Return to front page

Newest article: Those were the days ...... by Arthur17/4 07:24Wed Apr 17 07:24:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: STFC Accounts by Surreysage6/10/2021 22:40Wed Oct 6 22:40:42 2021view thread

Manager Sacked ?

By Stainesloyal4/10/2021 16:42Mon Oct 4 16:42:26 2021

Views: 992

Unbelievable, just simply unbelievable. Another manager out of the door and another vague statement regarding the exit.
Presumably "the circumstances" mentioned in the statement are that of having absolutely zero budget and an owner with football league aspirations.

To tell the squad members to still attend training is mightily embarrassing and potentially a new all time low for the club.

https://stainestownfootballclub.co.uk/club-statement-mick-woodham/

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   

Re: Manager Sacked ?

By swanvesta4/10/2021 17:50Mon Oct 4 17:50:27 2021In response to Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1092

Nothing this club does surprises me anymore, as far as I am concerned this once great club died in April 2018, when the new owners took over with great promises, and is now the laughing stock of non league football, shame on them they now who they are. ???

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)5/10/2021 11:59Tue Oct 5 11:59:11 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1220

I agree with the observations made above, as far as I’m concerned the club finished when the Boon’s left. It started slightly before this when the ‘choir’ left and alot of familiar faces down the Lane were nowhere to be seen.

We were only a few years back competing for National League football and competing in the proper rounds of the FA Cup. That is all now a very distant memory.

The club is now collapsing beneath us and is all but a shadow of its old former proud self. Nothing surprises me anymore, it’s all just really embarrassing. Even in the club statement we are publicly reminding our first team players to ‘turn up for training’!!

It’s extremely sad and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this is the final season for our club. I don’t think any one of us would be at all surprised to see the next statement announcing the club folding. I sincerely hope this is not the case but for me, looking on, it seems highly likely.

Edited by pp7822 at 12:00:30 on 5th October 2021

By Arthur4/10/2021 22:53Mon Oct 4 22:53:48 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 996

I agree we have had a plethora of managers. Sadly for the fans players tend to move on with the old manager and the new manager comes in with his own squad. The only time I think we held on to players, and the incoming manager started to produce both competitive football and good results was when Mahrez (arguably our then best player) became manager. Sadly, his tenure was terminated too soon. I would agree that from the club statement, they didn't want the manager to go. Their acceptance of the resignation was "reluctant." The probability was that he had, indeed, taken the current squad to its limits - and that the team were not really good enough to compete at the level required. The squad needed strengthening, which would have required a greater investment. Almost certainly, logic says, increased on field success means larger crowds, promotion would also increase gate takings and income for the club. The current owners aim is that the club becomes self financing. The examples from the top of the football pyramid show that the initial investment in the team is needed before the success on the field comes. At our level, in arguably every instance, any successful player in our squad moves on ..... for more money. Without the investment the club will flounder, until the few are watching the Swans n direct competition with Staines Lamas and Wraysbury ....... And we are still getting some major structural problems in the stands that need fixing ..... our we may be playing at Commercial Park!!

By Arthur5/10/2021 10:35Tue Oct 5 10:35:57 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1069

What I forgot to add was that the problems did not start with the current owners. It started with the demise of Alan boon. Matthew's heart was not in it. He fulfilled his father's wishes to continue to run the club. The money from the successful televised cup runs was not re-invested in the club. As the 2008 economic down turn (sorry to mention politics) adversely impacted Matthew's businesses so the lack of investment in the team accelerated. Dra walking out at half time in a cup final for lack of a budget for the next season, and players announcing they were moving on left the new owners in a dire mess from which they have never recovered. They too have made mistakes. They have not been perfect, nor lived up to the promises made. However, they are not totally to blame. There is a conundrum of what came first, the chicken or the egg. With football there is no conundrum ..... on field success, increasing attendances and better quality football does not come without original investment. It is that lack of investment that caused, I believe, led Mick to resign. That lack of investment will almost inevitably lead to failure by any succeeding manager. I have seen a picture of Steve Parsons in the club kit. I hope he has got his boots down from the loft!!

