Off topic - Wallington Public Hall
Someone (Tim B.?) mentioned he other day that Wallington Public Hall is being sold off by Sutton Council and is likely thus to be demolished for "luxury apartments" aka micro-hovels. I've only ever been there for beer festivals and a party when I was a teenager in the early 80s. However it was previously a rock venue and the list of people who played there is truly amazing:
Gene Vincent played there three times in 1962.
1964 saw Herman's Hermits and the Zombies play there.
8 June 1965 saw the Who perform.
1971 saw Status Quo, Uriah Heap and Hawkwind
~ Argent (the venue presumably having made in impression on Zombies keyboard player Rod Argent);
~ Status Quo (again);
~ David Bowie (it was the seventh night of the Ziggy Stardust tour) and
~ the Electric Light Orchestra (their 13th ever gig).
Other acts purportedly to have played their include the Searchers, Freddie & the Dreamers, the Hollies and Screaming Jay Hawkins.
However the highlight of the venue's history came on 12 April 1978 with the visit of Gong. Have a cup of tea, have another one. Pot head Pixies, Fohat Digs Holes in Space. If only I had a time machine.
And they want to sell it for flats.
Long established forum contributor | NL24 Grump of the month - August 2010 | Cougar Magnet | @WhyteleafeFC | @SportingLeafe
high quality legitimate banter since 1973
Next article in this thread: Re: Off topic - Wallington Public Hall by Adelena30/10/2021 10:40Sat Oct 30 10:40:52 2021
- Off topic - Wallington Public Hall by Lee Farmie10/2/2015 17:20Tue Feb 10 17:20:49 2015view thread
- Re: Off topic - Wallington Public Hall by Adelena30/10/2021 10:40Sat Oct 30 10:40:52 2021
- Re: Off topic - Wallington Public Hall by Clive10/2/2015 18:35Tue Feb 10 18:35:28 2015
- Re: Off topic - Wallington Public Hall by TimB10/2/2015 22:15Tue Feb 10 22:15:55 2015
- Re: Off topic - Wallington Public Hall by thisiskatewinslet2/11/2021 12:42Tue Nov 2 12:42:50 2021
- Re: Off topic - Wallington Public Hall by williamflomo3/11/2021 20:08Wed Nov 3 20:08:49 2021