Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Am I right in saying… by John Blair23/4 20:12Tue Apr 23 20:12:00 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Tiverton away by John Blair4/11/2018 20:09Sun Nov 4 20:09:37 2018view thread

No news on the manager front?

By Torquayrob26/10/2018 11:28Fri Oct 26 11:28:48 2018

Views: 1170

We were promised this early this week. So, what’s happening?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: No news on the manager front?

By Norm26/10/2018 12:25Fri Oct 26 12:25:09 2018In response to No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 1056

yep -another unknown who has been working overseas.-will they not learn.

Does seem to be a pattern emerging of going for managers who normally work with youngsters at lower levels of the game.

What experience and contacts at our level has he got.

norm

Edited by Norm at 12:34:54 on 26th October 2018

By DevonSwan26/10/2018 12:42Fri Oct 26 12:42:18 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 1058

Well can't say that gives me any hope or optimism for the future. Badly needed someone for me who
had experience of managing at this level, and hopefully had contacts to attract players. Good luck to
the guy and I hope he will prove me wrong but this appointment was not what I was hoping to hear.

By Beastman1900 (Swandico)26/10/2018 13:48Fri Oct 26 13:48:12 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 1029

Whilst he isnt exactly a big name i'm kind of interested as to who you would have recommended for the job Norm ? everyone on here and twitter talking about 'shame it isnt a big name ' who did you actually expect ! I just hope this new guy can turn it around as we are in a bad bad situation

By Norm26/10/2018 14:43Fri Oct 26 14:43:27 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 997

Hi Beastman-i am not interested in a big name or a manager loaded with coaching qualifications. I am looking for an experienced guy who has looked after teams at our level or above and who has contacts with senior clubs in the Home Counties . ideally some one who has only been out of a managerial job for a few months

looking for a steady hand who has proven success at our level -safe mid table position - and with a bit of luck within sniffing distance of the play offs.

I don't really want us to be a league club but a good solid non league club who are pushing to get into the National League set up.

Best wishes
Norm

By Beastman1900 (Swandico)26/10/2018 15:43Fri Oct 26 15:43:25 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 1013

I agree that contacts are key but whats to say this guy hasnt got any , hes only been in the job 2 hours.

I'm looking forward to this fresh start, let's hope we can slowly climb the table!

1 person likes this 1 person   

By GJ26/10/2018 16:16Fri Oct 26 16:16:45 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 993

Moving the discussion on from the concerns voiced above, the background to Watford Academy USA is intriguing, especially given a Swans player connection (as mentioned in Robert’s video message). From what I can see, Watford recently linked up with Timeout Soccer in the US; this being an academy geared to developing and showcasing players from Europe, S America and the US, and (with Robert at the helm) taking on some illustrious opponents, including just last week, Juventus Academy.
And on the player profile page is one Harry Agombar http://timeoutsoccerusa.com/harry-george-agombar/.
And if I’m not mistaken, George Barker is also in one of the group pictures. Plus, under the heading Success Stories, another player is attributed to Staines Town - Andre Obela (???) http://timeoutsoccerusa.com/success-stories/
So in the spirit of optimism, I suspect there’s much more to this appointment than is immediately apparent and I for one look forward to learning more of our new manager’s plans - perhaps via another Supporters Club Q & A in the near future?

By John Blair26/10/2018 18:33Fri Oct 26 18:33:35 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 953

I agree with GJ.
This is an interesting appointment which i await with some form of optimism.
If memory serves me right - when Marcus Gayle was appointed a few years ago some people were saying that he only had experience of coaching youngsters and had not managed at our level.
However, he had a lot of contacts within football that resulted in some good players coming to Staines and as a result we finished just shy of the play offs in Conference South in Marcus's first season.
Who's to say that our new manager has'nt got contacts at our level and above.
I , for one , wish him luck in his new job.

By Wakes26/10/2018 19:13Fri Oct 26 19:13:04 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 978

My biggest concern is the size of the budget he has been given to work with and again it all points to the recruitment of young and inexperienced players that he has worked with previously and would come on the cheap.

Where is the previous experience at this level of football and the proven, tangible success? Can he recruit solid, seasoned campaigners that have been around at this level that are capable of dragging us out of this mess?

It ain’t about pretty football anymore now that we’re in this dire predicament, it’s about survival and we need some heavyweight performers now who can bully their way to winning matches. I wish Robert every success, but fear he has taken on a very difficult task if all he has is youngsters at his disposal. I am praying he will prove me wrong...

By If in doubt26/10/2018 19:05Fri Oct 26 19:05:25 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 1014

Hi ,
Fairly new supporter here at Staines Town , and I not going to lie , since I've started attending regularly , the team's got worse (i'am I Jinx) .
The new manager sarga has gone on far to long , and I hope this guy will prove to be worth the wait.
He seems to have great success with youth teams in the USA , and although that's very different from this level, I believe he may just be able to do something here. His contacts are key , as it's clear a few player's , particular in the defence positions just aren't up to it.
That said a few new faces and some clear direction and some organisations and things could turn around quiet soon. Basingstoke showed the team's above are not vastly superior , they just don't selfempliod the way we do !!!!

By Torquayrob26/10/2018 20:16Fri Oct 26 20:16:35 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 969

Why was Drax good? Probably because he could name Harrow Borough’s reserve left back. In other words, he knows this league (or at least the Bostik part of it) inside out. How long will it take for the new guy to get to grips with the league and the players we need? Not convinced butI hope that I’m wrong. Rather it was Tommy Williams

By Devon Swan part deux26/10/2018 22:34Fri Oct 26 22:34:50 2018In response to Re: No news on the manager front?Top of thread

Views: 1024

Personally, I think the new manager has the easiest job in the league. There is zero confidence among the players, little hope left among the supporters and he is not the miracle manager that the club needed. With little, to no hope left, that we will be able to get out of this mess he can’t actually fail and any point(s) that he does win will be a positive. It is also plainly obvious to everyone exactly what is needed to strengthen the team so he doesn’t have to spend trying to work out who to pick. He doesnt have to worry about finding new players as he will be aware that he does not have a player budget to work with. Hopefully, he will have already realised that playing 3 at the back and trying to pass out from the keeper is also not required at the moment. His only job will be to try and work out the best formation to play, with the players he has so that we can grind out a few points and try to restore a little confidence amongst the team.

The stark reality is the club is facing some very difficult times and may not exist at all in the future. There is little point trying blame anyone for the situation the club finds itself in. If, as I’m told, there is little chance the ground can be developed, then I suspect that everyone at the club is working as hard as they can to try and turn things around with a very small budget. As long as the club keep going I will be giving the team and manager my full support, although it’s probably a bit easier for me as I can only get to the games in the south west :)

All the best Robert! I hope you enjoy your time at the club. Whatever happens on and off the pitch, you will no doubt gain a huge amount of experience from your time as manager.

Previous thread: Non-League Day - My Visit by Dave16/10/2018 12:24Tue Oct 16 12:24:08 2018view thread