Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by ArthurYesterday 08:09Yesterday at 08:09:15view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Life Beyond Wheatsheaf Park by GJ29/4/2019 11:43Mon Apr 29 11:43:03 2019view thread

My Thoughts

By dillyswan29/4/2019 00:11Mon Apr 29 00:11:54 2019

Views: 923

So I have now been involved with the club for 6 seasons, starting just after our FA Cup trip to Brentford and I've felt it apt that I put my first comments on this forum. In those 6 years, I have witness two relegations, one FA Cup run (Orient away) and met a lot of great people. For the first time in a long time, I've felt a part of my birthplace/hometown. I attended secondary school/sixth form in Langley and university away from Staines, and thus didn't know many people in the area. This club (and the people involved) have given me the reconnection with my home town and I'm grateful that this is the case (I'm not going anywhere if anyone thinks I'm about to do a disappearing act). My family have warned me to avoid having the club consume my life (and too much of my time) yet I feel gravitated to this club.

This season, after the decision by Keith to stand down a year ago and the short tenure of my predecessor; I felt that I could put my stamp on things here at STFC particularly for media by becoming Press Officer. My hope for this was to create interesting content, improve the sense of community around the club (and town) and improve attendances; but unfortunately our on-field performances have been poor to the point that I feel that any significant effort to achieve those goals this year would have been in vain. There wasn't a way of positively spinning the results this season so I've posted the bare minimum,.

So whilst I know that the lack of information, match reports (and a lot else) has been frustrating for many; I will do my best to improve this next season and I hope within my heart of hearts that our media and on-field performances are something to be proud of. In my opinion it's really important that we, as fans pull together around this club. To quote the legend that is Sir Bobby Robson:

What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

So my message to everyone (there may be a point to this long ramble) is support this club through thick and thin because people come and go, but in 25 years time I want the next generations to look back on us as ones that actually made an impact for good for both the club and town.

If you've managed to overcome the boredom of this extremely long post, thanks! And I hope to see you all raring to go next season in what will be likely the Bostik Division One South.

Edited by dillyswan at 00:12:53 on 29th April 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: My Thoughts by Danswan_12129/4/2019 12:43Mon Apr 29 12:43:12 2019

Previous thread: What has actually gone wrong this season? by Yellow Swan22/4/2019 21:03Mon Apr 22 21:03:46 2019view thread