Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by ArthurToday 08:09Today at 08:09:15view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Confirmed Pre Season Friendlies by V W Swan27/5/2019 16:17Mon May 27 16:17:06 2019view thread

Joe Aribo

By Arthur13/5/2019 19:52Mon May 13 19:52:44 2019

Views: 1139

We are rightly proud of Dave Wheeler's exploits after leaving Wheatsheaf Park. Should we not be giving thanks for Aribo and his growing career at He played a blinder at the weekend and we should look forward to Friday night

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Joe Aribo

By Norm13/5/2019 20:13Mon May 13 20:13:26 2019In response to Joe AriboTop of thread

Views: 1084

Very good point Arthur. Did not see the game ,however he has certainly had a strong season and I think could go on and exceed the achievements of DW. Age is certainly on his side .

Edited by Norm at 20:14:05 on 13th May 2019

Re: Joe Aribo

By Stainesloyal14/5/2019 08:55Tue May 14 08:55:53 2019In response to Re: Joe AriboTop of thread

Views: 1049

Ahhhh yes another former academy player that the ownership at the time didn't sign and let go to another big club for absolutely nothing.

Joe Aribo , Dushane Dalling and Dominic Dwyer who is probably the best of them all ! Add them all to the long list of academy players that we let go and got a big fat zero for.

In case anyone didn't know Dominic Dwyer has played for the US national team and the MLS Allstar team of the season...

I have seen Joe play live a couple of times in recent months and he has become a fantastic player and I wish him the best of luck. But I doubt he considers Staines Town as a catalyst in his professional career. Staines had absolutely nothing to do with the development of this guy, Marcus Gayle barely even played him in the first team.

Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...

By Wakes14/5/2019 13:20Tue May 14 13:20:51 2019In response to Re: Joe AriboTop of thread

Views: 1067

were the 3 goal scorers in the Doncaster v Charlton play off match the other night and incredibly all 3 are ex Staines! You forgot to mention Lyle Taylor who OUR academy actually converted into a striker from centre back before signing for Millwall I believe? Disappointingly without making a single first team appearance for us. Joe Aribo made 20 odd appearances for us? under Marcus Gayle without setting the world alight before again disappointingly for us departing for Charlton after a trial for no fee. John Marquis scored several goals for us on loan under Steve Cordery in the Conference South.

IMO the Academy is no real loss as every player that ended up playing professionally, we got zero fee for and near enough zero first team appearances. The only real bona fide STFC product was Scott Taylor who came straight out of our old Youth team and played half a season, scoring a large number of goals before being snapped up by Millwall for 15K before signing for Bolton Wanderers and playing in the Premiership. I believe we made in total around 30k, a lot of money 25 years ago.

Is the academy such a loss???

Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...

By Boomshankar16/5/2019 09:56Thu May 16 09:56:40 2019In response to Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 981

The question, "Is losing the Academy such a loss?", is just quite ridiculous. If the first team managers were bothered to interest themselves in the Academy and actually take an interest, which means watching the academy sometime, it would be a start.
I am not sure that Steve Cordery new staines had an academy team and all the managers since have just given lip service to it. You can probably count the fingers on one hand the times a first team manager watched an Academy game, with a view to accessing what youngsters were available.
Once Joe Aribo was too old for the U18's, he was introduced into the first team squad and I sat many times watching the first team struggling on the pitch, with Joe sat on the bench, asking the question, how he could not be starting in the side. At the end of the season Nicky Forster told him he was not needed at Staines and he was released.
Over the last few years, too many very talented players have not been noticed, nurtured or introduced into the first team structure and the club has been culpable of paying ridiculous amounts of wages to older players who offer very little.
Fair play to Joe, who has an excellent attitude and a massive amount of talent which was quite clearly missed and ignored by the management at Staines.
In non league football, teams are full of players who have come through Academies, it is how the Academies are used and valued, by the parent club, which dictates whether it reaps any reward.

By cardiganman (Inspector Morse)16/5/2019 16:28Thu May 16 16:28:09 2019In response to Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 951

Just seen today that young Joe is linked with City and Arsenal !!

I agree with your comments regarding management Boom but do you not think the instruction should come from the top ? Surely if the previous ownership had instructed that first team managers had to watch academy games then Joe's talent may not have gone unmissed... the football club as a whole failed them.

