THE WHYTELEAFE FC SUPPORTERS' DISCUSSION FORUM

WHYTELEAFE FC HOMEPAGE | WHYTELEAFE FC FACEBOOK PAGE | WHYTELEAFE FC TWITTER

NOTE: All postings from persons calling themselves "Anonymous", "anon" or similar will be deleted

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Which is the best TV to watch Football? by alanamarkToday 01:48Today at 01:48:29view thread

Oldest article: Football Web Pages App by Clive20/8/2014 20:19Wed Aug 20 20:19:55 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Ryan Gondoh by Beee1/7/2015 23:59Wed Jul 1 23:59:07 2015view thread

Billericay 4 Leafe 3

By Al (legacy user)16/2/2015 21:45Mon Feb 16 21:45:41 2015

Views: 2514

Followed on the Ryman league web and to go down 4 in 28 minutes it must have been a monumental effort on what appeared more like water polo at the start, and hippo mud bath at the end, but we did not give up, well dne to all

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Billericay 4 Leafe 3

By Paulo (legacy user)16/2/2015 23:16Mon Feb 16 23:16:15 2015In response to Billericay 4 Leafe 3Top of thread

Views: 2238

I think everyone agreed that the game should never have started. Regardless I am just happy that no player was badly injured otherwise the ref would quite rightly have face a law suit.

It was a farce to be honest but credit to both teams for making it an exciting game The pitch looked like a complete mud bath at the end. How on earth the groundsman gets the pitch back together again god only knows.

Well done to the Leafe faithful that made the trip AND stayed till the end!

Billericay4 Whyteleafe3

By Hopper (legacy user)17/2/2015 09:32Tue Feb 17 09:32:40 2015In response to Re: Billericay 4 Leafe 3Top of thread

Views: 2220

Actually not everyone agreed that game should not have started. Those of us over the age of 40 remember when games were routinely played on pitches like this (& far worse). Apart from two challenges which could have caused injury on any surface (both as it happens from visiting players) there were no incidents which looked likely to cause injury and the game to a neutral like myself (and several others) was a cracker.
As an aside the Ref would not have faced a law suite had a player been injured, this is an urban myth which has resulted from an incident in a Rugby match were the ref failed to apply the laws of the game and had nothing to do with the condition of the playing surface.
Overall I suspect that opinions on if the game should have been played may be influenced more by the result and how important it was to the individual than by the application of logic.

Hopper dont be so ignorant

By bruce leafe (legacy user)17/2/2015 15:10Tue Feb 17 15:10:47 2015In response to Billericay4 Whyteleafe3Top of thread

Views: 2143

The referee is solely in charge of player safety and CAN be held negligent. We may have played on pitches like that 40 years ago, but times change , esp in this age of litigation ( suing that means).

Look at the FA guidelines for pitch inspections and player safety and tell me i'm wrong. Numpty.

Re: Hopper dont be so ignorant

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 15:29Tue Feb 17 15:29:06 2015In response to Hopper dont be so ignorantTop of thread

Views: 2118

Can you share with us the link for these guidelines?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Long established forum contributor | NL24 Grump of the month - August 2010 | Cougar Magnet | @WhyteleafeFC | @SportingLeafe
high quality legitimate banter since 1973

there plain as day.

By bruce leafe (legacy user)17/2/2015 20:05Tue Feb 17 20:05:33 2015In response to Re: Hopper dont be so ignorantTop of thread

Views: 2115

http://www.isthmian.co.uk/articles.php?id=634&page=17

Re: there plain as day.

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 21:35Tue Feb 17 21:35:07 2015In response to there plain as day.Top of thread

Views: 2034

I meant the FA guidelines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Long established forum contributor | NL24 Grump of the month - August 2010 | Cougar Magnet | @WhyteleafeFC | @SportingLeafe

Re: Billericay4 Whyteleafe3

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 09:39Tue Feb 17 09:39:19 2015In response to Billericay4 Whyteleafe3Top of thread

Views: 2283

I would have to agree with you although, the conditions did make for farcical and at times comical "football".

In my opinion it would have been better for all concerned it the match had been deferred to Wednesday or Thursday evening by which time the pitch would have dried out significantly (if the forecasts are to be believed); there would have been more real football played ~ rather people flailing around in the mud ~ and Billericay's pitch would not have been completely and unutterably destroyed.

It was entertaining but not necessarily for the right reasons.

By Pat Butcher Fan Club (legacy user)16/2/2015 23:50Mon Feb 16 23:50:35 2015In response to Re: Billericay 4 Leafe 3Top of thread

Views: 2250

Paulo is alluding to my good self who decided to walk out after their 3rd goal went in on 20 minutes.

I felt we were being humiliated and deserved a lot better having reached the QF on merit. What on earth was the Ref thinking of even starting the game on what resembled a village pond?

