Return to front page

Newest article: Walsall Wood by s. tone ragma7Today 18:42Today at 18:42:14view thread

Oldest article: Fao Mark by Armchair vulture24/1 16:50Wed Jan 24 16:50:07 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: THIS WEEK AT NUNEATON TOWN by LH8/7 19:00Mon Jul 8 19:00:52 2024view thread

Louis Baker signs

By LH5/7 13:13Fri Jul 5 13:13:52 2024

Views: 977

https://www.nuneatontownfc.co.uk/news/baker-back-to-boro?fbclid=IwY2xjawD0wqFleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHdwoK8tHmSa68kvctOH8gC2WYKjhfHnPgQcDbUx0MWgj6Dr7kG-JJMPeOA_aem_K-PjuWz4yGcZx5XqXezafw

reply to this article | return to the front page

James Harrison signs

By Lord of the Manor7/7 19:07Sun Jul 7 19:07:19 2024In response to Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 574

https://www.nuneatontownfc.co.uk/news/harrison-has-arrived

Re: Louis Baker signs

By MJNB5/7 13:32Fri Jul 5 13:32:21 2024In response to Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 909

Not gonna lie, makes me cringe a little saying ‘back at the Boro’

A) embrace a fresh start
B) we are Town now, not Boro.
C) his home ground will now be somewhere different to before, so again, not really back.

Good signing on paper, but wish we’d stop clinging to the past, else sadly, it’s not really for me. Understand the majority wanna, which is fine. Good for them.

I wanted the new, sustainable, proper run football club (which I applaud everyone for) to be just that- NEW.

6 people like this 6 people

By Dougie86/7 16:46Sat Jul 6 16:46:00 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 608

Agree with you. People are saying we are a big club in the league we are in. We have never played a game in any league so we can’t be a big club. The name Nuneaton was a big name in non league football in the 70’s and 80’s but not any more. Hopefully will be in the future, but not at step 6.

By s. tone ragma7 (stone ragma)6/7 17:27Sat Jul 6 17:27:00 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 632

We haven't played a league game yet but we are likely to have the best attendances in that league, we have signed players who have played above the league we will be in so there are reasons for people to say we are a big club in this league

By mark-nbfc6/7 09:37Sat Jul 6 09:37:55 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 636

I'll feed this back to the volunteer media team. The work is usually shared out between a group of us, each taking on bits of work to do, and we would probably benefit from some overall guidelines in terms of how to frame things (or not).

It's a difficult one, because for me this is definitely a new club*, and overall agree with your point. However, it's a new club that only exists because of the Boro and it's fan base.

We are all still learning.

* Never known so much fan involvement at all levels, Boro sharing financial reports, set up in a way that's different to other Boro iterations and so on...

---
Hope is not a plan.

Edited by mark-nbfc at 09:45:04 on 6th July 2024

1 person likes this 1 person

By Unnamed Sauce (Bedduth Blue)5/7 19:59Fri Jul 5 19:59:34 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 742

Call it what you will ( and I still think my suggestion of Real Donnithorne was the best suggestion by far. Really original and not taking stuff too seriously) .

it will always be the Boro for me. Simply because that's what they were called when I first started watching them. Whether they play in Great Yarmouth or Aberdovey, wear stripes, hoops or quarters , they will always be the Boro.

I don't remember them as Town first time round, the second time round was a travesty and I'm finding the third time round a little Meh tbh.

After the latest management/appointment fiasco I have tried to hate them but that is not working for me either. I threatened all types of boycotts embargos et cetera after that but I check this forum every day and I'm struggling to maintain that level of animosity tbh. Must be a Seymour Road thing in my DNA?

Don't care who plays for them as long as it isn't Marcus Jones.

Edited by Bedduth Blue at 11:08:17 on 6th July 2024

By MJNB5/7 20:18Fri Jul 5 20:18:34 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 739

Again, I’ve zero issue people seeing it as Boro, and a nickname etc etc

I just don’t want official channels making statements that someone is ‘back’ when they’ve never played a game before for the club.

Official stats will say our league game in august is the first Nuneaton Town game, not a continuation of Boro stats.

No-one is ‘back’

By VS City (VS Boro)5/7 17:00Fri Jul 5 17:00:31 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 776

Understand the majority wanna, which is fine. Good for them.

Not sure thats the case. Will probably get a better idea on a cold November Tuesday when playing (insert a club here).

