Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Um.. by almost average 218/9 16:56Wed Sep 18 16:56:37 2024view thread

Oldest article: Council statement by Shrewblue24/1 14:52Wed Jan 24 14:52:06 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Anyway by almost average 230/8 18:41Fri Aug 30 18:41:44 2024view thread

Absentee view

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 16:17Thu Aug 29 16:17:57 2024

Views: 880

Having hardly missed a home game since my early-teens and tried to see as many away games as possible I got totally disillusioned with MY club under the tenure of JG (his club); both on and off the pitch.

I have yet to visit the new setup, and I have not missed it. Not even checking the score until 5pm.
No doubt I will attend sometime soon, but (as it stands) I can’t see my enthusiasm returning; certainly not at the level the club finds itself.

I have been encouraged by the efforts of those now running the club and the relative openness that is being shown. I like the fact that attacking football is being played, the size of the crowds and that people seem to be enjoying the experience (when was the last time?).

I am also pleased (as things stand) that it appears Town will not “piss this tin pot league”. I want to watch competitive games with hopefully Town winning the league by the odd point (caveat – Phillips title winning season was a joy).

I am a bit disheartened by the reports of “conversations” in the changing room at half time on Monday. The club have written a “code of conduct” and reports seem to contravene this honourable objective.

I am also disappointed that it seems many still expect the players to have the ability of Premier League players. Do they not realise the level Town find themselves and its unlikely any of these players would have got anywhere near the team 12 months ago. If players are being signed who are not good enough then that’s the managements fault.

2 questions.
1 – A lot was made of academy players being signed. Are they playing?
2 – A few were “anti” this setup and wanted the H&H model. What do they think now?

>>>> Former Nuneaton Boro fan <<<<

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person

Re: Absentee view

By Lord of the Manor29/8 17:51Thu Aug 29 17:51:44 2024In response to Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 786

Cheers VS ....

We all know you have the club at heart ❤️ and it will always remain dear to you ... But....
(and don't take this personally, it applies to everyone)

You don't have to keep on telling us how much you don't like this or you're disheartened with that......
The club is NEW, with NEW ideas and NEW people running it. ( If you like you could always volunteer either in person or ideas to help out ) It's not gonna be run right first time every time but it's moving forwards .... Onward and upwards as they say.

Last point .... I'm ok with the management tearing a strip off the players at half time ( it made the difference ) .... Just close the windows please.

Edited by Lord of the Manor at 17:58:51 on 29th August 2024

2 people like this 2 people

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 18:08Thu Aug 29 18:08:48 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 731

WHAT.

One criticism of how the club is functioning and you latch onto it, ignoring the positives.

If reports are true, then if that was done in any other line of work it would not be accepted. Belittling anyone is bad enough; doing it in front of co-workers is a form of bullying.
Having been a victim (even consulting a lawyer) its not nice.

The "code of conduct" document is an admiral effort, but must be adhered to by everyone.

* Not use or tolerate inappropriate language or unreasonably aggressive behaviour.
* Respect the rights, dignity and worth of each and every person and treat each equally within the context of the sport
* * Never verbally abuse a player, coach, official or spectator based on their appearance, race, religion, gender, sexuality, age, or disability.

3rd point is badly worded IMO as it implies its okay to verbally abuse someone for any other reason.

https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/examples-workplace-bullying
3. Acting aggressive towards others
Some bullies may be very direct and act aggressively to intimidate others with their physical presence or by abusing their position. This sort of intimidation often takes place publicly, with the abuser intending to humiliate the person they're targeting. This is one of the most serious and harmful examples of bullying that HR departments regularly deal with and work to diffuse.

By Lord of the Manor29/8 18:27Thu Aug 29 18:27:59 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 737

Go into any dressing room in any club from premiership to step dot this is normal practice.... Yes you read that right normal practice . It's part and parcel of the dressing room. Right or wrong it happens

As I said perhaps you missed it....it's a new club .... No one expects there gonna get it right first time every time...... Give em some time, give em a chance, give em some credit instead of negativity. Get yourself over there and see for yourself, it's not good football at times, it's not right playing in Bedworth. I don't particularly like it but I'm giving a go for now .... I'm judging them on what they do and I see.

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 18:50Thu Aug 29 18:50:48 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 699

I didn’t hear what was said

I strongly dispute this goes on in every dressing room - even if it did ITS WRONG.

