Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Am I right in saying… by John Blair23/4 20:12Tue Apr 23 20:12:00 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Appeal for a missing teamsheet!!!! by Danswan_12122/5/2020 13:27Fri May 22 13:27:09 2020view thread

A lovely Present

By Arthur15/5/2020 08:54Fri May 15 08:54:52 2020

Views: 729

Good afternoon everyone

Following the premature end to the season I hope that everybody is in good health and has not been too badly impacted by the UK Government lockdown.

It is important to start by thanking all the staff, players, volunteers , the supporters club and our fans for their support and commitment to the club during the 2019/20 season.

Like all Football Clubs at every level of British and European football the current situation will have a significantly negative impact on us and we like everybody else would greatly appreciate any support that our local community can offer us whilst at the same time realising and understanding that things are both tight and uncertain economically for local people.

Having said that Staines Town Football Club is in a fairly unique position in that for the last two seasons we have had very little income and have modelled our finances and made provisions accordingly, whilst separately investing in areas that we hope will give us long term security. As a result of these provisions and our focus on the long term I am confident that we will overcome the current difficulties that all clubs are now facing.

With regards to next season we are very much in the dark in terms of dates and have to be guided by the League and the FA as to when they believe it will be appropriate for us to start. As soon as this becomes clearer news relating to our preparations will be available to supporters.

Our groundsman Steve Honey who did a brilliant job for us last season has already begun preparations on the pitch and the extended lay off should mean that it will be in excellent condition come the start of the new season, as you can see from the attached picture taken earlier today.

Finally I hope that everybody has as good a summer as possible under the circumstances and look forward to welcoming you back to Wheatsheaf Park for the start of the new season whenever that may be.

Joe Dixon

(CHAIRMAN)

This was my morning gift when I logged on this morning. I have to say thank you to the Chairman for indicating that our club are in a good position to ensure a football future at Wheatsheaf Park. I am not sure about his comments regarding a club with very little income. I agree there has ben no sponsorship, nor is there likely to be any in the near future. However, to get a return on any business, including a football club, there needs to be an adequate level of investment. That is not what we havee really had, except for a brief period when Mahrez was manager, and more recently with the current manager (I do find it difficult to call him Barnesy - just an age thing!!). All I ask is a team that is competitive at whatever level it is playing ....... my ambitions currently would be to look at National League South ...... this would give us bigger crowds, more income and putting us "back where we belong". A couple of good cup runs would be the icing on the cake.

So a qualified thank you to the Chairman; maybe I will see you all again soon; but most importantly stay safe and keep well.

Take care, Come on you Swans

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: A lovely Present

By Surreysage (Norm)16/5/2020 00:25Sat May 16 00:25:59 2020In response to A lovely PresentTop of thread

Views: 669

We now know who our Groundsman is -he did a great job last year- so very pleased he is continuing with us.

Think it strange that the Chairman does not mention Paul Barnes- the Manager for the last few weeks of the season, who made a very good impression in the few games in charge.-Is he continuing as our manager for the new season -(I certainly hope this is the situation)

I think this needs to be confirmed by the Chairman - good news has been in very short supply over the last two years . To hear that we are going into the new season with a settled management team will be a positive step, and at the same time encouraging supporters to continue supporting the "Boost the Budget " run by the supporters club.

A new commercial guy was appointed early on last season , (I was told it was a mate of the Chairmans) I have no clue who he was , what he looked like or even if he attended any games.More to the point there was no evidence ,as far as I could see,of any new advertising or sponsorship around the ground and indeed the Chairman mentions that there had been very little income generated over the last 2 seasons.

Is the same commercial guy still on board as the evidence suggests that he may not have the connections or experience needed to generate the cash so badly needed by the club.

I totally agree Arthur that a cup run is so very important-last season we did Ok generating I guess around £12k or so but it would not surprise me if this was swallowed up by the decision against the club at Staines court in respect monies due to TTC.

