Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Brentford 'B' and Academy teams to use Wheatsh… by ezrahidayaToday 08:04Today at 08:04:32view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: What's missing? by Arthur12/5/2021 09:22Wed May 12 09:22:53 2021view thread

Mum's the word

By Arthur4/5/2021 21:42Tue May 4 21:42:43 2021

Views: 871

I thought the lack of comment on here over the weekend was to empathise with those complaining about the abuse given on social messaging. I am now beginning to think it may be apathy. Firstly we have a new manager and we should be getting behind him. He has a non-league background, latterly as a scout for Slough Town. This should mean he has seen a lot of football and players who can compete at the level where we are playing. Let's get behind him hoping that he can give us competitive football for the coming season.

Secondly our supporters club Chairman has sadly had to stand down for personal reasons. The value of his tenure over the period from the end of the Boon years and the move to our new ownership period cannot be valued. He should be receiving great plaudits for the skill and dexterity in keeping open a dialogue between Board and supporters, when many of us have been critical about accepting the change. I accept I am one who may have been over critical at times. However the Supporters Club Chairman has quietly and efficiently gone about his business keeping all lines of communication open. He has been a significant part of the fund raising activities whereby the supporters club have given, and are giving, financial help to the club. Surely both us as supporters, and the football club should be giving some permanent recognition of his work.

PS |also think John has done a sterling job for the supporters club, but hopefully, for a man in his late 20's, he is not considering retiring just yet!!

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   

Re: Mum's the word

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)5/5/2021 16:33Wed May 5 16:33:37 2021In response to Mum's the wordTop of thread

Views: 975

WELL SAID!! how many times have we had significant events and this forum fails to comment on it?!! Last time our manger departed and people on this page were playing some bingo/lottery game!??! Guys come
On!! We are Staines town football club, we are here for football !! Not a teaclub, not a bingo club. Dave Norris steps down and zero posts... New manager and only this thread! Discuss.....

Edited by pp7822 at 16:34:16 on 5th May 2021
Edited by pp7822 at 16:34:31 on 5th May 2021

By Rebel Yeller5/5/2021 16:21Wed May 5 16:21:14 2021In response to Mum's the wordTop of thread

Views: 805

I too found the lack of comment on the new manager interesting. It may be apathy or it may just be supporter exhaustion. Since the start of The Troubles, the club has gone through numerous managers and vast numbers of players. On at least two occasions the club seemed to be getting somewhere, only for the manager to depart.

Staines do not have a huge supporter base, but they have been loyal. But even the most loyal struggle when the poor times never seem to end. The issues with the ground and landlords doesn't help either. Neither does not having played a game for 6 months, with 2 months of inaction still to come.

With pre-season poking its head over the far horizon and with a new man at the helm, we should start seeing some new faces at the Lane, together with some friendlies. I suspect then that we will see some sort of resurgence of enthusiasm.

By Surreysage (Norm)5/5/2021 09:16Wed May 5 09:16:03 2021In response to Mum's the wordTop of thread

Views: 996

Good thoughts Arthur-I am sure that all supporters endorse your gratitude for the hard work that David has put in.

High hopes for the new manager ,his success at Windsor was outstanding . However, he needs financial resources to work with-lets hope they are made available to him

Norm

Edited by Norm at 09:23:07 on 5th May 2021
Edited by Norm at 09:24:10 on 5th May 2021

By Surreysage (Norm)6/5/2021 09:34Thu May 6 09:34:23 2021In response to Re: Mum's the wordTop of thread

Views: 789

Please bear in mind that supporters may have been sending private notes to David thanking him for all his hard work over the last 6 years rather than posting on a public domain such as this.

Supporters need to be kept updated relating to the various ongoing issues around the club (and there are many ) during these long periods of absence from the ground. If not, is it little surprise that they drift away and loose interest in even contributing to the forum.

Why did we loose our last manager so quickly-how can we make sure the same circumstances are not repeated to avoid future managers taking the same pathway. Totally behind the new manager and I know supporters will be backing him to the hilt -surprised club owner has not added his voice to the welcome .

Stability and continuity with realistic financial support must be the building blocks if we are to progress and the club must be honest and open at all times ( good and bad) if they are to grow the fan base .

Best wishes
Norm

Parhaps when allowed we could have a supporters BBQand beer ,pitchside, to meet the new Chaiman and Manager

Edited by Norm at 09:38:35 on 6th May 2021

By Arthur7/5/2021 08:30Fri May 7 08:30:58 2021In response to Re: Mum's the wordTop of thread

Views: 689

I really hope lots of supporters will have written personal letters of thanks to David Norris. The value of the work that he and John have led us mere mortals to add in support to the club, as well as to the team, cannot be quantified. However, as supporters on this forum we could, and should be pushing for more fitting recognition. How about "life membership" to ensure a meaningful recognition for the man every time he attends the future matches as a fan. The club cannot survive without its fan base. We really do need to increase the fan base numerically, whilst maintaining the loyalty levels of the few currently displaying their loyalty. I may be on life support at my age, but I really hope that there is a future after I have gone to greener pastures. We should recognise the part that David Norris has played in our past.

We now have a new man at the managerial helm. We need to get behind him. He has a pedigree and knowledge of the game at our level. Let us hope he can provide us a side that can compete. This should help us to bring along colleagues for an enjoyable game of football.

By Colin Oaten5/5/2021 20:23Wed May 5 20:23:36 2021In response to Re: Mum's the wordTop of thread

Views: 793

I have to admit,i came on here after id seen the Woodham news break on Twitter and was astounded to see zero reaction. I did think about starting a thread but like others i suspect,just wondered if we were respecting the social media ban.

Colin Oaten

By Wakes5/5/2021 22:04Wed May 5 22:04:52 2021In response to Re: Mum's the wordTop of thread

Views: 770

A lot of forums have become dead since the arrival of Twitter but it is also true that the Massive message board has become something of a ghost town for too long now. Doesn’t help that the club has been doing badly since the Boons departed and this goes a long way towards that. Here’s hoping we have a successful season under Mick Woodham, I’ve heard some good things about him! COYS!!!

Previous thread: Dave Norris Departs... by Yellow Swan5/5/2021 16:28Wed May 5 16:28:04 2021view thread