Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Am I right in saying… by John Blair23/4 20:12Tue Apr 23 20:12:00 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Paul Barnes appointed Head Coach by V W Swan29/2/2020 09:58Sat Feb 29 09:58:02 2020view thread

Supporting a football club is a bit like having children

By John Blair24/2/2020 17:22Mon Feb 24 17:22:04 2020

Views: 915

When you choose to have a child you never know how things will turn out.
Will your child aspire to be the best and end up top of his class or will things turn out differently.
Will your child make you proud or will they drive you into despair.

Anybody who is a parent will know what i mean.

Supporting a football club is in some ways similar.

When you choose to support a football club you want them to win every game , win every trophy and be the best.
In other words you want them to make you proud of the fact that they were the team you chose to support.

If your child does things you don't like and gets into trouble do you turn your back on them or do you stand by them and offer support and try and get them back on the right track ?
If your football club has a bad spell , like many clubs at every level have had , do you turn your back on them or do you stand by them and offer support and try and get them back on the right track ?

I , for one , will not turn my back on the club that i have supported since August 1970 , even though watching STFC is not a pleasant experience at times.
I , for one , want things to improve sooner rather than later , but unlike a lot of people who have turned their back on the club I will be there when things start to improve.

COYS

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Supporting a football club is a bit like having children

By Arthur24/2/2020 19:46Mon Feb 24 19:46:00 2020In response to Supporting a football club is a bit like having childrenTop of thread

Views: 897

Neither of my boys had, nor have, the slightest interest in football. I played till the doctor stopped me, aged 23. I still played 5 a side at work against some good players ....... The best being Jim Cannon (Crystal Palace) and Mark Allen (West Ham). They were both on the comeback trail and playing 5 a side for the Maidenhead Leisure Centre team. I was often in the opposition, chosen by the leisure centre staff, as worthy opponents. Also playing with me , working for the same firm, was a certain Kevin Fidler ..... and this started my love affair with Staines Town FC. I always told him I was a better player than him - but not on a full sized pitch. I have been through some good times and sadly, of late, kept going through the bad times. I bring my Grandsons as often as possible. My granddaughter in Bournemouth proudly wears a Staines Town beanie. She wants to come with me if we can get her up here on a Saturday ...... To succeed the club needs loyal support. I try to come as often as possible - but not often away, can't say never ...... it needs a good manager; and a board willing to lead through thick and through thin. Let us support the team, find the right manager and trust the Chairman to trust us and the manager ....... Hopefully we will all be there tomorrow and Saturday. COYS

By DevonSwan25/2/2020 13:47Tue Feb 25 13:47:20 2020In response to Re: Supporting a football club is a bit like having childrenTop of thread

Views: 848

Wise words from two loyal supporters. For myself, I am extremely lucky in that I live in a great part of the Country in Devon, where I have been for 22 years now. There are a lot of plusses to living here but the one thing I miss is not being able to see the Swans on a regular basis. I have tried to adopt local teams down here, but it just isn't the same, and should the worse ever happen and Staines Town ceased to exist then I think my love of football would die with the Club.
I always say that you can change just about anything in life, but the one thing you can't change is your football team. Like JB I first saw the Swans play in 1970 just after moving to Staines; an away game at Egham Town. Should we go down (perish the thought) then the Combined Counties would certainly be the lowest level I have seen the Swans play at. I have seen many highs and quite a few lows, but none of those lows equal where we find ourself at this moment in time.
Understandably there is a lot of negativity on this forum at the moment, but as supporters all we can do is get behind Joe and the Club, because whatever our thoughts Joe is all that's keeping the Club's head above water. Things can only get better!

COME ON YOU SWANS!

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Arthur25/2/2020 23:08Tue Feb 25 23:08:08 2020In response to Re: Supporting a football club is a bit like having childrenTop of thread

Views: 778

The mother of Dennis Nielsen, a serial killer, said of her son "I may not like him nor what he has done, but I will always love him". I feel the same about my team. Tonight it looked as if the only suitable manager for us should be Bertram Mills. I played a bit - and was taught from schoolboy, when you have the ball you should expect at least 2 shouts from team mates around. This gave you a choice of simple passes. If you are calling for the ball (making the shout) you should be on the move, not static. Tonight, in a very sparse crowd, you could see and hear no one calling for the ball. The goalkeeper made two glaring errors. The first was for the goal. He had a clear vision and should have e called for the defender to clear the ball, or to head the ball back. There was no call, and he was in no mans land between the six yard box and penalty spot ..... He also gave a short goal kick to a player with an opponent all over his back and shouted at that player for losing the ball. I hate to single out players, but a goalkeeping mistake is always the one that cannot be rectified. The truth is that it was a very poor performance in a game that should have been there for the taking. I certainly do not like what I am currently watching, but I love this team and always will. COYS

Previous thread: Promise by Arthur19/2/2020 19:47Wed Feb 19 19:47:49 2020view thread