Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by Surrey sToday 15:31Today at 15:31:35view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: tonights game by Andrew6725/3/2014 11:28Tue Mar 25 11:28:19 2014view thread

Won't be coming back

By Sandra (legacy user)9/3/2014 12:53Sun Mar 9 12:53:26 2014

Views: 2800

Yesterday, my husband took our two sons (9 and 7 years old) to their first game at Staines. He brought them home before the game ended as they didn't feel welcome. The language in the stands and air of aggression was just too much for them.
I'm sending you this note so you may consider whether you may want to consider if you still want Staines to be a family club.

My late father used to bring me to watch Staines when I was a little girl and it was for this reason that we wanted to bring the children to watch their local team. Such a shame.

Sandra S.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

Response to Mrs Sommerfeld

By Secretary on behalf of Vice-Chairman (legacy user)24/3/2014 10:45Mon Mar 24 10:45:42 2014In response to Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2071

As I am sure you are all aware it is against Club Policy for Club Officials to enter into, or communicate in response to, comments posted on the Unofficial Forum.
However in view of recent comments with reference to bad language and inappropriate behaviour, and in particular a recent comment from a Mrs Sandra Sommerfeld, whose husband and children attended our home match against Gosport Borough on Saturday 8th March, I should like to make the following statement:
Firstly on behalf of Staines Town Football Club I should like to apologise to Mrs Sommerfeld, her husband and children, and assure them that we not only pride and promote ourselves as being a family club, run by family people, but we also encourage our younger supporters to attend our games and enjoy the experience and do not under any circumstances condone the use of foul and abusive language or loutish behaviour at our ground.
Secondly for those supporters who are frustrated at the use of foul and abusive language, this will not under any circumstances be tolerated.
As football people we all appreciate that a winning, hard-working, trying team is preferable to watch than a team that is either struggling with form, low in confidence, or simply not trying. But I am sure you must appreciate that the management and players work as hard as possible in their preparation, planning, and commitment before and during a game, and the last thing they want to do is put on a performance that disappoints and frustrates them and their supporters.
Can I finally thank our genuine supporters for your great support, and we trust that the small minority will not let you down. Can I also please request that you continue to support your team in the most positive and constructive manner and show respect for those around you?
+
Our ground has a superb stand, and it should be a great place to accommodate all supporters, including families, older fans, and indeed corporate guests. We do not wish to alienate any of our existing enthusiastic supporters, but we are acutely aware that the behaviour of a few can deter many others, including vital new faces, and potentially valuable sponsors. The Club reserves the right to exclude ill-behaved spectators (without refund) but we sincerely hope that our own supporters will realise the best way to get behind their team without putting others off, and will choose their actions accordingly.
Many thanks
Ken Williams (Vice Chairman) General Manager

2 people like this 2 people   2 people dislike this 2 people

Response to Mrs Sommerfeld

By VW Swan (legacy user)24/3/2014 12:16Mon Mar 24 12:16:33 2014In response to Response to Mrs SommerfeldTop of thread

Views: 2088

Firstly I am staggered that the club would make an official response on a public forum to this mystery supporter who quite possibly does not even exist. Surely inviting the person to a meeting would have been a more professional approach to discuss face to face and if a complaint is upstanding then could be taken further. However having attended the game in question and sat in the stand I did not witness any aggressive or abusive language which leads me to believe it is not a true post. There were a few boos to the performance which I do not agree with and personally would never boo the team I chose to support regardless of the result..

Secondly as a sponsor who attends most games home and away with my family - am I a genuine fan or because I choose to sit in the stand am I labelled the small minority? The singing is always good humoured and if the club object in any way then why has nothing been said?

I think the club stands to lose more than they gain from this episode and in future I think could handle things differently.

As a proactive suggestion why is our message board not protected as it is open to anyone who wants to post and stir things up. Other clubs boards you have to register and this stops this kind of nonsense.

4 people like this 4 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Good point

By Follow the Swans (legacy user)24/3/2014 17:42Mon Mar 24 17:42:35 2014In response to Response to Mrs SommerfeldTop of thread

Views: 2046

Laurence ... Can you add 'registration' to the forum?

FOLLOW THE SWANS

1 person dislikes this 1 person

Why not ....

By Anonymous (legacy user)24/3/2014 20:24Mon Mar 24 20:24:19 2014In response to Good pointTop of thread

Views: 2047

... close the forum down and be done with it? there is very few 'real' fans that post comments on this board, and most of those are not welcome!

Staines 'Boon' Town Football Club.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

OK !

By Follow the Swans (legacy user)24/3/2014 21:15Mon Mar 24 21:15:34 2014In response to Why not ....Top of thread

Views: 2080

;-)

FOLLOW THE SWANS

Re: Response to Mrs Sommerfeld

By Swanfan1982 (legacy user)24/3/2014 11:20Mon Mar 24 11:20:54 2014In response to Response to Mrs SommerfeldTop of thread

Views: 2186

Maybe the club should do something about the players swearing on the pitch before they target the "minority" of fans who let the others down. Would also like the term genuine supporter explained in more depth.

