Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Am I right in saying… by John Blair23/4 20:12Tue Apr 23 20:12:00 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Guernsey Away Anyone!? by Yellow Swan19/5/2021 21:51Wed May 19 21:51:46 2021view thread

Tuesday

By Arthur16/5/2021 09:14Sun May 16 09:14:31 2021

Views: 615

Most houses in the borough have been leafletted by the council to put their views on their planned proposals for the development of Staines. Normally I would have put this in the round filing cabinet indoors and helped fill my re0cycling bin. however, I am going to air my views and would urge each of you to consider giving yours. Firstly, I have written to a number of councillors on more than one occasion about the plight of our club. The only time they responded was when I copied in the local paper about the issue of development of our ground. If they really think that the borough needs to improve its cultural life, football is a big part of the nations culture and should also be a big part of the town's culture. Whist bigger and better town centre developments are seemingly an easy tick box bringing more visitors and residents to the borough, I would ask you if this is really the best move for the borough at this time. Sadly we have to accept that global warming is a fact of life. Our ground has been flooded too frequently in recent years. What would further development in the area bring. The average person uses 142 tires of water per day. The average family uses 12,00 gallons of water per month - washing machines, dishwashers, showers included. The underground drainage system of our town was built in 1902, when showers were holed buckets on sticks. SWkelmersdale, a fairly "new town" is already asking for government aid as many of their 87 underpasses flood in the winter. Their council put the main cause to new developments that the drainage system cannot cope with. Similarly Tewkesbury have raised the same issue with the same underlying causes. Guioldford Street and Commercial Road were flooded last year with raw sewage in the roads. Is this the kind of town we really want to live in? The biggest land owner in the borough is the council, financed by one of the highest debt levels of any council. Should we encourage them to encourage private developers to destroy our town? Which is where we come back to the football ground. The freehold is currently owned by the Thames Club, albeit in dubious circumstances. The lease has a real clause in 8 years and the freehold is being eyed by developers for residential development - good for the developers and bad for the culture, and the public health of the town. If you feel as strongly as I do, air your views to the council. I may not be here in 8 years, but I do care about those who are following on.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Tuesday

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)18/5/2021 15:49Tue May 18 15:49:32 2021In response to TuesdayTop of thread

Views: 580

Personally, let’s leave local politics off this forum. This is about Staines Town FC. There are plenty of of local Staines chat type groups on FB discussing this topic already.

By Arthur18/5/2021 21:12Tue May 18 21:12:35 2021In response to Re: TuesdayTop of thread

Views: 596

There is a break clause in our lease within the next few years. Part of the proposed developments include the use of Wheatsheaf Park for residential development. However, if that is of no interest to you as a supporter, I don't really understand why. Let's all enjoy the football while we can. As I said, in 8 years I might not be here. FYI I don't have a mobile phone and am not a Facebook user

By gregs19/5/2021 08:31Wed May 19 08:31:02 2021In response to Re: TuesdayTop of thread

Views: 571

Need to be more concerned about the next couple of months? Any news on squad, friendlies etc....? All I see on Twitter are clubs announcing there schedule of friendlies and signings and/or players staying....not even any news on Mick Woodham's staff, which I'd have thought he would have in place when he took the job? Apologies if I have missed anything

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)19/5/2021 21:48Wed May 19 21:48:51 2021In response to Re: TuesdayTop of thread

Views: 537

Precisely my point. Of course local politics matters but fit me, the fact we have barely signed a player, we haven’t a single friendly (that I know of) planned, no announcement of how we plan to get fans back in the ground... Other clubs are already doing this....

Previous thread: VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED – MATCHDAY BOARDROOM by Danswan_12117/5/2021 17:16Mon May 17 17:16:21 2021view thread