Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Am I right in saying… by John Blair23/4 20:12Tue Apr 23 20:12:00 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Supporting a football club is a bit like having children by John Blair24/2/2020 17:22Mon Feb 24 17:22:04 2020view thread

Promise

By Arthur19/2/2020 19:47Wed Feb 19 19:47:49 2020

Views: 1049

Having been to the last two away games. In the first we surrendered a two goal lead; and in the second we could have played for a further 24 hours and still not sc ore, I am wondering if I am the bad luck charm (some charm!!!!)> I won't be going to any more away games ..... I will still come to the home games I have seen us win at home, but not under the present safe pair of hands signed to bring us success????? Even yesterday he came off the pitch arguing about a handball not given instead of using the hairdryer treatment on players who seemed not to know each other, lacked pace and seemed less fit than the opposition. Here's hoping for better times to come with or without me.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Promise

By gregs20/2/2020 10:33Thu Feb 20 10:33:47 2020In response to PromiseTop of thread

Views: 995

I want to say first off that this isn't meant to direct blame at anyone - the club is where it is at the moment - it is purely an observation. I went to the game on Tuesday and was really shocked at the performance and more than that the total lack of desire that seemed to run through the team. This is a symptom of the selection policy with a large number of players going through the team, players on loan and dual registrations. I'm not close enough to the club to understand if this is a necessity to do this given finances but it's clearly not working. Is the club not better off to build a squad now that they can move forward with to the end of the season, work with in pre-season and give themselves the best chance for next season? I left Ashford feeling really sad for the supporters, who despite what they saw were arranging their trip to Bracknell on Saturday! Always giving 100% support as they did when I played. As I mentioned at the start, this isn't pointing blame as everyone seems to be doing what they can but I was genuinely saddened by what I saw on Tuesday but it's never too late but I really do think the club need a longer term strategy on the playing side rather than just the next couple of months. Ashford weren't the better side by a long way.....

1 person likes this 1 person   

By surreysage19/2/2020 23:17Wed Feb 19 23:17:14 2020In response to PromiseTop of thread

Views: 1018

I think your post of 10/12/19 and mine of 11/12/19 are worth re -visiting in view of where we now find ourselves.

By Arthur20/2/2020 08:21Thu Feb 20 08:21:25 2020In response to Re: PromiseTop of thread

Views: 1033

Sad but true ....... each new manager means a drastic change of players. Last season nearly 150 players in a season, 80 this. I think that the problem we have now is the Chairman made money available and we didn't use it wisely, we went for who was available, including dual registration players. They may be from Slough, 2 levels up, but currently good enough. The players don't seem to fit together, nor are they being coached to do so. The back four don't play as a unit, although individually they can compete at our level. In midfield we have an abundance of experience and skill, and no legs or pace. Up front we have players who "put in a shift" but no natural goalscorer. We just have to hope Northwood are worse than us or it certainly will be successive relegations. Sad for the fans, financially bad fo0r the club, and how many players will be turning out for us next season. Rather than a points draw, why not use the number of players wearing a first team shirt next season!!

By Swan (Swan fan)19/2/2020 20:39Wed Feb 19 20:39:06 2020In response to PromiseTop of thread

Views: 1015

I guess the sheer turnover of players (I think around 80+ this season already) means there's never any continuity and they literally won't have a clue who each other are. By the time they do either they or their teamates move or are moved on. Is there any more news about the court case I wonder? Or is combined counties League a real prospect?

By Rebel Yeller20/2/2020 10:00Thu Feb 20 10:00:04 2020In response to Re: PromiseTop of thread

Views: 986

One piece of solace is that this year it will be quite hard to get relegated. First of all only one team potentially goes down and Staines are in a group of 5 at the bottom, none of whom are any great shakes. A couple of wins will make all of the difference to a team, although I accept that Martin Kuhl has yet to win a match. Surely this must change soon. FC Romania and Northwood at home are to come and these will be critical.

And even if Staines finish bottom, for this season only, relegation is not automatic. Due to the re-organisation the 7 bottom clubs at Step 4 will play off against a runner up at Step 5. This will be arranged geographically by the FA, so if it were Staines, they would have a home one off play off against someone like Spelthorne Sports, Tring Athletic or Binfield. Surely Staines would start as favourites for this match.

Too early to despair yet.

By Arthur24/2/2020 08:08Mon Feb 24 08:08:43 2020In response to Re: PromiseTop of thread

Views: 832

I started tis thread on a positive note, and I will remain positive. However, as fans, we are still being given the mushroom treatment. Joe is a very good businessman and has the pedigree. However, I am not sure that any successfully run business would allow one of the senior management team to go without having a suitable replacement lined up. An advert on the seldom updated website and on our twitter confirms that no succession management was in place. Having taken on a number of players supposedly at the previous managers request, we have already started to lose members of our starting eleven. Any new manager would want to bring in a nucleus of their own players (see Northwood) so a new manager n will cost the Chairman. So what is going on. Possibilities may include a merger with another local club (not really acceptable to the fans); winding up the club or selling (to whom); trying to develop the current ground ........ on a flood plain (free flippers to all potential buyers); giving a new manager the funds, freedom to manage and move the club upwards; a completely new dawn to resurrect the promises made when Joe first bought the club. Whatever the reason, I will still be there tomorrow and on Saturday because like most readers of the forum, we are like a stick of rock with yellow and blue through our bodies (what - blue blooded fans!!). COYS

By DevonSwan20/2/2020 13:16Thu Feb 20 13:16:03 2020In response to Re: PromiseTop of thread

Views: 974

The current problem, highlighted by other posters, is plain to see. In the last 6 League matches we have used a total of 25 players, and that doesn't include substitutes used. At the last home league game I attended there were players who clearly didn't know their team mates' names.
The standard of this League is very poor and I have yet to see a really decent side, but we are playing against teams with settled squads, and that makes all the difference. I cant believe that any of those players currently turning out in a Staines shirt cares one jot about the plight of our Club, and when it comes to a relegation six pointer (like FC Romania in 10 days' time) I have a feeling that this will make the difference between winning and losing.
Difficult to see us finishing anywhere other than bottom at this stage and to be honest I wouldn't fancy us against Spelthorne Sports either; but as we know anything can happen in football so lets hope a miracle is around the corner.

COME ON YOU SWANS!

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)23/2/2020 21:01Sun Feb 23 21:01:59 2020In response to Re: PromiseTop of thread

Views: 837

DELETED

Edited by pp7822 at 21:04:56 on 23rd February 2020

Previous thread: Martin Kuhl’s departure by Torquayrob21/2/2020 18:30Fri Feb 21 18:30:52 2020view thread