2 people like this 2 people   

"genuine supporters"

By Anonymous (legacy user)24/3/2014 16:15Mon Mar 24 16:15:36 2014In response to Re: Response to Mrs SommerfeldTop of thread

Views: 2088

The only swearing I heard at the game in question was from on field players, I did however hear booing and a short burst of noisy barracking coming from the stand at half time BUT NO SWEARING! It appears Mr Williams has taken the bait regarding the so called 'supporter', who as VW Swan suggests may not even exist, more importantly I, as well as swanfan1982 (and others) would like the term genuine supporters explained. Has the choir been wrongly blamed and banned? as they were nowhere to been seen (or heard) at the Eastleigh game, heard more noise in the library today!

2 people like this 2 people   

Re: Won't be coming back

By SAGE (legacy user)11/3/2014 17:46Tue Mar 11 17:46:40 2014In response to Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2375

Hi Sandra-sorry to hear of your experience on Saturday as a grandfather I can appreciate your concerns and would apologise for the fact that your husband and boys were not made to feel welcome . I can only say from my own experience that when I started watching games at Staines , fours years ago , I was and continue to be made to feel very welcome by fellow supporters /officials and the team management and "on good days" the players are also up for a chat. I fully admit that sadly there is some bad language , but I feel its more from frustration than any other sinister reasons.I am sure if your husband had had a quick word with guys concerning the bad language they would have responded accordingly-alternatively a word with a ground steward would have sorted out the problem.The covered area on the far side of the ground is always a good bet if you wish to get away from the "noisier "environment of the stand.In fact it can get very lonely on the far side.Please give the club another chance and I know if you make yourself known on arrival, to any of the club staff,I am very confident that they will do all they can to make the experience a good one.

Best wishes
Norm

Sage

3 people like this 3 people   

See you there?

By Anonymous (legacy user)11/3/2014 13:02Tue Mar 11 13:02:04 2014In response to Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2343

You have the chance to support Staines tonight, playing against Hayes & Yeading, at Woking FC's ground just a short distance away,... away from all the bad language!

Won't be coming back

By Dave-LW (legacy user)9/3/2014 18:52Sun Mar 9 18:52:57 2014In response to Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2542

It is very sad to see a note such as this. It is not the first time this topic has come up either.

Having watched matches at many clubs at various levels I have to say that Staines are no-where near the worst in this respect, but equally there are a great number far, far more welcoming. I’m not talking here about the officials of the club who do a fantastic job or quite a number of the hard core supporters, but there are quite a number of the “supporters” who can spoil the match day experience.

As a club we cannot afford to drive away potential new followers, crowds are low enough as they are.

By Wakes (legacy user)9/3/2014 19:02Sun Mar 9 19:02:15 2014In response to Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2607

Get the terracing sorted behind the goal for the singers so as families can use the main stand with out feeling intimidated?

3 people like this 3 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Danswan (legacy user)9/3/2014 19:56Sun Mar 9 19:56:26 2014In response to Re: Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2551

Can't believe people are actually replying

Danswan-"Attendance is nothing"

3 people like this 3 people   4 people dislike this 4 people

Won't be coming back

By Dave-LW (legacy user)9/3/2014 20:16Sun Mar 9 20:16:03 2014In response to Re: Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2522

Assuming that is meant to be a serious comment it is quite symptomatic of the problems the club face. A comment has been made regarding the perceived unwelcoming nature of the club and its supporters and a couple of constructive type responses have been made.

I was not there so cannot comment specifically on events at that match although from matches I have attended over the years I can perfectly understand the sentiment. It does not bother me generally what is said / shouted but I would certainly have a different view if I had young children with me.

Your strapline “Attendance is nothing” was I assume started when there were a lot of wind up merchants from Woking trolling this board. Sadly though attendances are important to the future standing of the club both at a playing level and also in terms of standing in the community. Greater attendances naturally mean greater income but also make it easier for the selling of advertising etc, ask Angie.

I do not intend to get involved into an exchange but suggest that comments made are constructive.

Won't be coming back

By Tim (legacy user)9/3/2014 20:59Sun Mar 9 20:59:41 2014In response to Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2700

This post from Sandra echoes a point I made recently after attending a game. I fully agree with her and I no longer attend and thus neither do my family. The awful language and crudeness of a group of men means it is impossible to bring family to Staines Town these days.
The club seem (by taking no action) to endorse the behaviour of these few individuals who ruin the prospect of a pleasant afternoon watching football for everyone except themselves.

1 person likes this 1 person   2 people dislike this 2 people

Won't be coming back

By Anonymous (legacy user)9/3/2014 21:13Sun Mar 9 21:13:34 2014In response to Won't be coming backTop of thread

Views: 2536

No matter where you are in the ground the bad language coming from the mouth's of some players can be clearly heard.

2 people like this 2 people   1 person dislikes this 1 person

Previous thread: Referee v Steward by Angie Payne24/3/2014 19:21Mon Mar 24 19:21:27 2014view thread