How bright should floodlights be in the Conference?

By Wotnostrikers3/2 19:58Sat Feb 3 19:58:10 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 416

The Badge

By The_Hullablue3/2 20:08Sat Feb 3 20:08:49 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 424

Why would they have the right to that badge?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By Wotnostrikers3/2 20:29Sat Feb 3 20:29:31 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 404

That’s what GH said, take it up with him.

By The_Hullablue3/2 20:53Sat Feb 3 20:53:21 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 382

I'm trying to.

Seems odd they are claiming to be the continuity Boro.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By Wotnostrikers3/2 20:59Sat Feb 3 20:59:50 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 357

They have been looking for a football club to own and this gives them that very chance with little outlay and if they pitch the idea convincingly enough they will have a ready made fan base.

By The_Hullablue3/2 21:15Sat Feb 3 21:15:21 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 358

Yeah, I get that, but they have not shown anything to lay claim to the fanbase and history of The Boro.
Nothing.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By Wotnostrikers3/2 21:30Sat Feb 3 21:30:55 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 362

They seem to think by calling a meeting with the “bereaved “ supporters of the late Nuneaton Borough FC to talk about their new football club AFC Nuneaton is all the connection they need.

By The_Hullablue3/2 22:21Sat Feb 3 22:21:58 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 348

There surely has to be more to it than that.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By Wotnostrikers3/2 22:42Sat Feb 3 22:42:59 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 347

The more you think about it the more you realise how clever it is, you form a new club hire a National league standard stadium and start your team playing there at step 7.
At that level you could play at Paul’s Land at little expense but you have done much better by luring a couple of hundred or more Boro fans along to Hinckley because you have marketed it as a rise from the ashes Boro….and make sure the players kiss the badge at every opportunity.

By VoR3/2 22:50Sat Feb 3 22:50:15 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 334

You could not play at Pauls Land, it does not meet the FA's ground-grading criteria for Level 11/Step 7.

That said, Stockingford AA used to play at that level at the Piv, it was only NBBC refusing Planning Permission for floodlights that ended their ambitions for promotion.

Floodlights are required at Level 10/Step 6.

By Wotnostrikers3/2 23:09Sat Feb 3 23:09:54 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 337

NBBC helped to kill the Boro when we left Manor Park they should hang their amateur heads in shame

By VS Dysfunctional (VS Boro)4/2 07:35Sun Feb 4 07:35:14 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 329

My view is Boro had to move from Manor Park and it made sense. If Ian Neale had not separated ground from club we would not be in this mess now.

Manor Park was a dump....... a fondly remembered dump, but a dump non-the-less. What actually did Manor Park have? people talk with fondness about the cock-and-bear end. Great when populated, but that was vary rare.

Manor Park would have been very expensive to revamp.

>>>> Former Nuneaton Boro fan <<<<

By uneaton burro ("THE ERASER")4/2 08:09Sun Feb 4 08:09:12 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 313

Made sense to Stocker, and he had previous....Highfield Road, Harry Cleaver Ground...
He saw a great oppotunity in Manor Park...
Certainly didn't lose on the deal after shoving us in Liberty Way....

By VS Dysfunctional (VS Boro)4/2 08:33Sun Feb 4 08:33:24 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 304

The club was committed to moving before stocker cam on the scene.

He certainly did not lose from it, but witchout his involvement boro could well have been homeless.

Edited by VS Boro at 08:33:42 on 4th February 2024

By Wotnostrikers4/2 09:09Sun Feb 4 09:09:48 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 291

Nobody is disputing we had to move from MP you seem to have missed the point.
Boro had the chance to build a new stadium solely for themselves but NBBC did everything to thwart any decent ideas and that’s why we ended up sharing an inappropriate, doomed LW

By VS Dysfunctional (VS Boro)4/2 09:33Sun Feb 4 09:33:53 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 256

Oh yes - I agree (Jubilee & Bermuda).

On flip of the coin. They did sell MP to Noel Kelly for next to nothing.

