Re: Midweek Madness
My response in composition while Mr Watts jumped in:
There are multitude of issues here.
We have been given less than four weeks’ notice of this fixture. All our players and coaching staff are either employed or are self-employed and getting time off work is just not that easy for everyone particularly for those who have only very recently returned from a summer holiday.
There are strong doubts as to whether any of our manager, assistant manager and first team coach can get time off work to travel over to the Channel Islands AT SUCH SHORT NOTICE.
This is very likely to be true of our players as well. So the FA and the Ryman League are effecting a position where we have to limp out to Guernsey with any number of key players missing. Even if we had just one first choice player unable to travel it would set us at a disadvantage. By anyone’s standards this system is not fair and is unsporting.
The chairmen of Combined Counties League were afforded the luxury of voting as to whether Guernsey should be accepted into their league. The favourable vote impacted on the entire National Football System - so basically Leagues higher up the ladder were give no option by the FA but to accept them. When playing in the CCL there was very little question of teams having to travel over to Guernsey midweek and the sponsorship afforded to Guernsey meant that all the playing staff and officials were flown out and given a night’s accommodation free of charge. I wouldn’t call these inducements as such but without those terms there is absolutely no question there would not have been a vote in GFC’s favour.
These terms are now being whittled away. Ryman teams who travel over on a Saturday now have to fork out or their own accommodation and when we played GFC in the Vase they were very open about the fact that they wanted to get into a position where they were absolved of responsibility for financing their visiting club’s travel expenses.
I have no problem with them competing in our league (a league, remember, we were members of from 1984 to 2012) but insisting we send a weakened team out to Guernsey on a Wednesday night in August is just unfair and against the spirit of the sport.
Long established forum contributor | NL24 Grump of the month - August 2010 | Cougar Magnet | @WhyteleafeFC | @SportingLeafe
The views expressed are personal and do not represent the official opinion of Whyteleafe Football Club
Next article in this thread: Midweek Madness by lionelturner18/7/2014 12:04Fri Jul 18 12:04:28 2014
- Fixtures! by Lee Farmie17/7/2014 09:26Thu Jul 17 09:26:52 2014view thread
- Midweek Madness by Pat Butcher Fan Club17/7/2014 18:35Thu Jul 17 18:35:02 2014
- Midweek Madness by lionelturner18/7/2014 11:19Fri Jul 18 11:19:04 2014
- Re: Midweek Madness by Pink Panther18/7/2014 11:41Fri Jul 18 11:41:54 2014
- Re: Midweek Madness by Lee Farmie18/7/2014 11:44Fri Jul 18 11:44:44 2014
- Midweek Madness by lionelturner18/7/2014 12:04Fri Jul 18 12:04:28 2014
- Midweek Madness by lionelturner18/7/2014 12:19Fri Jul 18 12:19:16 2014
- Re: Midweek Madness by Paulo19/7/2014 00:47Sat Jul 19 00:47:00 2014
- Re: Midweek Madness by Lee Farmie18/7/2014 12:44Fri Jul 18 12:44:47 2014
- Re: Midweek Madness by Graham S18/7/2014 13:44Fri Jul 18 13:44:35 2014
- Re: Midweek Madness by Lee Farmie18/7/2014 14:31Fri Jul 18 14:31:28 2014
- Guernsey away by Rootin' Tootin'18/7/2014 12:51Fri Jul 18 12:51:47 2014
- Guernsey by Hornet18/7/2014 14:41Fri Jul 18 14:41:10 2014
- Re: Guernsey by Lee Farmie18/7/2014 15:36Fri Jul 18 15:36:48 2014
- Re: Guernsey by Brian19/7/2014 11:53Sat Jul 19 11:53:22 2014
- Re: Guernsey by Paulo24/7/2014 10:24Thu Jul 24 10:24:03 2014
- Re: Guernsey by Lee Farmie24/7/2014 11:10Thu Jul 24 11:10:41 2014
- Re: Guernsey by Paulo25/7/2014 21:38Fri Jul 25 21:38:44 2014
- Re: Guernsey by Leafey Lion24/7/2014 12:02Thu Jul 24 12:02:06 2014
- Re: Guernsey by Lee Farmie24/7/2014 12:14Thu Jul 24 12:14:40 2014
- Re: Guernsey by Brian25/7/2014 18:28Fri Jul 25 18:28:25 2014