Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Is it time to turn this Forum off? by John Blair15/3 20:29Fri Mar 15 20:29:20 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Points Draw Tickets for 2018/2019 season on sale by John Blair20/7/2018 18:26Fri Jul 20 18:26:49 2018view thread

Taunton v Staines

By DevonSwan11/8/2018 19:21Sat Aug 11 19:21:59 2018

Views: 949

Well I went to today's game expecting the worst, judging by the feedback from the pre season friendlies, and I wasn't disappointed! We clearly have a young inexperienced squad with v little experience at this level and it showed against a strong Taunton outfit who barely had to get out of first gear.
Credit to the youngsters who at times played some neat stuff in the midfield but there was no end product and nobody to get on the end of several half decent crosses. I'm afraid I don't know any players' names at this stage, and I was none the wiser after buying a programme, but our tall blond no.6 stood out in the middle of the park along with a lad with dreadlocks. All the youngsters put in a shift to be fair but we were crying out for some players with experience at this level to help them out.
Reality is that if we don't get in some experienced players pretty quickly this team will disappear without trace in this League; harsh but fair I think. Next game up for the Devon Swans will be Poole Town away I think and hopefully there will be some new faces on the team sheet by then.
Sorry to be so negative after one game but that is the reality of our situation - Come On You Swans!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Taunton v Staines

By Devon Swan part deux11/8/2018 23:18Sat Aug 11 23:18:44 2018In response to Taunton v StainesTop of thread

Views: 838

The only thing I would like to add to my friends comments is to the new owners. You made the naive statement about wanting to make Staines a football league club within the next 10 years. Well if you do not put some finances into the playing budget soon, there may not be a club in 10 years! Clubs at this level are not profitable, they are not self sufficient, in fact they require a substantial amount of finances to just stay afloat. The next few weeks will indicate what you true intentions are for the club and whether you are really serious about running a football club. Personally, I am not bothered if we are a league club in 10 or even 20 years, but I would like the club to at least be competing at the level they’re at. I hope by the time I see the team run out at Poole you will have done something to dispel my suspicions and fears about the future of club. It’s over to you!

By Wakes12/8/2018 10:09Sun Aug 12 10:09:43 2018In response to Re: Taunton v StainesTop of thread

Views: 894

No easy way to say it but it was men against boys, some pretty football played in patches but far too lightweight to be serious contenders in this game. Feel a bit sorry for Cristian as he can only use what’s at his disposal and no matter how good you are as a manager you can’t turn players who are clearly not ready for this level of football into contenders. What he needs is a competitive playing budget, something I hope we can address before it’s too late...

By Follow the Swans12/8/2018 14:09Sun Aug 12 14:09:43 2018In response to Re: Taunton v StainesTop of thread

Views: 793

Great to see Devon Swans yesterday and that is fair comment in your post. Personally, I am bemused and concerned by what I have seen so far and am reserving judgement until I see how the club respond to the hard facts we can all see. I wish them the best but 'on the field' IMO we need to add height and experience through the middle from the keeper to the front line. Very impressed with Brendan and Rudi though. 'Off the pitch' would love to see similar to what Taunton are achieving ... :-) Huge thanks to Pat and Dan for there input on Twitter!

Well done to the staunch travelling Swans yesterday ... #deservebetter

Previous thread: New Season by Norm5/8/2018 09:37Sun Aug 5 09:37:31 2018view thread