By Stainesloyal5/10/2021 11:15Tue Oct 5 11:15:33 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1019

Arthur I agree with the majority of both posts here, Particularly regarding the previous owner. But fundamentally the owner is not investing enough money to run the football club correctly. (Correction - Investing ANY money) There are genuinely Sunday sides that spend more money.

He knew what it cost when he took over.

He knows what other clubs spend to survive.

I don't have the finance personally to do this but that's why I'm a supporter ! The self-sufficient club idea is an absolute load of garbage. The club is self sufficient now... it earns nothing and spends nothing. The club being Self Sufficient is his way of owning the club without spending a penny.

This isn't a situation as fans where we have to sit back and accept this, The sooner people realise that the better.

This club is being run into the ground, for what reason I don't know - But there is a clear clear lack of interest or investment from the owner so I politely suggest he packs up and moves on. There is no future for this club under the current ownership and the people of Staines deserve a lot better.

By Arthur5/10/2021 16:35Tue Oct 5 16:35:39 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 927

I am not sure about all this criticism I do know Joe has funded certain "big name" players out of his own pocket. Che 'Grabbendam springs to mind. I have been assured that there correct due diligence was carried out. I know his aim is to make the club "self funding," but to make that work I know investment up from is required.

I do not believe he had any other ulterior motives for the club and the land. The change of use plans for the site emanate from the Thames Club and its owners. Sadly for them the only use for the land is existing use - Global Warming rules ........ I believe Joe has put a lot of effort into that fight and the battles haver been won. Sadly the war isn't yet over.

As for investment in players ....... Can we afford to re-sign Steve Parsons?

By Stainesloyal5/10/2021 16:57Tue Oct 5 16:57:49 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1126

Joe may have funded certain players out of his own pocket but that's what every single owner has to do at our level. So unfortunately he gets no credit from me for that. The supporters have propped up the playing budget for the last two years and that absolutely stinks. This football club needs a weekly competitive budget to survive.

If he doesn't invest on the pitch then there won't be a team that justifies a facility like Wheatsheaf Park. That is why his intentions make absolutely no sense.

What is the point in spending "millions" on the gym building but having a combined counties team playing there ? (Or Worse) It does make you wonder ...

Joe Dixon's investment and interest has dwindled year on year, he needs to hand the club over and move on.

By Arthur6/10/2021 08:43Wed Oct 6 08:43:16 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1067

We are all getting very negative on here with destructive criticism aimed at one man. Let's remember Joe was one of four who invested into Staines Town when Matthew put the club up for sale. It is arguablyle that had no buyers come forward the club would already have folded. Some rash promises were made - and I am not sure that Joe made the assertions about football league status. As 3 of the investors saw that the return on their investments was not going to be short term, it was Joe who took on their shareholdings as they left the club. This put Joe as the major shareholder (I believe Matthew still is a shareholder). Joe has spent a lot of money on the fight to get long term tenure at Wheatsheaf Park - a freehold that was "spirited" away from the club to the Thames Club for no consideration to the club. Those legal funds spent by Joe could otherwise have been investments in the team. Joe has made some bad decisions - but nobody (not even me!!!) is perfect. All we seem to be doing is asking someone to have elastic pockets and spend more and more o the club as we, not he, see fit for the best use of his money.
Should we follow the Leyton Orient route, where the shares were "gifted:" to the supporters club. At that point, the Orient were in play off places to the Championship. The stewardship of the supporters (lack of funds) led to the club dropping into the National League. They recouped and, with the "self funding model" are now in play off places in League Two. The team had to drop levels ........ Or should we follow the Burnley model of shares being offered to the supporters. Here we must remember those shares would have rights; and also obligations. The shareholders would have to meet the investments in the team proportionately to their shareholdings. Should we just get a new investor. Who, a Russian oligarch, a Middle Eastern Sheikh? Who would want to put money into a club where the supporters are always wingeing (I don't exempt myself from this) and telling the investor how to spend their money.