>>>> Former Nuneaton Boro fan <<<<

By s. tone ragma7 (stone ragma)5/7 14:11Fri Jul 5 14:11:05 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 853

So are you saying we shouldn't sign anyone associated with the previous incarnation? This is a good signing for our level imo, I always believed he had potential when with the Boro before

By MJNB5/7 14:58Fri Jul 5 14:58:35 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 826

Why assume what I am saying?

No, I am saying we should say “Nuneaton Town sign Louis Baker” and stop making out we are re-signing players.

As it stands, Louis Baker has made ZERO appearances for our NEW club! He is not ‘back’, he has signed.

3 people like this 3 people

By Lord of the Manor6/7 09:58Sat Jul 6 09:58:12 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 598

Technically you're 100% right but people (some fans) still see us as Nuneaton Boro.
Similar badge,
similar kit,
similar name,
connections with people who now run it
etc etc etc
basically we're Boro with a new name that's started from scratch ....that's how people see and judge it

By VS City (VS Boro)6/7 13:23Sat Jul 6 13:23:21 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 569

but the new club has to attract those who got pissed off with the old club and stopped going OR just turned up 3pm on a Saturday. These have to be attracted to goto Bedworth to see "recreational football" (remember that?).

The new club must really promote the things that make it different. I am not sure that message is getting through to those less committed.
Understandably those who are involved will see it as a continuation but others have to be attracted.

My view. The club will be known as "the boro", but I would have liked to see a unique name and even different colours that (I dont know if possible) reflected the town more (why do the Nuns play in red).

I always said when IN took over it was "the emperor in new clothing". A opportunity for a revamp was missed big-time.

>>>> Former Nuneaton Boro fan <<<<

By almost average 26/7 15:35Sat Jul 6 15:35:38 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 547

Around 300 boro fans there today so i'd say plenty are prepared to give it a go .

2 people like this 2 people

New Club

By Unnamed Sauce (Bedduth Blue)6/7 11:14Sat Jul 6 11:14:46 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 654

Neither Nuneaton Town nor Nuneaton Borough are "new" names. They both have previous associations with the town and with Non League football. Obviously the latest set up is a new organisation starting out on a new season.

With hindsight it might have been a braver step to name it something new, however. Both Town and Borough carry previous connotations with them.

So I'm only partly tongue in cheek with Real Donnithorne. Or Inter Treacle.

By Gustavus6/7 08:24Sat Jul 6 08:24:43 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 630

I know what you mean - good point!

It’s the double standards.

Like people who brown nose someone when they think they are useful and then slag them off when they think they are not.

Or claim they are from Coventry most of the time and from Nuneaton when suits!

By s. tone ragma7 (stone ragma)5/7 15:30Fri Jul 5 15:30:58 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 756

I didn't assume anything, the fact I put a? means I was asking you a question not assuming !!!

By MJNB5/7 16:31Fri Jul 5 16:31:55 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 720

It was a very assumptive question and you know it

Apology accepted either way

By almost average 25/7 14:32Fri Jul 5 14:32:54 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 788

It's a difficult one part of me wants a fresh start but at the same time I don't really want to totally let go of the Boro who i've supported for 50 odd years . As long as the new club isn't run as badly as the previous incarnations that will probably do . As the Spurs fan says if we just wanted a fresh start playing under the name Nuneaton playing in Nuneaton why not follow the Griff , but that's clearly not what fans want .

By Lord of the Manor5/7 15:37Fri Jul 5 15:37:19 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 730

Don't worry .... Within a couple of years we'll have the "let's get Boro back " on the agenda again.

By s. tone ragma7 (stone ragma)5/7 14:35Fri Jul 5 14:35:03 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 764

Fresh start shouldn't mean you exclude a player because he played for the previous incarnation though

By almost average 25/7 14:48Fri Jul 5 14:48:40 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 806

Don't think Moley has a problem with re signing previous players it's the club clearly talking as if the new club is a continuation of the previous clubs unless I misunderstand him .

Personally I want us to sign the best players we can within budget whoever they may be.

Re: Apologies MJNB

By s. tone ragma7 (stone ragma)5/7 14:56Fri Jul 5 14:56:50 2024In response to Re: Louis Baker signsTop of thread

Views: 808

Ah ok, my apologies to MJNB in that case, I read it differently to that, my mistake

Previous thread: Bedworth lost 1-0 by almost average 26/7 15:43Sat Jul 6 15:43:18 2024view thread