Return to front page

Newest article: S&L(M)FC - Pre-season Friendlies for the 2024/25 C… by FlyingPiglet12/5 07:28Sun May 12 07:28:12 2024view thread

Oldest article: ''ships in the night '' by Andrew6726/2/2014 10:25Wed Feb 26 10:25:34 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: STFC Announcement soon? by V W Swan5/11/2020 13:33Thu Nov 5 13:33:35 2020view thread

Paul Barnes

By Dave_LW5/1/2021 12:15Tue Jan 5 12:15:01 2021

Views: 1049

Massive shame to lose him after he did such a good job stabilising the club and bringing a feel good atmosphere.

Was surprised though to see today he has taken over as Manager of Guildford City in the Combined Counties League.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Paul Barnes

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)5/1/2021 19:33Tue Jan 5 19:33:47 2021In response to Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 930

Totally agree?? Guildford City?? Does anyone know what actually happened behind the scenes for us to Lose Barnesey?? Something clearly has gone on...

By Surreysage (Norm)5/1/2021 14:38Tue Jan 5 14:38:58 2021In response to Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 983

Totally agree -a great loss. Built a nice squad -not easyto do with minnimal playing budget

Why has he moved -resources ? potential? facilities?

By Surreysage (Norm)8/1/2021 11:18Fri Jan 8 11:18:28 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 900

I am so surprised that there have been so few comments/thoughts about the sudden departure of Paul.The best manager we have had since the club came under the new owners .The only other half decent one was Mahrez Bettache ,who for some unknown, reason was dumped by the club.

After 8 league games we are second in the table ,tidy squad of players who are improving all the time .A good rapport between manager+players and the supporters .Re- reading Paul's messages he paid tribute to the welcome and hard work of supporters and how much it is appreciated by him and the players.

To have such a good manager in place and with excellent contacts in the game I would have expected the club to have moved heaven and earth to retain his services -the supporters are owed a full and honest explaination for his sudden move to a club lower down the pyramid. A number of reasons come to mind !!!!!!!.

In my view this is a pivotal moment for the club just as vital as the ongoing "freehold issue "", As we have experienced there are plenty of poor "would be managers " out there .We know only too well what happens then.

It is more important than ever that a manager with a proven track record is recruited who will stay longer than a few months .

Guess we must expect to loose many of the current players who will now move on.

Would love to hear your thoughts -

Edited by Norm at 11:21:03 on 8th January 2021
Edited by Norm at 11:22:27 on 8th January 2021

By gregs8/1/2021 15:47Fri Jan 8 15:47:48 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 895

Looks like he's taken most of the staff with him from Staines as well?
https://guildfordcityfc.co.uk/2021/01/08/barnes-names-his-management-and-coaching-team/

By John Blair8/1/2021 16:55Fri Jan 8 16:55:10 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 830

When a manager moves he almost always takes his management staff with him.
Not a new scenario - happened with Drax.

By Surreysage (Norm)8/1/2021 17:40Fri Jan 8 17:40:04 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 794

Hi John thanks for your input- yes fully understand that the coaching team as a unit move on.

My point is really what are Guidford offering Paul and his team that we were not offering at STFC. What do we need to do different at our club so that good managers do not wish to move on so quickly.If we dont't learn and change then we will be stuck in a rut- always looking to recruit new managers and players.
So important for us to learn by our mistakes .

By Arthur9/1/2021 10:44Sat Jan 9 10:44:29 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 809

Probably the only person who can answer this realistically is Paul Barnes himself. The answer probably includes the other ongoing thread in that the current league, where the manager has taken us to joint top, is likely to be abandoned. Last season that decision did us a favour, this season not so. Paul then has to look to the future. He has a squad of players and backroom staff as most decent managers at this level do. He has to ask himself about "prospects." Guildford is a sleeping giantt in footballing terms - nearest competition in unprofessional clubs is to go to London, or south to Portsmouth and Southampton. Therefore if he can get a winning side and arouse the locals, then the club could go places. Here in Staines we should be trying the same, but the nearby competition is closer - Brentford, Fulham and Chelsea. Bothe clubs were funding Paul and his entourage. However, we are still trying to secure the long term future of the club by buying the freehold to our ground. That may have made Guildford a more secure future in Paul's eyes.. We were funding Paul's squad and adding players such as Che. It should be noted that although Che has many qualities, I am not sure he could fit properly into Paul's wing back system. All we need to do is to trust that we have learned our lessons from the selection of previous managers. I believe this to be the case for Paul Barnes was introduced to the club by the current Chairman. We need to secure the freehold of the ground to make the club's future more attractive. And we still need to get behind the team and complete backroom staff, and club officials. CoYS.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Surreysage (Norm)9/1/2021 11:55Sat Jan 9 11:55:59 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 835

Thanks Arthur for your views-all good stuff.

My only thought - if the club does not know why Paul is moving then how do we make sure that same issue does not prompt the next good manager to move on quickly.

On a personla note professional football doe not interest me I only follow NL clubs-proximity to prof clubs is

By Yellow Swan (pp7822)10/1/2021 10:40Sun Jan 10 10:40:24 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 783

Norm, I agree, I’ll cut to the chase and say what most other are thinking, has he left due to ‘behind the scenes’ issues which will not be made public? If this is the case, it’s a real worry as how are we ever going to move forward. How many managers, 2nd from top move DOWN the pyramid mid season? Although, Arthur makes some good suggestions, perhaps the club can see the season being abandoned. In which case I would have liked to have thought the club would have down all they can to prevent Paul leaving and we go again in the summer. It’s been said before with all the rumblings at the club that transparency and comms is an issue at Staines. Why are we, the fans, always left second guessing what on earth is going on?. What next? We find out that we didn’t get the freehold and we will be playing in Commercial Park using goal posts with our jackets???? Tongue in cheek, yes, but no one knows with Staines as the comms just isn’t there..... thoughts?

Edited by pp7822 at 10:42:48 on 10th January 2021

By Arthur10/1/2021 17:54Sun Jan 10 17:54:44 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 759

I think the communications from the club are sufficient for all supporters. The Supporters club communications are there regularly from the supporters club; there was a Q&A from the Chairman during lockdown; and if you are really desperate you can contact the club secretary. However, if you are not a regular supporter and trying to stir up trouble ........ perhaps you really need to find out whether the Thames club is a going concern - and what their reaction is to an offer for the freehold property at a commercial value is and what impact that has on their business. More importantly, why have4n't they asked their shareholders what their views are on the offer they have received. The Chairman has made his promises to the club and its supporters, have Downings lived up the the promises made to their investors who were told to put money into the Thames Club. Is it fantastic dividends and a great increase in their investment from the4 "rescue " in 2015? I know who I would trust. COYS

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Anonymous (alibrown400111)10/1/2021 21:23Sun Jan 10 21:23:45 2021In response to Re: Paul BarnesTop of thread

Views: 776

COYS all the way we all want the football club to get the freehold keep positive come on the swans COYS

Previous thread: 20/21 Season by Surreysage24/12/2020 12:18Thu Dec 24 12:18:25 2020view thread