Admittedly I missed a magnificent come-back, and full credit to our players, but I have no regrets. It was a matter of principle and I'm happy to have made it, not that it changed anything other than my evening.

I hope everyone got home safely? Conditions on the M25 were quite atrocious, a fitting end to a complete farce of an evening.

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 09:34Tue Feb 17 09:34:32 2015In response to Re: Billericay 4 Leafe 3Top of thread

Views: 2203

Unfortunately making a point like that tends to make one look a bit of dick rather than somehow principled.

I would also say we really don’t do ourselves any favours by barking at the referee about the pitch as he walks off at half time especially when we’re 4-1 down. That just makes us all look like bad losers, very rude and frankly a bit oikish.

Whether we agree with it or not, the referee had made his decision to play the match. We should just get on with it. JUST AS OUR PLAYERS DID.

So, hats off to our players who got stuck in and did the club proud in, yes, very difficult conditions.

Shame

By Pat Butcher Fan Club (legacy user)17/2/2015 09:52Tue Feb 17 09:52:17 2015In response to Re: Billericay 4 Leafe 3Top of thread

Views: 2138

I just thought starting it was an affront to the game of football to be honest and voted with my feet accordingly.

We had earned the right to play a club from the division above us, two divisions just a year ago, and deserved an opportunity to play the type of football that has already got us to a play-off position to potentially step up and join them.

I'm over it so move on.

PBFC

who ever....

By bruce leafe (legacy user)16/2/2015 23:49Mon Feb 16 23:49:17 2015In response to Re: Billericay 4 Leafe 3Top of thread

Views: 2246

left early missed a cracker......farsical but a cracker. Great team spirit from the guys in the mud and some good singing from the faithful.
Excellent banter with oppo keeper, then a really nice chat in the bar with his dad.

Not sure what the refs are thinking with these pitch inspections. They may as well not bother and just get on with it every week, then we all know where we stand. Lots of Ricay fans after saying they couldnt understand it, as they have games called off with the pitch nowhere near as wet as that.

Bet Redhill wont be playing tomorrow!!!

Re: who ever....

By Toby Lerone (legacy user)17/2/2015 06:48Tue Feb 17 06:48:42 2015In response to who ever....Top of thread

Views: 2226

Farce yes, but a very entertaining evening on and off the field. The players can hold their heads up high after fighting to the bitter end. As a piece of form it's pretty meaningless due to the conditions, but that was Billericay's 21st home game this season and only the 2nd time they've leaked three, so we can take pride at being the better side for an hour. Fair play to the home fans too, who acknowledged at the end how well we played. Nice club, cracking bar. Good luck to them.

Washing machine end

By My tealeaf (legacy user)17/2/2015 09:54Tue Feb 17 09:54:35 2015In response to Re: who ever....Top of thread

Views: 2162

I bet the washing machine is earning its sudden fame today, wouldn't want to be a boot boy, glad I'm just a stretcher bearer.....

Seems I missed a cracker though I was nice and warm (and full of Ocean Pearl's finest) in my hotel room watching Man utd. and following the What'sap and Football web pages.

I think I won.....

Re: Washing machine end

By Toby Lerone (legacy user)17/2/2015 15:51Tue Feb 17 15:51:55 2015In response to Washing machine endTop of thread

Views: 2082

You really did not win!

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 10:13Tue Feb 17 10:13:38 2015In response to Washing machine endTop of thread

Views: 2163

You watched Man Utd in a hotel room on your own and you won??

TBH last night was terrific fun and memorable night I think most of us really enjoyed a night of great laughs. Just pity Ryan who now has to wash the kit.

By roju26/7/2020 06:54Sun Jul 26 06:54:46 2020In response to Re: Washing machine endTop of thread

Views: 252

As we need a washing machine is important for every home the same way we need we need a camping sink for camping
you can find the best camping sink from visitpick.com

kit wash

By AL (legacy user)17/2/2015 10:25Tue Feb 17 10:25:03 2015In response to Re: Washing machine endTop of thread

Views: 2085

hope it was the away kit, if it was the white Ryan will have work cut out to keep it White

White kit

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 10:30Tue Feb 17 10:30:57 2015In response to kit washTop of thread

Views: 2157

Only EVER used on a 3G surface...

By My tealeaf (legacy user)17/2/2015 10:16Tue Feb 17 10:16:03 2015In response to Re: Washing machine endTop of thread

Views: 2086

Fair point, well made, Farmie I was just scrabbling for crumbs of comfort after not managing to get to see the mighty 'leafe.....

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 10:17Tue Feb 17 10:17:46 2015In response to Re: Washing machine endTop of thread

Views: 2143

Looking forward to Hastings already. Terrific away day and one of my favourite Ryman League grounds.

