THE WHYTELEAFE FC SUPPORTERS' DISCUSSION FORUM

WHYTELEAFE FC HOMEPAGE | WHYTELEAFE FC FACEBOOK PAGE | WHYTELEAFE FC TWITTER

NOTE: All postings from persons calling themselves "Anonymous", "anon" or similar will be deleted

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: printer support number by Ashley_BigleyToday 19:48Today at 19:48:35view thread

Oldest article: AGM by Mrs K11/8/2014 14:02Mon Aug 11 14:02:08 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Guernsey's midweek team drew at Carshalton by Brian3/12/2014 15:27Wed Dec 3 15:27:28 2014view thread

Leafe 1 Guernsey 0

By Pat Butcher Fan Club (legacy user)29/11/2014 17:33Sat Nov 29 17:33:00 2014

Views: 2443

A stunning strike from 20 yards by super-sub Shawn Lyle gave Leafe the 3 points and put our home hoodoo to rest.

A worthy ending to a very close and entertaining game in front of an impressive and vocal crowd.

Happy days.

PBFC

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Leafe 1 Guernsey 0

By Leafe van Cleef (legacy user)29/11/2014 20:43Sat Nov 29 20:43:44 2014In response to Leafe 1 Guernsey 0Top of thread

Views: 2257

A strange game really. Plenty of chances at both ends but nobody seemed to want to score until that wonder strike from Shawn. Roscoe could have had another hat-trick but he just seemed a bit off in his finishing today. Thought Guernsey were well organised in defence but pretty toothless in front of goal. They created some good opportunites, mainly on the break, but the shot always seemed to go straight at Ceesay, who had another assured game in goal. Thought JT was immense today, definitely my MOM, closely followed by Dylan who barely put a foot wrong all afternoon and seemed to win everything in the air.

So, a big 3 points to keep us in 5th place and set us up nicely for the next 4 games against 4th, 6th, 8th and 3rd (as they stand now). Blimey, who ever thought the run up to Christmas could be so exciting!

By Clive (legacy user)29/11/2014 20:55Sat Nov 29 20:55:36 2014In response to Re: Leafe 1 Guernsey 0Top of thread

Views: 2411

Agree with all that LVC.

Thought Jensen was fantastic as usual and Bentley was always dangerous.

I shouted ' oh shawn' when he seemed to miss control the ball before unleashing one of the most venomous strikes I can recall. He won't hit a better belter in his career.

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)30/11/2014 11:08Sun Nov 30 11:08:30 2014In response to Re: Leafe 1 Guernsey 0Top of thread

Views: 2168

Terrific match, played in the right spirit which could have gone either way.

There are five or six Guernsey players who played yesterday who missed their midweek away matches at Merstham and/or Hythe, so it's fair to say we played a harder 'weekend' Guernsey than the easier 'midweek' Guernsey. The players who missed Merstham (M) and Hythe (H) but started against us were the following:

Chris Tardif (M+H)
Sam Cochrane (M+H)
Kieran Mahon (H)
Matt Loaring (H)
David Rihoy (M+H)
Ryan-Zico Black (M)

Whilst this puts them at a disadvantage for midweek away matches it logically therefore puts Merstham and Hythe at an unfair advantage. And let's not forget that Three Bridges suffered more than anyone in their midweek trip away to Guernsey.

It does make a bit of a mockery of the competition to be honest and it would be interesting to see whether the FA took consideration of this when they admitted them into the football system.

Had we lost yesterday this would obviously sound like a whinge or sour grapes. But we won the match fair and square and we went home happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Long established forum contributor | NL24 Grump of the month - August 2010 | Cougar Magnet | @WhyteleafeFC | @SportingLeafe
high quality legitimate banter since 1973

By Clive (legacy user)30/11/2014 11:47Sun Nov 30 11:47:49 2014In response to Re: Leafe 1 Guernsey 0Top of thread

Views: 2179

They play Carshalton away on Tuesday so will be interesting to compare their side to what played yesterday.

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)30/11/2014 11:52Sun Nov 30 11:52:37 2014In response to Re: Leafe 1 Guernsey 0Top of thread

Views: 2291

Interesting. I might pop down for that one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Long established forum contributor | NL24 Grump of the month - August 2010 | Cougar Magnet | @WhyteleafeFC | @SportingLeafe

By Paulo (legacy user)30/11/2014 12:19Sun Nov 30 12:19:41 2014In response to Re: Leafe 1 Guernsey 0Top of thread

Views: 2163

Yes I can't see Mr Tardiff letting in 14 goals in two away games. A quality keeper played a blinder for them on the island back in August.

If anybody is interested go onto footballwebpages.com and click onto Ryman South and the click onto prediction table. Makes interesting reading.

A solid performance and we need more like that at home if we want to be in the mix come end of April. Fingers crossed that we don't sustain any long term injuries with quite a thin squad. I think Burgess Hill are on fire at the moment however with their cup runs they are starting to fall behind with their fixtures and we all know what pressure that can bring playing Tuesday and Saturdays throughout the winter months.

A tough December for us but 2 or 3 wins will still keep us in touch and avoid relegation!

all true....

By bruce leafe (legacy user)30/11/2014 20:23Sun Nov 30 20:23:47 2014In response to Re: Leafe 1 Guernsey 0Top of thread

Views: 2094

the match was indeed a nail biter and was always going to be settled by a touch of greatness or an absolute howler. Fortunately Shawn came up with a great strike.
Interesting to see the chairman of the league deep in conversation with the Guernsey lot after. May be he was asking them to start playing the game as a league should be and stop making a mockery of the whole thing, but i doubt it. Prob asking how he can get Jersey fast tracked into the Rymans outfit so he can creep up there as well.
As an aside, i actually thought the ref was brilliant yesterday. No i'm not drunk. I think it was the best ref display by some miles i have seen for a few years at this level and with him been quite young, i don't it will be long before he gats more high profile games.
Now lets hope we have got the Autumn blues out of our system and play some great footy to go on a great run. Teams tend to go on runs in this league and the timing is all important. Fully expect Burglars Hill and Merstham to drop in form and others to pick up. Think this is going to be a sqeaky bum year!!

Re: all true....

By Clive (legacy user)30/11/2014 21:26Sun Nov 30 21:26:16 2014In response to all true....Top of thread

Views: 2103

Squeaky bum times reminds me of relegation but I'm sure you don't mean that !

December is going to be vital that we keep in touch with those above and we play a few teams around us.

As long as we keep a good shape as a team then we have already shown that we can mix with the best in this league. 2 central mids and 2 giving width seems to give us a good base.

Maybe we will need to add a few new faces at some stage as many other teams are seemingly strengthening.

But great start so far. Management and players should be proud.

But no letting up boys!!!

Ormering

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)2/12/2014 14:10Tue Dec 2 14:10:37 2014In response to Re: all true....Top of thread

Views: 2061

Here's an account of the day from Ormering.com (a Guernsey fans' website). We particularly enjoyed the comments about the catering and will stick a copy in the snack bar...

Looks like they missed out on the 6.5% Abbot Reserve after the match.

Previous thread: After the game tomorrow.... by TimB28/11/2014 09:03Fri Nov 28 09:03:25 2014view thread

Follow us on Twitter @WhyteleafeFC. Visit the Twitter page for the full picture.