I will still come to watch a team including ...... any notable person you can name at the club ...... providing they wear yellow and blue

By Stainesloyal6/10/2021 09:03Wed Oct 6 09:03:35 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 706

People are right to question him, Particularly when the club sit bottom of the table. This is a local community football club, if due diligence was done he would know exactly what is required to spend on the team.

One of the main issues which supporters have faced since the start is communication, he offers nothing and in the last year or so I cannot remember anything from him. Oh apart from a statement where he is "standing down".
Which basically meant, Let's erase any mention of me being chairman/ owner so it doesn't effect my bid to purchase a Bulgarian football team and invest 200 million dollars.

Is the legal fight with the Thames Club to line his own pockets or will the club benefit , I have heard of a hostile takeover, is there such thing as a planned winding down ?

By Arthur6/10/2021 09:32Wed Oct 6 09:32:45 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1015

The club are indeed bottom of the league. They have been before Joe and I am sure will be again post Joe. The fight with the Thames Club and the quasi investors who control the Thames club is to secure tenure for the club. The first break clause in the lease comes in the next few years. The Thames Club has never made an operating profit. Investors were advised in 2015 to put their money into a gymnasium that had always lost money. The turnover of the Thames Club at the time was circa £1.6million. The average gross return for a gym was circa 15%. There were losses of over £3million on the balance sheet so the likelihood of getting a dividend from the Thames Club for investment in the Thames Club was extremely unlikely. Investment therefore has to be recommended for some other reason - redevelopment for example. Joe has been fighting this since he bought into the club. Petty moves by our landlords such as changing the site of the club boardroom, cutting power supply to the shop, and the closure of the bat on match days added to the clubs problems. Joe has taken this all head on, from his own pocket, for the benefit of the club, both short term and long term. We have also had two major universal events impact us all, not just the club, at the same time. We are still facing a global pandemic. This has terminated the clubs fixtures on two occasions, once (last season) when nobody criticised the club's performances. We have also reaped the consequences of long term global warming. This has led to increased flooding in the area causing games to be postponed. Neither of these events could be foreseen in any due diligence. You could equally, using hindsight, ask why investors were advised to put money into the Thame3s Club now that any development for housing in the vicinity is impossible ...... but that is not a question for Staines Town FC to answer, save us getting our lease extended at a reasonable economic rent. They are the4 reasons Joe is looking at the Thames Club - spending money that could otherwise be invested in the team. That is why there is a boost the budget scheme where you and I can contribute. Are you contributing and can John Blair verify this?

By Wakes6/10/2021 10:00Wed Oct 6 10:00:59 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 889

But why are we hearing this from you Arthur? Has the club made you the official communicator? If all that you are saying is true then why can’t we hear all this from Joe himself? If he was genuine and had nothing to hide then there will be no issues with him making an official statement to supporters himself! He instead he chooses to remain silent therefore making him public enemy number one. WHY WHY WHY???!!!

By Arthur6/10/2021 10:29Wed Oct 6 10:29:05 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 769

I think Joe is actually in the USA. I haven't seen or heard of Joe since a friendly over a year ago. I am an accountant. Joe's video's gave you all the information. I looked at the accounts of the Thames Club, and still do (latest filing is the 2019 accounts - pre-pandemic results). Subsequent accounts will make interesting reading regarding going concern. Will it necessitate furtherr investment - by whom and why. Joe is not the Chairman, probably because of travelling difficulties. Many countries think the UK has got it all wrong, hence the Ashes tour is still in the balance. Communication comes from the Chairman and the supporters club. Joe does not have to account for his ongoing actions to me, you, or even the football club. I think he has demonstrated that his loyalties are to the club. Remember he even registered as a player and turned out for us to keep the club going and too fulfil its fixtures. I do believe there are people in the area, some on this forum, who would like to see the club fold and leave Wheatsheaf Park. I don't believe that includes Joe Dixon.

By Ian Chesterton6/10/2021 12:52Wed Oct 6 12:52:24 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 738

Arthur, FYI - The Thames Club's 2020 accounts have just been filed at Companies House if you want a nice afternoon read!

By Wakes6/10/2021 10:44Wed Oct 6 10:44:34 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 816

If it were me I’d issue a short statement just to avoid any misunderstandings but hey ho if he actually enjoys being public enemy no.1 then let him crack on. Have fun being hated Mr Dixon….

