Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by ArthurYesterday 08:09Yesterday at 08:09:15view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: My Thoughts by dillyswan29/4/2019 00:11Mon Apr 29 00:11:54 2019view thread

What has actually gone wrong this season?

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)22/4/2019 21:03Mon Apr 22 21:03:46 2019

Views: 1466

With all due regard to the club statement.... What has actually gone wrong for us this season? I think when people ask, it’s still unclear why we are in the position we are in. The club, not so long ago was close to gaining promotion to the National League. We now face local football. Is the current squad even string enough to sustain even that?? Is anyone else as confused as I in relation to just how and why we are in the mess we are in??

Edited by pp7822 at 21:04:16 on 22nd April 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)26/4/2019 16:27Fri Apr 26 16:27:16 2019In response to What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1231

Thanks for the reply all. Wakes, your response was insightful. My view is that engagement is absolutely key. I think all the rumours may have been avoided by clear communication from the club and earlier release of statements. Something along the lines of Wakes’ response would have been really helpful and may have even prevented some from not attending WP. Although, fully understand that this may be easier said than done and that there may also be a much bigger picture. At the time of writing the club have now released a statement and whatever people’s opinions are of it, I agree fans need to pull together. It’s sad that there are deep divides. However, fingers crossed the short term pain will lead to long term gain.

Edited by pp7822 at 16:28:21 on 26th April 2019

By Devon Swan part deux23/4/2019 09:52Tue Apr 23 09:52:42 2019In response to What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1318

In short, finance or lack of it. All football clubs need money to run and at this level they need someone with very deep pockets to keep afloat. The club statement indicates they believe things may have happened off the field which prevents the new owner from investing time and money into the club until its resolved. Whether you agree or disagree with how the club is being run at the moment, it was a case of new owner or no club.

I would like to add a big thank you to Joe Dixon for all the time and effort he has put into trying to stabilise the club and make its future as secure as possible. Cheers Joe!

Edited by Devon Swan part deux at 14:12:19 on 23rd April 2019

By Wakes24/4/2019 10:31Wed Apr 24 10:31:28 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1261

Without ruffling any feathers I would like to state a few true facts... When Matthew stood down in the summer, NOBODY was willing to take the club on except for Joe. Thurrock’s last ever game happened to be against us and because nobody came in to fund them, they chose to disband because a club at this level cannot sustain itself without a benefactor or another source of income to keep it competitive.

The fact of the matter is, had Joe not taken the club on, the alternative for us was to either wind the club down or merge with Staines Lammas and either face relegation down to the Combined counties league in 2 years or play there this season. The reason the club is relegated with just 12 points is quite simply because long term stability is more important than short term success. As stated, too many clubs at this level are built on sand with short term success wrongly given priority. What Joe has done is in fact what should have been done a long time ago in putting all the wrongs caused by the current landlords right. It was never in his original intention to purposely relegate the club, he has made mistakes which he admittedly holds his hands up to but when the CEO quit, half the budget was obviously pulled as well and with the club as good as relegated, he chose to save his money and concentrate on the legal battle which if won would put the club in a much better position even from when the last owner was in charge. I can clearly see why he is doing this, the question is why can’t anyone else? With all due respect, people who don’t come down anymore merely guess what’s going on without knowing true facts.

I will repeat this again. Joe has come in and saved a sinking ship and swapped short term success for long term stability. If justice is done in a court of law, the football club’s future will be secure.

Edited by Wakes at 10:34:05 on 24th April 2019
Edited by Wakes at 14:08:05 on 24th April 2019

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Devon Swan part deux24/4/2019 12:25Wed Apr 24 12:25:29 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1195

Excellent response Wakes. I wasn’t sure what could or couldn’t be said, but in essence, without Joe there would be no club at all.

Edited by Devon Swan part deux at 12:38:38 on 24th April 2019

By cardiganman (Inspector Morse)24/4/2019 09:43Wed Apr 24 09:43:33 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1263

Stuart Moore still reading this forum and is quoting peoples messages on social media laughing about peoples opinions (Seen on twitter) Guys an absolute idiot and is actually on holiday reading the forum and laughing about it ! Talk about get a life you sad sad man !!!!!!!

By gregs25/4/2019 12:39Thu Apr 25 12:39:51 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1072

Stuart gave years to Staines and cares deeply about the club. You need to show some respect. It is incredibly sad to see what's happened this season but even more worryingly, what will happen next. I find it strange that the chairman has waited until know to put this statement out. Also to give the impression he bought the club to save it is really hard to believe and laughable as he had no affiliation at all, unless I'm wrong. He was in to make money as were the others. His view of last seasons players and management an what happened doesn't match with anyone I have spoken to either at the time it happened or since so I'm finding anything that is said hard to believe. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and happy to be proved as such........one thing that is needed is a response from Matthew Boon as it seems to suggest things were badly wrong before the takeover. Again strange when you'd have thought the new people would/should have done their due diligence......

