Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Um.. by almost average 2Yesterday 16:56Yesterday at 16:56:37view thread

Oldest article: Council statement by Shrewblue24/1 14:52Wed Jan 24 14:52:06 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: MI Taxis discounted offers to The Oval by KB16/8 18:00Fri Aug 16 18:00:41 2024view thread

The Old Five

By Blue Beret15/8 20:42Thu Aug 15 20:42:49 2024

Views: 381

I suppose it's just possible that there are a few fans who remember the 1950's when the Boro' ran out to the strains of
'The Entry of the Gladiators' and voices were heard with "Come on, Boro', the Old Five'.
As a boy, it took me a long time to understand what this meant.
It wasn't shouted as an excited demand or command, but as a sort of understated, deadpan, statement of the obvious, well in keeping with Nuneatonians' special relationship with the English language.
Of course, the Boro' didn't score five goals every game, or even win every game. But the thought was there.

One interesting link between 1956 and 2024 is, it sems to me, the fact that several of the teams we played then are still facing us in the Midland League this year - or, at least reconstituted or re-formed versions of them.

So, when smart cynics in form us that we are going to be watching pub players, they need to be reminded that many of these clubs have been representing their districts for over a hundred years.

So, the rest of us will respect the players, the fans and the administrators who have kept these clubs going over the years.
MInd you, that doesn't mean we don't want to beat them.
So, Come on Boro', the Old Five.

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people

Re: The Old Five

By Vernon215/8 20:59Thu Aug 15 20:59:36 2024In response to The Old FiveTop of thread

Views: 1816

I seem to recall that the Old Five referred to the playing positions of the time. Sides were based on a two-three- five formation (or W formation. This was usually keeper,right back and left back (2). Right half-back,Centre half and left half-back (3). Then the forwards of right winger,inside right,centre forward,inside left and left winger (5).
That was always my understanding so I hope that this helps.

We were warned,but did it anyway.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person

Previous thread: Somel by Wolfman14/8 06:36Wed Aug 14 06:36:27 2024view thread