Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Those were the days ...... by ArthurToday 08:09Today at 08:09:15view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Staines & Lammas (Middlesex) FC Annual General Meeting Tomorrow Night by FlyingPiglet27/6/2023 08:18Tue Jun 27 08:18:30 2023view thread

How sad

By Arthur9/6/2023 21:45Fri Jun 9 21:45:35 2023

Views: 1208

.............my last thread was "one team in Staines" - now there are none.

First time I met my wife she was wearing a green jumper and gloves.

I thought "Yep, she's a keeper "

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   

Re: How sad

By Surreysage (Norm)13/6/2023 11:03Tue Jun 13 11:03:52 2023In response to How sadTop of thread

Views: 1102

Totally understand that to make progress we may have to take a few steps sideways .

Sadly the shadow of Dixon will hang over us for a long time.

He fooled a lot of people during those years and the stain of his ownership will not be erased as quickly as we would all like.

Edited by Norm at 11:04:27 on 13th June 2023

By Arthur14/6/2023 10:46Wed Jun 14 10:46:01 2023In response to Re: How sadTop of thread

Views: 1062

I will agree that Joe Dixon was bad for the club. The promises he made crumbled to dust. His investments were ill advised. Before anyone says what investment - just remember his first appointee as manage (30k salary, company car etc) had no knowledge of managing any team, let alone a team at our (then) level. However, Joe is NOT the only one responsible for our demise. The history books show that Staines Town football Club owned the freehold of Wheatsheaf park.

I am sad because we were promised one team in Staines. There will be none. If you had an interest in football, or your children had an interest, and you live in Staines, where would you go for your football? would you choose to go to Addlestone Moor to watch Surrey Premier League football because a team there has Staines in its name. You could go the Spelthorne Sports for Combined Counties .... or if you want to travel a few miles, would you go to Walton, Hampton, Bedfont, Hanworth, Ogham etc? I can only see the team folding as the existing fan base ages.

Lets not leave in a complete gloom:

A Yorkshireman's dog dies and as it was a favourite pet he decides to have a gold statue made by a jeweller to remember the dog by.

Yorkshireman: "Can tha mek us a gold statue of yon dog?"

Jeweller: "Do you want it 18 carat?"

Yorkshireman: "No I want it chewin' a bone, yer daft bugger!"

By John Blair14/6/2023 13:43Wed Jun 14 13:43:22 2023In response to Re: How sadTop of thread

Views: 1107

Christian Colas - Joe Dixons first manager - who having only managed at Step 6 was put in charge of a Step 3 club.
He had no contacts and little experience.
He was never on a wage of £30k with company car.
That was a figment of the owners imagination.

Joe's total budget for that season was said to be £40k which never materialised, as he had no money to invest in the club.That proved to be the case very quickly.

But the past is the past. Nobody can change what happened at STFC.

What needs to be concentrated on is the current position at Staines & Lammas (Middlesex)FC.
A step 7 club that wants to progress into Step 6 (and possibly higher). A club that has strengthened itself on and off the pitch over the last 12 months.
A club that to achieve this desired promotion needs a ground with floodlights and seating.
There is not a ground available in Staines, at the moment, with these facilities.

Edited by John Blair at 13:46:05 on 14th June 2023
Edited by John Blair at 14:31:42 on 14th June 2023

Previous thread: Last game of the season- May 13th. by John Blair12/5/2023 19:44Fri May 12 19:44:02 2023view thread