I have/had no problem with sharing. It makes sense. IMO how Boro Leisure treated the Nuns and in particular Boro Leisure separating the ground from the club are the mistakes.

By VoR4/2 10:10Sun Feb 4 10:10:57 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 246

How much money did NBBC receive for lifting the covenant?

By uneaton burro ("THE ERASER")4/2 09:22Sun Feb 4 09:22:53 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 296

I remember the proposed site at Bermuda, it was turned down because Ellis and Everard stored chemicals
on their site adjacent to the planned build....
Didn't worry the Hospital that was nearby, and now the Council have their built their maintenance site near there....
Food for thought....

By Gustavus4/2 10:31Sun Feb 4 10:31:27 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 222

From
Memory there was a significant leak and contaminated land.

There has to be a significant clean up operation which took years before the current buildings were able to be built.

NBBC two biggest mistakes with the Boro were selling the ground to Kelly in 79 for peanuts and releasing the covenant.

It was obvious the sale would be squandered given the custodians over the years.

Oh and Stocker’s other great mess up was Coundon Road.

By Wotnostrikers4/2 09:33Sun Feb 4 09:33:06 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 261

Boro couldn’t go there because of the danger but it was ok for as many car showrooms as they could cram in and here we are now and NBBC are still just as indifferent to our plight.

By VS Dysfunctional (VS Boro)4/2 09:37Sun Feb 4 09:37:24 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 252

"Indifferent to our plight"

START - Putting the council hat on. (did I really type that)

Why should the council help a private company that serves about 500 for 20 weeks of the year.
Given the past record of the business I can see why they don't

END - Putting the council hat on.

By VoR4/2 10:14Sun Feb 4 10:14:16 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 251

They are public servants.

By VoR3/2 23:17Sat Feb 3 23:17:58 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 334

I have never been to the Piv, so I don't know what facilities exist.

I was told recently that Stockingford AA FC no longer exist & that a team from Coventry now play there (?)

The FA have recently introduced their ground-grading requirements for Level 11/Step 7, so they would need to be checked out at the Piv but IMO playing there at Level 11/Step 7 could be considered, even if some works to upgrade the facility are needed (?)

By almost average 24/2 09:37Sun Feb 4 09:37:50 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 285

RS Sports play at the Piv

You don't need much at step 7 The Piv , Ambleside , The Windmill or Bermuda Phoenix would all be ok for step 7 as they currently are . For step 6 you need a Pingles standard ground .

H&H are looking to start at the highest level possible and you can't blame for that all other clubs do . That's highly likely to be step 6 if they can get everything in place , the biggest problem they have is needing a step 6 ground . So what are the options .
Within Nuneaton
LW ( no go where being told ) or The Pingles . Already heavily used and they didn't want a Barwell situation were we had to play Fridays & Sundays etc
Extent it to the Nun & Bed council area then you bring in The Oval but that has the same problem as The Pingles .
So what's the next nearest . Sheppey Road , CBS Stadium , LR or Barwell
If they want to play on Saturday afternoons at step 6 next season which one of those gives them decent facilities and is realistic . It's a no brainer IMO

By VoR4/2 10:22Sun Feb 4 10:22:38 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 240

The FA's ground-grading requirements for Level 11/Step 7 are as follows:-

No specific capacity.

Covered accommodation for 50 spectators.

No seating.

No floodlights.

One turnstile.

A pitch perimeter rail with hardstandings on two sides.

DO ALL OF THE GROUNDS YOU MENTION SATISIFY THIS CRITERIA?

Also note, to be promoted to Level 10/Step 6 requires floodlights.

The installation of floodlights requires Planning Permission.

The FA have upgraded their requirement for new floodlighting installations at Level 6/Step 2 & below to 200 lux.

Edit:

The Pingles Stadium is suitable for Level 9/Step 5 & no higher.

It currently exceeds the requirements for Level 10/Step 6.