By Stainesloyal6/10/2021 11:06Wed Oct 6 11:06:35 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1027

That's what I don't understand, If he genuinely wanted the best for the club why wouldn't he be as transparent as possible to be liked.

By Arthur6/10/2021 11:22Wed Oct 6 11:22:02 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 713

I am a subscriber to the BBC History magazine ( one of three!!!). Hitler was all over the press all round Europe. His presence was felt and seen all over Germany, into Europe, even to the USA. He was well liked, popular and had plenty of support ...... Enough said

By Surreysage (Norm)6/10/2021 11:36Wed Oct 6 11:36:45 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 839

Arthur old boy, getting worried about you , hope you are not at those magic mushrooms again. Don't go down that route ,get some counselling, Seeing the state Katie Price is in
these days shoud be a warning to you.

Always here to help Arthur

Best wishes
Norm

Edited by Norm at 11:37:45 on 6th October 2021

By gregs5/10/2021 13:10Tue Oct 5 13:10:37 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 834

Still go back to the opinion is that they wanted to invest to use the land for something else other than the club. If he wanted to invest in the football club he would be. He has the money to offer millions to the Thames Club and to buy Levski Sofia (although that seems to be following a familiar pattern) but not to pay players? Asking the supporters to raise money for the budget is unbelievable. I genuinely fear for the club and this is maybe what his end game is as well? If there's no football at Wheatsheaf Lane then gives him more options. Think the sentiment of him doing the best for the club is long gone.

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)5/10/2021 15:42Tue Oct 5 15:42:59 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1094

I agree. Like I said, I think this is the final
Season for Staines. As much as that hurts to say, it really is the reality of this situation, which isn’t going to change. Zero investment, zero playing budget, zero revenue being made at all is just a recipe for disaster.

Again, I think this has been coming for some time. In the months leading up to Boon’s departure, we were losing people from the terrace's. I think this is when the direction of the club started to change, I’d suggest the Boon’s may have seen it coming - My opinion that though.

Unless someone comes in with the finance, the knowhow, the commitment to this football club, the fans and our community, I can’t see anything but this being our final season.

By Wakes5/10/2021 21:03Tue Oct 5 21:03:07 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 943

I wasn’t going to comment on this thread as I know I would end up saying something I would later regret, however here we are again with yet another manager out the door and another relegation staring us in the face. Whoever comes in next will be in exactly the same position as the previous manager with zero playing budget and having to assemble another squad from scratch and with possibly less experience and less contacts than Mick Woodham. Where do we go from here is the big question?
Other clubs with departing backers seem to find their feet to some degree but it wasn’t just our main backer who departed back in April of 2018, it was literally the entire board and everyone with it who knew how to run a football club at this level. The new owners literally fcuked off everyone at the club because they wanted to do it all their own way and thought they knew better. We were left with the bare bones and what with the situation with the Thames club’s owners it was a combination made in hell. The question you have to ask is why is the owner still clinging onto the club, I mean it’s not as if the clubs worth anything or that he’s gonna sell it on for a big fat profit? To someone who’s no longer interested it would be a burden round their neck or is it the classic case of spoilt kid who doesn’t want the club but doesn’t want any one else to have it either???

Edited by Wakes at 21:22:34 on 5th October 2021
Edited by Wakes at 21:23:16 on 5th October 2021

By Ian Chesterton6/10/2021 13:02Wed Oct 6 13:02:07 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 1021

Speaking of sacked managers (even though Mick resigned), I see that Guildford City FC sacked Paul Barnes yesterday.

By dlands7/10/2021 17:00Thu Oct 7 17:00:57 2021In response to Re: Manager Sacked ?Top of thread

Views: 664

Really, not followed his results since he left. Wonder if he would be up for coming back? :-) Mind you I suppose the reasons he left would still be there I guess (I Don't know what they were though?)

Previous thread: Game OFF - Staines v Basingstoke 28/09 by John Blair27/9/2021 14:59Mon Sep 27 14:59:04 2021view thread