Take care , stay safe

Edited by Norm at 00:27:29 on 16th May 2020
Edited by Norm at 00:31:50 on 16th May 2020

By Arthur16/5/2020 20:51Sat May 16 20:51:54 2020In response to Re: A lovely PresentTop of thread

Views: 619

I am sure that there are other Swans fans out there reading this and you have had more openings than Bank Station to respond. My criticisms of the Chairman (he probably reads this too) regard the players we are w3atching. At our level players are usually all known to the manager and change when the manager changes. This isn't like full professional football where players are contracted to0 the club. We need a good manager. We had three last season. Antony Gale, who quite rightly left the club, Mahrez, who was treated shabbily by the club; and Anthony Barnes,who we are hoping will continue with us. Each assembled a squad that could compete at the level we are. Sadly the managers we hard in the season after the change of ownership and for much of the expunged season haven't been able to assemble anything like a reasonable squad. The poor quality of players has led to poor results and diminishing attendances. The Chairman's involvement in choice of manager and playing budget can be crirticised. At any level of football, and in any business, funds have to be invested to get a decent return. At the time of the take over, there were suggestions of making the team self funding. Sadly this can only come after an initial investment. Any other actions of the club are incidental to what I, as a fan, want from the club. Towards the end of the season, we were competitive and watching my team was becoming a pleasure again. Last season I wa shopping for at least one shot on target in a game. Towards the end of this season, and under Mahrez, we could look for goals, victories, and to come away from the ground knowing we had got our money's worth from the game, even from the games we lost. Let's hope the chair5mn reads this and invests properly in manager (hopefully Mr Bsrnes (still find it difficult to say Barnesy) and he can assemble a decent squad who we can recognise and get behind. Having seen over a hundred players turn out in our colours in each of the last two seasons is not to be seen again. Lets hope we can soon see football and get behind our team. The team was there before even I was born, it will be there after I have gone, but wee need to nurture it, and recognise the role of the owners - and trust that they recognise their duties to the fans. Who knows we will again be singing - its just like watching Brazil. COYS

By Surreysage (Norm)17/5/2020 09:54Sun May 17 09:54:44 2020In response to Re: A lovely PresentTop of thread

Views: 622

Congratulations Arthur for a very honest and accurate summary of where we are at STFC. I agree with every point you have made.

Sadly there is very little traffic on this forum these days as those who in the past posted and contributed here have been "warned off " not to engage by he above who must be obeyed.

It seems there is a price to pay for being given a stripey tie!!!!!!!!!!!

By Arthur17/5/2020 14:38Sun May 17 14:38:09 2020In response to Re: A lovely PresentTop of thread

Views: 621

If this is true then I am very sad. The only way for any organisation, let alone football club, to succeed is to hear all points of view, - the good, the bad, and the ugly. It should never be on dictate from the top saying its my way or the highway. The very basis of universal suffrage is that no one persons view is more important than another. We are all entitled to our own views, and by airing those views we come to a consensus way forward. In tis instance all we want is to enjoy watching a competitive game of football together. We will almost certainly not always agree on the Man of the Match or even agree on relative player performances, but we 3enjoy listening to each others views and enjoy the games - and hopefully the results. COYS

By Surreysage (Norm)17/5/2020 19:01Sun May 17 19:01:44 2020In response to Re: A lovely PresentTop of thread

Views: 625

I would like to be proved wrong Arthur -however I only ever post on here the facts-sadly the facts are not always acceptable to everyone .I am always happy to support good decisions and back it up with financial support. I am not prepared to support bad decisions no matter who makes them , sadly last season a great deal of supporters financial input was wasted on illogical and knee jerk decisions.

If you look at the well run and successful non league clubs there is always a healthy debate between supporters and good,honest ,and transparent dialogue between club owners/management and the supporters.. After all what is the basis of a NL football club if it is not for the supporters.

Look forward to meeting you Arthur-hopefully sooner rather than later.

Take care and stay safe

Previous thread: Preparations for a new season by Arthur8/5/2020 10:01Fri May 8 10:01:40 2020view thread