Edited by VoR at 10:23:19 on 4th February 2024
Edited by VoR at 10:25:36 on 4th February 2024

By almost average 24/2 10:30Sun Feb 4 10:30:51 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 250

I've been to many step 7 grounds that don't have any spectator cover whatever the grading might say . Most don't charge admission if they do it's often just someone sitting at a table . I've even known someone walking round with a bucket . Forget the rail as well again i've been plenty that are just roped off .

By VoR4/2 10:39Sun Feb 4 10:39:40 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 234

The FA have recently introduced ground-grading criteria for Level 11/Step 7.

They are continually building & strengthening the Pyramid from the bottom.

You have to keep your eye on what they are doing at all times, it is a constantly moving target.

The upgraded requirement for new floodlighting installations for clubs at Level 6/Step 2 & below to 200 lux is significant.

By almost average 24/2 10:50Sun Feb 4 10:50:28 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 232

I think you'll also find the ground grading rules at these sorts of levels are more an aspirational thing rather than hard and fast rules that are rigidly stuck to .

By VoR4/2 10:54Sun Feb 4 10:54:38 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 225

The FA allow a hiatus period up to 31st March in the following season to bring the Stadium up to the ground-grading requirements.

By Wotnostrikers3/2 23:20Sat Feb 3 23:20:05 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 320

So no need to move to Hinckley then ?

By VoR3/2 23:22Sat Feb 3 23:22:40 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 325

It would only be suitable for playing at Level 11/Step 7, if it currently meets the ground-grading requirements for that level & would need to be checked out by the FA's ground-grading team.

Equally, the Pingles Stadium would only be suitable for playing at Level 9/Step 5 & no higher.

Edited by VoR at 23:23:53 on 3rd February 2024

By Wotnostrikers3/2 23:32Sat Feb 3 23:32:07 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 305

It just highlights the nonsense of playing on a Sunday at a National League graded stadium in a different county for a club in step 7

By almost average 24/2 09:53Sun Feb 4 09:53:30 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 252

They made is clear at the meeting that one of their main reasons for picking LR was the ability to play games on a Saturday afternoon . They we're clear about this .

By VoR3/2 23:35Sat Feb 3 23:35:16 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 329

It doesn't mean we will be playing on a Sunday?

The driver in all of that will be the ability to agree a good commercial deal on the groundshare & at the same time allow the new Boro to progress upwards through the leagues.

By Wotnostrikers3/2 23:44Sat Feb 3 23:44:54 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 318

There won’t be as many fans there as they think

By The_Hullablue3/2 23:12Sat Feb 3 23:12:20 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 332

If we had not left MP, we would have died there.

If we had not won the replay at Histon we wouldn't have seen the end of that month, and we had already drawn down lots of money from the ground sale by then.

Did the council move the sporting use covenant to Liberty Way?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By VoR3/2 23:20Sat Feb 3 23:20:14 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 326

Gustavus has said that the Nuns have a covenant on LW.

By Wotnostrikers3/2 23:15Sat Feb 3 23:15:01 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 319

They put their metaphorical skips across every site the club looked at until we ended up at LW

By Vernon23/2 22:48Sat Feb 3 22:48:43 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 314

Someone on here,just after Lockout,asked the question as to whether the whole thing had been planned. Got me thinking now.

By VS Dysfunctional (VS Boro)3/2 21:20Sat Feb 3 21:20:27 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 349

Only when the go bust can they really have any claim to the history of Boro :)

By Gustavus3/2 21:06Sat Feb 3 21:06:22 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 349

They’ve presumably been told how to play it but ultimately the coop are the soul of the club or what was the club.

So whatever anyone says about them not preparing to start a club themselves they have an enormous role to play and Andy Walsh will be a v helpful Sherpa.

Let’s see what happens.

By Wotnostrikers3/2 21:32Sat Feb 3 21:32:12 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 333

I am sure something is afoot

By Gustavus3/2 20:03Sat Feb 3 20:03:59 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 391

Let hope more than that!