The club rightly have set expectations

By s. tone ragma7 (stone ragma)29/8 19:23Thu Aug 29 19:23:15 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 679

It does go on in every dressing room, ask any player

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 19:32Thu Aug 29 19:32:20 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 676

Why does that make it RIGHT (and I dispute that claim) and this is a new club; with forward looking ideas that have published a "code of conduct".

Racism goes on; domestic abuse goes on; abuse of match officials goes on; "sportsman ship" (as stated in code-of-conduct) goes on.
Does that make it right?
Was it right how Daish treated Dean, Armson (and I guess others)?

From what I have picked up, this sounds worse than a bollocking.

By s. tone ragma7 (stone ragma)29/8 19:47Thu Aug 29 19:47:18 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 652

You dont know what went on, you weren't there, it is second hand hearsay,

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 20:12Thu Aug 29 20:12:58 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 636

Did I say otherwise?

I have stressed that point several times.

By Lord of the Manor29/8 19:50Thu Aug 29 19:50:15 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 663

If any player think there being abused then there are proper channels and procedures to complain.
As of yet iv not seen or heard anything to suggest this is the case.

By Lord of the Manor29/8 19:11Thu Aug 29 19:11:40 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 665

I'll keep it to football but you're wrong, if the players want to go home and cry cos the gaffa shouted at em then maybe the bountiful game isn't for them.
Stand um and grow some I'd say.

My expectation is promotion....
And from what iv been told the club had a plan from day one and that was .... Promotion....

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 19:19Thu Aug 29 19:19:08 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 661

Really?

Bullying is horrible - all ages. Absolutely no need.

I would guess if anyone “stood up” then they would not be at the club very long. Should Dean have stood up to Daish?

The effect on mental health can be devastating (I know).

If the player is not good enough or not capable of doing what is asked - whose fault is that?

By Lord of the Manor29/8 19:23Thu Aug 29 19:23:58 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 657

There grown men VS not kids ..... If they don't like it then move on, no one's forcing them to turn up.

It's not bullying it's motivation...... Again if don't like it leave....
It's part and parcel of the game ask Alex Ferguson. Don't think his teams won everything with love and kisses.

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 19:29Thu Aug 29 19:29:23 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 673

Was the person dishing out this abuse not a "grown man" (not sure why gender is relevant)

I really suggest you read up on what bullying is and can consist of.

By Lord of the Manor29/8 19:45Thu Aug 29 19:45:10 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 687

Had anyone complained to the police that HE or SHE or anyone of neutral gender was abused in a football dressing room last Saturday ?

I guess not ....

I'm old school VS .... My parents brought me up with respect, discipline, and at times punishment. That's whats wrong in today's society ask many town folk who won't go out after dark.

...............deleted as irrelevant to this thread............

Edited by Lord of the Manor at 04:28:53 on 30th August 2024

2 people like this 2 people

Stop politicisng this forum

By Unnamed Sauce (Bedduth Blue)29/8 20:34Thu Aug 29 20:34:46 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 717

You were doing ok LotM. I don't agree with some of what you have said, or with VS for that matter, but you were putting your point across ok. So I'll just leave this here. In case you missed it last time. It got nine "likes" last time I posted it. That isn't why I posted it originally. It was because I was pissed off with the forum being turned into a Party Political Broadcast. Nine people seemed to have some sympathy with that.

" How I vote is nobody else's business but mine. But I will tell you this. My dad and grandad, both born in Seymour Road Nuneaton, served in The Royal Warwickshire Regiment through two World wars so that I could exercise my freedom to vote. In my grandad's case, 7th Battalion Royal Warwicks, he was at The Somme, at Ypres and later served in Italy too.

There is football and there is politics. This is a football forum. I'll choose which teams to follow, how and where.

Where I choose to put my x on a ballot paper is for me to decide.

Rather than taking the piss out of how people vote (and believe me folks it amazes me that some people who post on here can even hold a pencil without poking their eyes out), why don't those mocking individual choices go and live in Russia or North Korea, where they pre-rig the elections? Their views might be better appreciated there."

Well it was an interesting thread

By Unnamed Sauce (Bedduth Blue)29/8 22:26Thu Aug 29 22:26:37 2024In response to Stop politicisng this forumTop of thread

Views: 841

But I am now pressing "ignore" as I have no wish to participate in it further.

My views on attempting to make political capital out of what is essentially a footballing matter are well known.

