Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Is it time to turn this Forum off? by John Blair15/3 20:29Fri Mar 15 20:29:20 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Taunton v Staines by DevonSwan11/8/2018 19:21Sat Aug 11 19:21:59 2018view thread

New Season

By Norm5/8/2018 09:37Sun Aug 5 09:37:31 2018

Views: 930

After seeing the Tooting and Mitcham friendly and being very disappointed in the standard of the Staines players on show I have not been inspired enough to watch any of the following pre- season games!!! In fact seeing the results suggests to me that we are no where near the standard to hold our own in the Southern.

Lets hope I am totally wrong-perhaps we have been much better than the results suggest .

Any thoughts from those who have seen more of the recent games as I am keen to get my supporting mojo back again .

Best wishes to all

Norm

Edited by Norm at 09:38:07 on 5th August 2018

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: New Season

By Wakes5/8/2018 10:28Sun Aug 5 10:28:07 2018In response to New SeasonTop of thread

Views: 896

I think we will see some more experienced names drafted in in time for Saturday. I’m under the impression the club are building up from absolute zero and not a single penny is being unnecessarily wasted. It’s a whole new beginning, a learning curve for everyone and I’m guessing once the club knows where it stands then will be able to strengthen. I think the new owners probably just want to start off slow, learning along the way and then strengthen when the time is right....

By GJ5/8/2018 12:16Sun Aug 5 12:16:59 2018In response to Re: New SeasonTop of thread

Views: 897

And what of the 3 experienced "signings" flagged up on the Web site way back? Cox we know about, but Rowell and now Higgins are conspicuous by their absence. Injured, released, rested or what?? As it stands, survival at this level is not a given so let's hope quality reinforcements are on the plans. CC must be a concerned coach and it would be good to hear from him.

By John Blair5/8/2018 17:40Sun Aug 5 17:40:16 2018In response to Re: New SeasonTop of thread

Views: 915

Matthew Rowell left to join a club nearer his home.
Liam Higgins has played all pre-season friendlys apart from yesterday.
We were told that he was rested yesterday as he had a slight injury.

Regarding the squad in general , as Laurence says 'the manager is building from zero' , CC has tried out a lot of players during the pre-season period.
Some have looked good - some not so good.
In recent games we have looked better in the 2nd half of games than the 1st half especially in the recent games v Wealdstone and London Colney.

This pre-season has been all about building a squad from zero in readiness for the new season , and i think that CC and the backroom staff are slowly getting there.
The majority of the squad , although young , seem to have the desire needed to succeed , and , maybe with a couple of more experienced heads in the team will prove any doubters wrong.

By GJ6/8/2018 08:35Mon Aug 6 08:35:20 2018In response to Re: New SeasonTop of thread

Views: 841

Thanks for the update John. And I’m sure when the new season gets underway (and the web site is fully up to speed) we’ll get more feedback from the club.

By DevonSwan6/8/2018 18:26Mon Aug 6 18:26:44 2018In response to Re: New SeasonTop of thread

Views: 819

Looking from afar it certainly has not been a great start for the new regime. It would be good to see some sort of statement from the Club as to their plans, both short term and long term. I know that many of you attended a forum with the new owners but for people like myself the early signs have been quite alarming. We appear to have a squad of very inexperienced players and a Manager with no experience of managing at this level. I also don't think it helps when new owners come in and make statements about reaching the Football League in ten years - how many times have we heard that in the past; doesn't fill me with confidence.
I know that people will say that you cannot judge anyone on their pre-season friendlies but I think that the manner of our defeats has been quite alarming. I will be there on Saturday hoping to be proved wrong and hoping that the new strip I have seen pictures of is just a training strip and that they will turn out in yellow and blue!

Previous thread: New Strip by DevonSwan30/7/2018 20:33Mon Jul 30 20:33:00 2018view thread