THE WHYTELEAFE FC SUPPORTERS' DISCUSSION FORUM

WHYTELEAFE FC HOMEPAGE | WHYTELEAFE FC FACEBOOK PAGE | WHYTELEAFE FC TWITTER

NOTE: All postings from persons calling themselves "Anonymous", "anon" or similar will be deleted

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: What is software testing and Scope of Software… by David_AdamsYesterday 20:37Yesterday at 20:37:27view thread

Oldest article: No subject by Clive30/7/2014 22:06Wed Jul 30 22:06:45 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 3G Question by Pat Butcher Fan Club30/12/2014 10:30Tue Dec 30 10:30:53 2014view thread

Re: Yesterday

By Pink Panther (legacy user)29/12/2014 12:44Mon Dec 29 12:44:43 2014In response to Re: Yesterday

Views: 1777

I took in this game along with Linesman Ian, with Dulwich Hamlet's game at Enfield Town washed out. Tooting reminded me of the embryonic version of the current Hamlet side from four seasons ago, when we snatched the final play off place with a record low number of points after still being in the bottom half of the table at the start of April: a "good footballing side" who can dominate the middle third, but on Saturday's evidence can be too easily frustrated by a determined and well organised defence, while also being vulnerable to brisk counter-attacks. They have a good core of experienced players and ought to be a bit better than they showed in this game.

As already mentioned, looking at the table the top four seem to be well set barring spectacular loss of form, with any number of other sides including Leafe & Tooting in with a shout of fifth place. One Tooting-supporting friend of mine was grumbling that "you can't get promoted from this division playing like this", which was my own feeling four years ago, but Hamlet ultimately proved that you can, if you have the right manager and are patient enough to give him enough time.

The finishing expertise of Roscoe D'Sane ultimately made the difference, coolly working his way into a prime shooting position and picking his spot with accuracy each time. The first goal summed up Tooting's afternoon; a sustained spell of pressure yielded no clear scoring chance, eventually someone took a hopeful pot-shot from just outside the box that was easily held by Ceesay in goal, and a few seconds later they were having their trousers pulled down at the other end. Their centre forward Danny Summers initially looked impressive, but he isn't he quickest and became isolated without sufficient support once his team fell behind. As Ian says, it might have been more interesting had Frankie Sawyer (T&M no.10) been deployed down the middle instead of marginalised on the left flank, as he's a really sharp penalty box predator.

It was good to see a decent crowd at Church Road with Leafe near the right end of the D1S table - pleasing contrast the the dwindling crowds and declining results of a few seasons back when you were regular league opponents of the Hamlet.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Previous thread: Walton Casuals v Leafe by Clive19/12/2014 20:12Fri Dec 19 20:12:33 2014view thread

Follow us on Twitter @WhyteleafeFC. Visit the Twitter page for the full picture.