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 20:24Thu Aug 29 20:24:02 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 650

More bullshit.
"most of the population"? Really?
It's shocking that anyone in this country may go hungry/cold, but surely more should go to those people and NOT those who don't need it?
14 years of austerity and Labour stop payments to those who don't need it. What about Truss wanting to take cancer treatment off the NHS or austerity or Johnson saying "Covid is nature's way of dealing with the elderly"

Are you saying I was brought up wrong.
What my parents wanted from me was to be home before it was dark (or at least know where I was). Seems very similar to now. Boundaries were not just set, but explained.

My father was a well respected Grammar School teacher in Nuneaton. Someone who did not believe in corporal punishment or demeaning the pupils as he believed that reflected badly on him and to stoop that low would indicate he had failed as a teacher

So, the code of conduct written by the club should be ripped up?
The way Daish apparently treated players was correct and successful?

https://www.nuneatontownfc.co.uk/code-of-conduct

By Gustavus29/8 19:22Thu Aug 29 19:22:46 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 671

I think I was the first one to post what the guy behind me told me he heard on Saturday.

For some reason he thought the players were on 20 a match (I’m sure it’s more) but he thought some of them wouldn’t bother coming out for the second half after all being called the C word!

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 19:35Thu Aug 29 19:35:10 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 666

I would love to know which football coaching manual states that "using direct insults (such as the c-word), will motivate players".

I heard the reason Henshaw left was down to the abuse he got from one of the coaching staff (the same person I believe complaints were made by spectators).

By lukey29/8 23:29Thu Aug 29 23:29:54 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 1625

That is totally untrue the reason why Henshaw left.
I know this for a fact as my good friend signed him (Wantage Town FC) soon after leaving us as Alex wanted to be closer to home in Wiltshire and was offered a little bit less than what we was paying him, subsequently less travelling.

By blueandwhitemad29/8 18:39Thu Aug 29 18:39:50 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 695

Hear, hear well said.

By Vernon229/8 18:39Thu Aug 29 18:39:10 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 671

What is said and done in the dressing room stays in the dressing room.

We were warned,but did it anyway.

By Lord of the Manor29/8 18:43Thu Aug 29 18:43:40 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 673

Unless the windows are open 😉

By s. tone ragma7 (stone ragma)29/8 17:26Thu Aug 29 17:26:31 2024In response to Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 716

Some would have got in the team last year, Mullan, Somel, Williams, Daly

By Unnamed Sauce (Bedduth Blue)29/8 18:53Thu Aug 29 18:53:34 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 662

I've seen four games this season.

I have yet so see the kind of abject tripe served up at the Biscuit Tin during most of the reign of You Know Who. I have enjoyed all four of these games, but obviously each one in a different way. I have no problem with us being an underdog. The pull of Non League over Division One (now Premier League) is what drew me to MP in the first place. I was bored.

As an ex-coach and an ex-player and now with a grandson playing for (in order) Leicester, Villa and Cov, I have yet to be impressed by bollockings, tantrums, beastings, teacups, touchline barracking etc. Whether audible through an open window, coming from behind the barriers, half time, full time, whatever. It's more for the benefit of the person dishing it out than the players. As for it "working" last Saturday-maybe the substitutions played a part in an improved second half, too?

We are all dealing with the loss of the "old" club in our different ways. Do what suits you best. I'm not really that fussed about what everyone else does, tbh. Never have been.

As for "new club"-I can only repeat that I have heard lots of cries of "Come On Boro!" But not heard one single reference yet to the "T" word. I think most of us attending know what we are doing.

By VS City (VS Boro)29/8 19:05Thu Aug 29 19:05:25 2024In response to Re: Absentee viewTop of thread

Views: 685

My eldest coach when he was about 14 was called to the b’ham FA to face accusations of child abuse on how he spoke to the lads. He did it once to mine …… funny but it was a game I was not present at.

Yes- above is kids but having suffered bullying in the work force I am acute to all the signs. Why should it be tolerated in sport is beyond me.

*** I’m only going on what has been said here.

Remember how Reid and Daish are hated because of the treatment of a few players.
I was no fan of Wilkin BUT history and antidotal evidence indicates he treated players properly; acknowledging their limitations.

Edited by VS Boro at 19:06:42 on 29th August 2024

Previous thread: Twitter (X) site. by Dougie828/8 10:07Wed Aug 28 10:07:42 2024view thread