Return to front page

Newest article: Those were the days ...... by Arthur17/4 07:24Wed Apr 17 07:24:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: No news on the manager front? by Torquayrob26/10/2018 11:28Fri Oct 26 11:28:48 2018view thread

Non-League Day - My Visit

By Dave16/10/2018 12:24Tue Oct 16 12:24:08 2018

Views: 1386

Hello All,

Reading FC fan here that came down for the game as part of Non-League Day.

Day didn't get off to a great start - was advertised as a fiver to get in, then when I went to pay they asked for a tenner and said half of that would go to charity. I would have come anyway, however I just thought it was a bit cheeky.

Very nice club house and reasonably priced beer/snacks etc so all was well. I then sit down in the main stand and was right in front of this shreeking and very shrill woman with her young daughter. She screamed every time the ball went forward and was just so over the top - very annoying ( regulars in that stand must know who she is). Now I love noise at the football, but fcuk me!!

On to the match - what is your manager? thinking!!!! Setting up with a three at the back and trying to pass the ball out from it? Naa i'm not having that, not at that level, especially if you're struggling to keep the ball out of the back of the net. Very few teams in can play they way you're trying too.

The issue you have, in my opinion, isn't necessarily the keeper, it's the defenders you have in front of him that just can't defend. I thought you found that big lump at the heart of your defence in a bar the night before drinking....he was just so so poor and budget or no budget, there must be better players around than him? The other two weren't much kop either and every time the ball came close to them, errors occurred. I would look to the youth team or see what available players there are out there. They just didn't know how to defend.

The midfield - light weight and were being played so far apart that they gave the defence zero cover anyway. When they got the ball they dithered and didn't really look like they knew what they were doing with it or where the ball should go.

Forwards - cruel to judge as they had little service.

If I was your manager, I would firstly concentrate on keeping the ball as far away from your goal as possible. Play a 442 or a 451 and simplify things for them, they don't have the ability (as hardly any team out side the prem) to play this slow, play from the back game. I don't know whether your boss is trying to make a name for himself but it will get him sacked. Clear the ball down the channels for a forward to chase then pack the box etc. Win the headers and clear the ball as far down the pitch as possible. Make the midfield compact and make them hard to get through.

I watch a lot of non-league football, both at your level, above and a couple of steps below and that performance was one of the worst I have seen. No room for fancy dan stuff if you're struggling IMO.

Anyway, enjoyed the day as a whole and wish you the best of luck for the remainder of the season.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Non-League Day - My Visit

By scouser17/10/2018 11:08Wed Oct 17 11:08:28 2018In response to Non-League Day - My VisitTop of thread

Views: 1139

Thanks for choosing us to visit on Non-League Day. Sorry about the mix up at the turn styles but the staff started to charge as it was advertised but were instructed by management to charge the full price and that the charity money would be deducted upstairs, however like most people I always thought that giving to charity was voluntary. As for the young lady screaming down your ears, you only had it for one match, we get it every match. Now as for the football, hopefully this will all change as a new manager is supposed to be unveiled in the next couple of days and if given the resources should get us going up the table again.
We played against Walton last night and although we were beat 3-1 it was a far better performance by the team, at one stage if it wasn't for the brilliance of there keeper we could have been 2-1 in front and who knows were that might have led.

By Keith18/10/2018 12:21Thu Oct 18 12:21:52 2018In response to Re: Non-League Day - My VisitTop of thread

Views: 1106

Nice one Ron!

By Dave17/10/2018 12:22Wed Oct 17 12:22:39 2018In response to Re: Non-League Day - My VisitTop of thread

Views: 1087

Cheers - hope you improve and have a good rest of season.

By Jwbllc18/10/2018 19:21Thu Oct 18 19:21:22 2018In response to Re: Non-League Day - My VisitTop of thread

Views: 1106

Certainly seemed to be some smoke & mirrors over admission prices.

The £10/£5 charity option was publicised last week, but on Saturday all the Twitter site said was £5 entry. Free entry for Prem/EFL season ticket holders was only mentioned here & in the programme (which you could only buy once in the ground). Didn't see that at all on Twitter or the OS.

I wonder how the charity money will be calculated, as it didn't seem to be recorded at the turnstile? From talking to some of the regulars inside the ground, none of them seem to trust the new owners one bit.

Re: Non-League Day

By V W Swan19/10/2018 13:56Fri Oct 19 13:56:06 2018In response to Re: Non-League Day - My VisitTop of thread

Views: 1097

I am pleased to say the club raised £385.00 on non-league day and this will be donated to Prostate Cancer UK

2 people like this 2 people   

Previous thread: FA Trophy by albatross16/10/2018 16:12Tue Oct 16 16:12:08 2018view thread