Good questions from Hulla

Finance and governance key for me!

Strangely optimistic in a way as feel let down since 2008 by a series of charlatans!

Edited by Gustavus at 20:04:21 on 3rd February 2024

By Vernon Slain3/2 11:10Sat Feb 3 11:10:58 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 672

Can you envisage the heading… Nuneaton Town/Borough/Town/Borough/AFC. v Leamington Hibernian. At SAA , Saturday 19/11/XX. KO 2pm.
No seats,All Standing. £11/£6 concessions. Bring your own brollies.

127–45-26-56–171-198…..160*/381

Edited by Vernon Slain at 11:11:51 on 3rd February 2024

By VoR3/2 12:14Sat Feb 3 12:14:17 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 576

If AFC Nuneaton are placed at Level 10/Step 6, the MFL Division One, a drop of 3 Levels for the new Boro, then Nuneaton Griff could well be their Xmas & New Year fixtures next season.

By Spurs and Verde (Spurs and Verde)3/2 11:29Sat Feb 3 11:29:54 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 633

I would go as far as to say I’d rather watch the SPL on sky than that

*SPL - Scottish premier league

Retired Boro fan

By almost average 23/2 12:28Sat Feb 3 12:28:43 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 572

I watch a lot of different football at a lot of different levels and your right step 6 ain't a great standard on the pitch , but what i will give it is you can tell the players are giving it their all . There playing because they want to rather than the money and it can be refreshing to watch for that reason , also the players limitations mean you rarely get meny sterile , boring games . It will be a shock to the system to a lot of Boro fans but if we're winning most weeks that could balance it a bit .

By VoR3/2 13:24Sat Feb 3 13:24:42 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 546

They are 'playing for the love of the game'.

By Spurs and Verde (Spurs and Verde)3/2 13:17Sat Feb 3 13:17:42 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 541

Not saying they won’t give 100% but it not for me

Prefer Heinz baked beans to Tesco Value baked beans
Prefer Dominos pizza to frozen microwave pizza
Prefer watching England international cricket to county level
Prefer watching big blockbuster films to cheap indie films
Etc

Quite a few example as sometimes the “cheap” alternative isn’t as good as the “proper” version and I sort of see griff level of football like that

Each to their own hope boro reform and do well but isn’t for everyone I’m afraid

Retired Boro fan

By almost average 23/2 13:28Sat Feb 3 13:28:52 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 552

If you go out round town on a weekend you will see local groups gigging in the pubs . There never going to have a record deal or be on tv but they can play their instruments , sing and put on a bit of a show but it's a bit rough around the edges it's also cheap . That step 6

Of course some prefer to only watch top acts in big stadiums and everything in between .

By VoR3/2 13:40Sat Feb 3 13:40:14 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 544

Have you watched any games at Step 7?

By almost average 24/2 10:03Sun Feb 4 10:03:31 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 258

plenty . There's a big drop of from 6 to 7 . Six is the lowest level non league / semi pro . Seven is very much county level and the differences are large in terms facilities , ability & how clubs are run . Any fans who want step 7/8 but the Griffs not for them really would be in for a shock .

By VoR4/2 10:45Sun Feb 4 10:45:55 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 241

IMO it would be a very reckless decision for the Boro to be placed at Level 11/Step 7.

So, as you have outlined very well, playing at HLR is a good choice.

By The_Hullablue4/2 11:04Sun Feb 4 11:04:01 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 234

Pssst.

There will not be The Boro next season.

Just a club pretending to be it, but with no link.

We all need to stop thinking of H&H as The Boro. They are not.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

By VoR4/2 11:08Sun Feb 4 11:08:12 2024In response to Re: Griff v Paget Rangers match threadTop of thread

Views: 222

My view is that any new club should start its own history.

We will always call our club 'the Boro', there have recent been posts on here referring to Stafford Rangers & Stevenage.

Previous thread: Council statement by Shrewblue24/1 14:52Wed Jan 24 14:52:06 2024view thread