That being said i'm sure Marcus Gayle was employed on a full time basis... did he ever go to these games ?

By Stainesloyal14/5/2019 14:31Tue May 14 14:31:48 2019In response to Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 1053

No i don't think it is much of a loss, the players were never given an opportunity in the first team and when they did they were never signed ... begs the question why we even had an academy in the first place !

By Torquayrob17/5/2019 08:03Fri May 17 08:03:08 2019In response to Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 952

To fill our first team this year!

By Arthur17/5/2019 08:38Fri May 17 08:38:54 2019In response to Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 942

We should be rejoicing that players from our academy are making a name for themselves with Football League clubs. Any footballer will want to play at the highest level they can. The person who will know whether a young player can play at a higher level within a club is the person who watches him week in week out - the youth team manager. He should ve recommending players to the first team manager, who in turn should go and watch that player on a number of occasions. When that young player is in the first team squad, he should be gradually introduced to first team football, maybe starting with cameo appearances to follow on with becoming a first team regular ........ Trent Alexander at Liverpool; Declan Rice at West Ham immediately spring to mind. Drax had the right idea including Martin Spong as part of his management team ......and Drax was certainly not the best manager we have had. These youngsters deserve to be given a chance and then move on to better things. We should rejoice that they were part of ours. However with the current state of what is going on, our loss is Bedfont's gain

By Follow the Swans17/5/2019 08:58Fri May 17 08:58:31 2019In response to Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 956

This is the first response to comments about the Academy that is IMO creditable. ALL the youngsters are given a great start in life by the set up and Kingston College to support their passion for football with an education. The club is now getting lots of attention because of Joe’s amazing success and it is a shame we are not using it. This season the Academy had no on-line content on the clubs website so I offered and created one for them. It is my belief that without Martyn, Fabes and all the Academy coaches working week in week out for the lads then the opportunities for the likes of Joe would sadly be much less for home grown talent! Keith

By Wakes17/5/2019 09:43Fri May 17 09:43:39 2019In response to Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 946

Bedfont Sports can learn a lot from what went on at Staines and if they can get their management team to take a pro active role with the Academy then they can succeed where Staines failed. Their aim should be to get the best players into the first team on contracts and should a pro club come in for them then a fee will be required.

It’s fair to say the academy was wasted at Staines as every single decent player slipped through the net with no benefit to the club whatsoever, 16 years wasted. Lessons well and truly learnt with Bedfont now having the chance to success where Staines didn’t.

Edited by Wakes at 09:44:45 on 17th May 2019

By Boomshankar17/5/2019 10:13Fri May 17 10:13:31 2019In response to Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 968

With regards to Bedfont Sports, if you look at the amount of youth team players that have progressed through to the first team, this has always been high, as they have always looked to promote from within. I think that by now linking themselves with Kingston college academy, they are increasing their pool of younger players, to obviously help build their strength, right through the club, to the first team. It seems to be a very shrewd move and you can only applaud them for that.
I am aware for many years that players were recommended by the youth team management to Staines first team staff, but as I have said before, it is what the first team manager chose to do with the resources available which has to be questioned. The owners of the club now and previously could certainly vouch for the amount of money it has cost to finance the playing staff over the years and it is simply not sustainable to keep paying the extortionate wages that some players demand. I am sure as supporters, you have seen some of the mediocre players in the past few years, however, some of you may not realise the ridiculous wages some of them attain.
From promoting from within where possible, it must help with the running of a non league club, as unless you are a very wealthy owner, it can prove very costly and not sustainable.

By Norm19/5/2019 13:46Sun May 19 13:46:36 2019In response to Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 913

and I see Nebay Haile has been voted young player of the season at Ashford town

Edited by Norm at 13:49:10 on 19th May 2019
Edited by Norm at 13:49:42 on 19th May 2019

By Swan (Swan fan)19/5/2019 15:12Sun May 19 15:12:28 2019In response to Re: Joe Aribo, Lyle Taylor and John Marquis...Top of thread

Views: 965

And Elliott Poley (also from the former Academy) was voted players player and supporters player of the season.

Previous thread: LETS JUST IMAGINE FOR ONE MOMENT......... by Norm11/5/2019 04:07Sat May 11 04:07:23 2019view thread