Return to front page

Newest article: S&L(M)FC - Pre-season Friendlies for the 2024/25 C… by FlyingPiglet12/5 07:28Sun May 12 07:28:12 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Kevin Rowell resignation by John Blair30/5/2022 13:00Mon May 30 13:00:25 2022view thread

League allocations for next season

By Ian Chesterton12/5/2022 18:09Thu May 12 18:09:27 2022

Views: 1145

https://www.thefa.com/news/2022/may/12/national-league-system-nls-club-allocations-2022-23-season-20221205.

The FA have placed STFC at Step 5, Combined Counties Premier Division North.

Let's see how that pans out.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: League allocations for next season

By Arthur26/5/2022 19:50Thu May 26 19:50:48 2022In response to League allocations for next seasonTop of thread

Views: 749

I am not sure what this means in the light of the fact that we don't have a ground. The owner is trying to see club in which he has no interest. His investment in the club is the same as his chance of ever being a fit and proper person to own any other club. I guess we have to wait on the supporters club ......

By Trevor R26/5/2022 22:40Thu May 26 22:40:06 2022In response to Re: League allocations for next seasonTop of thread

Views: 657

I did see that the Combined Counties League are, or were, planning to give STFC as much time as possible to resolve the issues.

Whether that includes allowing for last minute ground sharing arrangements or not, only they and the STFC club officials can know at the moment.

I have no idea what any deadline date would be. And of course, if the club gets everything in place so the team can play, would it be possible to raise a team anyway?

Is the alternative to drop out of the current situation completely, regroup and restart as STFC 2022 at a lower level.

I don't know the "ins and outs" but I assume the Wheatsheaf Lane ground will sit unused if the owners aren't allowed to develop it in some way?
If it has to be used for football then could a phoenix club not negotiate with the landlord directly?

By Rebel Yeller27/5/2022 13:56Fri May 27 13:56:07 2022In response to Re: League allocations for next seasonTop of thread

Views: 658

Ground sharing deadline of 31 March is a national rule not a league rule, so it is likely that the CCL can do little here, unless extenuating circumstances can be shown.

Any Staines phoenix club has to start 2 levels below where the old club finished. So for Staines this would be Step 7, as CCL Premier is Step5.

Any Staines phoenix club first has to be formed, with chair, treasurer, etc.

Then it would have to find somewhere to play, as this will dictate what league you can apply for. If, for example, you had a groundshare at Egham or Staines Lammas then you could apply for Step 7 or 8. If all you could get was the pitches at Spelthorne Cricket club, then Step 9/10 is more likely your destination.

Then you need to apply to a league and get accepted. A Staines phoenix club could apply to either Middlesex or Surrey leagues. Although there is a Middlesex tradition in Staines, other Step 7/8/9/10 clubs in Spelthorne such as Staines Lammas, AFC Spelthorne, Laleham & Kempton and Shepperton Pumas all play in Surrey leagues.

Once that was all done, then I guess you can make some announcements. New league constitutions are finalised in June so I wouldn't expect anything yet. By then the picture at the main club may be a little clearer.

By Trevor R28/5/2022 14:03Sat May 28 14:03:00 2022In response to Re: League allocations for next seasonTop of thread

Views: 661

As mentioned, perhaps stepping back for a season and the creation of a new club at a lower level MIGHT, repeat MIGHT, be the best way forward?

Edited by Trevor R at 14:03:29 on 28th May 2022

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)29/5/2022 18:04Sun May 29 18:04:51 2022In response to Re: League allocations for next seasonTop of thread

Views: 580

I agree with much of what has already been said. It’s all if’s, but’s and maybe’s at the moment. I do believe that stepping back for one season to clear a lot the issues we have up, would be sensible. I’m not even entirely sure we would be able to field a squad and that’s before we even ask the questions around where the team would play. It’s not fair on our competitors, the league or (more importantly) us the fans. Would much rather we took time out to ‘fix’ much of what has and is going on both on and off the field.

By Trevor R29/5/2022 19:28Sun May 29 19:28:44 2022In response to Re: League allocations for next seasonTop of thread

Views: 593

I think the club has been lucky with players and management who have either been paid very little or nothing for much of the season.

It's a credit to those who turned up for the final few games after the ground issues. It would have so very easy for them to have turned their backs on the club, and not see out the campaign.

However, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to raise a squad without some sort of sensible budget. Especially as at the moment players aren't going to sign for a club that doesn't yet know at what level they will be playing at.

I moved away from Staines over 20 years ago - now living in Lincolnshire. There are a couple of clubs in the area that don't pay players a penny, not even travel expenses. When I asked the club officers about this they said that either players want to play football or they don't; if they need to be paid to play, the club doesn't want them.

However, in general, players expect some form of payment; at the very least expenses. And there is always going to be another club that will offer another £5 a game to tempt players to join them.

Edited by Trevor R at 19:29:13 on 29th May 2022
Edited by Trevor R at 19:32:22 on 29th May 2022
Edited by Trevor R at 19:32:46 on 29th May 2022

Previous thread: Joe by Arthur18/5/2022 22:43Wed May 18 22:43:58 2022view thread