Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by Arthur4/5 08:09Sat May 4 08:09:15 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Faversham away .. by Andrew6713/9/2015 13:55Sun Sep 13 13:55:10 2015view thread

R.I.P.George Talbot

By gordon (legacy user)14/5/2014 07:29Wed May 14 07:29:07 2014

Views: 7895

It was with great sadness that I read that George passed away on Monday. One of the great Full Backs of this club, and also a great character.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: R.I.P.George Talbot

By Yatesy13/9/2015 18:54Sun Sep 13 18:54:15 2015In response to R.I.P.George TalbotTop of thread

Views: 4108

Blimey. I know it happened last year but i have only just found out.
I used to work with george at haden at High Wycombe strike command. George was a lovely chap and was always cheerful. He spoke about his days at Villa and when he was a manager at uxbridge.
I really didnt believe he played for villa untill one Alan Devonshire rang him at work.
i only worked with george for a few months but those chats about football will stay with me.
RIP George

Richard

R I P George Talbot

By Roger (legacy user)14/5/2014 09:18Wed May 14 09:18:35 2014In response to R.I.P.George TalbotTop of thread

Views: 7719

Agree with all the other comments sad news about George Talbot. Great memories about George watching him in my teens. Great club man. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Re: R.I.P.George Talbot

By John Blair (legacy user)14/5/2014 07:54Wed May 14 07:54:59 2014In response to R.I.P.George TalbotTop of thread

Views: 7621

I echo Gordons comments.
A great stalwart of the club at a time when 'men were men'.A tough tackling defender on the pitch,and friendly to supporters off the pitch.A valued member of the Ken Ballard era,and a true legend,in my opinion.
I remember George well from the time i started supporting the 'swans' as a 9 year old.
R.I.P. George.

From the Club Website ...

By Follow the Swans (legacy user)14/5/2014 08:18Wed May 14 08:18:43 2014In response to Re: R.I.P.George TalbotTop of thread

Views: 7783

Staines Town FC has been deeply saddened by the news received this morning that one of its most charismatic players of the last half century, George Talbot, has passed away. After early associations with QPR, Yiewsley, Hillingdon Borough, Ruislip Manor, and Uxbridge, George joined Spartan League Staines Town in 1968, one of the first signings by new manager Ken Ballard. His 329 First Team appearances meant that he played a key part in the numerous successes achieved under Ken during the next nine seasons, including four promotions, and successes in the Middlesex Senior Cup and Barassi Cup. He then transferred to Walton & Hersham, where he later became Manager, and in 1980 he took on that role at Wheatsheaf Park. His crowning achievement came in season 1981/2 when a 4th place finish in the Isthmian Premier Division allowed Staines Town to claim a spot in England’s top 100 clubs for the only time in its history. Sadly his tenure lasted only two seasons, and he went on to coach and manage at Hounslow, Addlestone & Weybridge Town, Ruislip FC, Harefield United, and notably Uxbridge who reached 9 cup finals during his 13 seasons there. He retired from the game after a season as Assistant Manager at Burnham in 2005/6.

The Club extends its deepest sympathies to George’s family, including wife Pauline, children Anthony, Daniel, Alexander, and Louise and their own children, his brother Colin, and to his very many friends within football.

FOLLOW THE SWANS

George Talbot

By Gregs (legacy user)16/5/2014 12:56Fri May 16 12:56:19 2014In response to From the Club Website ...Top of thread

Views: 7520

It is very sad news. I never got to work with George at Staines as I joined the youth team at the tail end of his time at Wheatsheaf Lane. He was a true Staines Legend. I was lucky enough to play for him at Uxbridge and those years were some of the happiest I had during my playing days. He was a proud man who had one of the greatest desires to win that I have ever known. We used to be out on the training pitch some nights close to 10pm until his side had won the 5-a-side at the end of the session! He did wonders at Uxbridge with many teams and always wanted to play good football. He also knew how to celebrate and we did plenty of that as well - not getting back from Wivenhoe until 2am because we were last to leave the bar was pretty common and I can still hear his rendition of "What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For" ringing out in the dressing room when we won at home.
A football man through and through and my thoughts and prayers are with his family. RIP Talby.
Gregs

George Talbot

By Tim (legacy user)14/5/2014 23:54Wed May 14 23:54:32 2014In response to From the Club Website ...Top of thread

Views: 7572

I'm so very sad to read of the death of George Talbot. When I was a boy, I loved coming to Wheatsheaf Lane to watch that great Staines side of the late 1960s.
George Talbot never gave anything less than every ounce of energy he possessed in every game he played. I suspect he relished his reputation as a rather terrifying full back who tackled players in something of a 'no nonsense' fashion...!

The Ken Ballard era was a wonderful time - we had a very well organised but free-flowing team, who pushed forward at every opportunity, and George Talbot was a key member of that side.

At one time, before he transferred to Walton, there were rumours that Aston Villa had been to the Lane a couple of times to watch him, but as we know, nothing came of it.

Despite his tough persona on the pitch, George Talbot was always very friendly and accommodating to young autograph hunters (me!) after the game.

A good man and a sad loss.

I send best wishes and my sympathy to George's family.

1 person likes this 1 person   

Re: George Talbot

By Bob Sherwood (legacy user)16/5/2014 14:42Fri May 16 14:42:35 2014In response to George TalbotTop of thread

Views: 7689

Must echo the comments made by others and state George's untimely death is a great loss to the game.

I also watched George play full back in the Ken Ballard era and agree the style was enjoyable. Clearly recall standing behind the goal in those days with Dave Ward, Alan Wright and others.

Got to know George in recent years as he was a very, frequent, welcome guest at the club and when Kim was doing the half time VP's Association teas George became an 'Honorary member'.

Really nice guy and will be sadly missed.

Bob

1 person likes this 1 person   

Previous thread: Coach to Faversham replay Tues 15th by John Blair12/9/2015 20:51Sat Sep 12 20:51:58 2015view thread