2 people like this 2 people   

By DevonSwan26/4/2019 20:45Fri Apr 26 20:45:37 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1047

' ]Also to give the impression he bought the club to save it is really hard to believe and laughable as he had no affiliation at all, unless I'm wrong. He was in to make money as were the others.'

Funny how someone can read the same statement that I did and get a completely different interpretation; especially the second bit. I don't believe that any body would seriously buy a Non League club and expect to make money. And nowhere in the statement does Joe give the impression that he was trying to be our guardian angel and save the Club - he is merely stating a fact that without him we would not have a STFC.

By gregs27/4/2019 10:37Sat Apr 27 10:37:33 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 943

I seem to remember the statement when they took over of being a league club in 10 years? You can't do that without making money and a lot more than the club generates now. You're saying he bought the club happy knowing he was going to lose money?

By Norm27/4/2019 11:33Sat Apr 27 11:33:43 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 974

Good to see the forum coming alive -long may it last.

Interesting to read the posts on STFC Twitter from Tommy Brewer and Ben Martin on the evening that the Chairmans explanations were issued.

Significant different stories emerging-cant't both be true-so someone is telling porkies.

Edited by Norm at 11:37:49 on 27th April 2019

By cardiganman (Inspector Morse)25/4/2019 12:51Thu Apr 25 12:51:24 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 974

Nah thanks, won't be showing him any respect until he shows the STFC supporters some respect.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Devon Swan part deux24/4/2019 12:35Wed Apr 24 12:35:36 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1167

If these people cared a jot about the club or Alan’s legacy then they wouldn’t be sitting by trying to undermine the efforts that Joe has gone too trying to stabilise the club.

Put up, help out or shut up and disappear! The club need people that are prepared to get stuck in and help out in whatever way they can. The past is the past and the only way there will be a future is if those that care get together and pull in the same direction. Nobody is forcing anyone to attend matches or help out so if you don’t want to then watch you football elsewhere and keep your opinions to yourself.

By cardiganman (Inspector Morse)24/4/2019 13:22Wed Apr 24 13:22:12 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1136

Yes agree and a fantastic post from Wakes above.

Boon sold the club to the only people that were interested and has been AWOL since , his sister by pure coincidence starts working at the Thames club. .. sounds fishy to me.

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By DevonSwan24/4/2019 13:41Wed Apr 24 13:41:55 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1131

Great post from Wakes and now is the time for true Swans fans to get behind Joe and the Club. Joe I'm sure would be the first to admit that he has made mistakes but I believe he has our long term future as a priority, which is the way it should be. Joe has taken a lot of undeserved criticism from people who do not know the facts, and he could easily have quit by now.
Those that have left the Club and choose to mock it from afar have shown their true colours and were clearly not true supporters in the first place - they all obviously have their own agendas. Those that have stayed represent the future of STFC, so we have now hit rock bottom and the only way is up.

COME ON YOU SWANS!

By John Blair24/4/2019 21:26Wed Apr 24 21:26:43 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1156

I echo Wakes and Devon Swan comments about supporters needing to unite together to help STFC rebuild.
Nobody is happy about the way this season has gone , and we all hope that next season sees an improvement on and off the pitch.
The bad times in football make you appreciate the good times in football.
Lets all try and help the club get the good times back next season,

By Keith25/4/2019 09:08Thu Apr 25 09:08:36 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1129

What has happened [and still happening] is very sad! Have to say though that when I visited on Saturday it was great to see the many friends made over the years at the club all smiling despite the seasons upheaval.

You guys should be proud of yourselves for your continued support.

See you Saturday .... and you Trev!

By STFCfan26/4/2019 10:13Fri Apr 26 10:13:23 2019In response to Re: What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1003

Totally agree with the previous comments from Devon Swan and Wakes. Joe has done the right thing in having a long term view for the club and without that we may not have a club this season.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinions, people posting “facts” they have heard on the grapevine on twitter only stirs the pot and I’m sure wouldn’t be happening if the season had gone better and they were coming to matches....

By Dessie23/4/2019 00:09Tue Apr 23 00:09:57 2019In response to What has actually gone wrong this season?Top of thread

Views: 1352

As a Hendon fan it’s extremely sad to see a good club like Staines collapse so terribly. But.... I ask as well, what exactly has happened? I notice that there is no comment on the forum about the actual matches, which is understandable given the circumstances, but why have there been over 100 players used and a total collapse as a credible team?

Previous thread: STFC Club Statement - A message from the Chairman by V W Swan24/4/2019 14:57Wed Apr 24 14:57:32 2019view thread