Hastings

By Pat Butcher Fan Club (legacy user)17/2/2015 10:58Tue Feb 17 10:58:50 2015In response to Re: Washing machine endTop of thread

Views: 2164

The weather forecast for Thursday and particularly Friday is dreadful again so fingers crossed.

I really like Hastings too and the coach trip where we won 2-1 with a Lewis Taylor volley from 25 yards and a cheeky Scotty-Tommo combo winner at the end remains one of my very finest Leafey moments.

An injured/suspended Richard Williams joined us in the stand and we all sang our heads off for 90 minutes.

Neville Southall was Hastings Manager and he swiftly roared away from the ground in his Merc the ungracious oaf. "Bin Man, Bin Man, what's the score?"

In the Clubhouse afterwards the Hastings Chairman was waxing lyrical about the spirit and support we had as a club. Marvellous.

Yes, I will be at Hastings and will probably stay for the whole game.

PBFC

Re: Hastings

By Brian (legacy user)17/2/2015 11:09Tue Feb 17 11:09:46 2015In response to HastingsTop of thread

Views: 2091

PBFC As you are likely to watch the whole game can you report on it for me please? I have a board meeting in IOW.

Re: Hastings

By Pat Butcher Fan Club (legacy user)17/2/2015 11:19Tue Feb 17 11:19:09 2015In response to Re: HastingsTop of thread

Views: 2087

LOL.

Yes I will Brian, happy to do so.

We have our usual annual week on the Isle of Wight booked for late May. If you have never been, speak to Brian about Linstone Chine/Cliff End, we love it.

PBFC

Urban myth

By Paulo (legacy user)17/2/2015 12:36Tue Feb 17 12:36:14 2015In response to Re: HastingsTop of thread

Views: 2089

According to the F A website instructions to the ref. He has the sole responsibity for players safety on the pitch including unsafe conditions such as frozen, rutted or waterlogged pitches. Had a player collided into the hoardings or a post and broken something then he could of been held to be negligent.

Playable or not ?

By Al (legacy user)17/2/2015 13:34Tue Feb 17 13:34:40 2015In response to Urban mythTop of thread

Views: 2085

Not being present, but seeing the web Photo . I would have thought it would have been declared unfit. Did the ref do an early inspection, I somehow doubt it so he felt under pressure to play and once started unless further rain he would have been criticised if he called off during the game,
Remember the frosty night and we travelled to Braintree, the game lasted 20 minutes or so and needed to be replayed, and a long wasted journey. At least that did not ruin pitch, as has happened t the Leafe in times gone by.
Reading al from those there all credit goes to the players, not the Mom by Billericay, The Referee!,

Re: Playable or not ?

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 13:37Tue Feb 17 13:37:56 2015In response to Playable or not ?Top of thread

Views: 2117

As I recall, we only played nine minutes at Braintree!

Re: Playable or not ?

By Pat Butcher Fan Club (legacy user)17/2/2015 14:02Tue Feb 17 14:02:32 2015In response to Re: Playable or not ?Top of thread

Views: 2109

The pitch was totally unplayable at outset and the heavy rain barely ceased.

Paulo is spot on with his personal liability of the Ref post. This applies to other walks of life where you are the designated leader of a group of people.

For example a Scout or Guide leader conducting an outdoor activity or a School Teacher leading an outing. Likewise if you are the person in charge of a Fete or Carnival, or the designated H&S Officer, you are responsible for the participants.

Yes, the organisation may well have Professional Indemnity in place to cover such mishaps (up to a point, such as criminal behaviour) but it is still a personal liability and has lead to prosecutions.

OK, let's not get carried away here, the players weren't potholing or climbing mountains, but the Ref was certainly not displaying sufficient care or diligence last night in my humble opinion.

PBFC

photo

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 14:06Tue Feb 17 14:06:40 2015In response to Re: Playable or not ?Top of thread

Views: 2096

The picture on the website was taken from the top of the stand before kick off and just after they'd removed areas of tarpaulin. It shows the reflection of the standing water in the floodlights.

After the match there was no obvious standing water, just a sea of mud.

Welcome to the New Splodge, Billericay.

New Splodge

Re: photo

By PBFC (legacy user)17/2/2015 20:11Tue Feb 17 20:11:19 2015In response to photoTop of thread

Views: 2051

That pitch is absolutely ruined!

With cold and wet weather to continue that will burden them for weeks on end.

I was just leaving the ground at this point.

On the way home on the M25 it was so wet that cruise control kept cancelling because it detected lack of grip and wheelspin even at a steady 50-60MPH.

Bonkers night all round.

By Toby Lerone (legacy user)17/2/2015 20:45Tue Feb 17 20:45:09 2015In response to Re: photoTop of thread

Views: 2044

I had a great night. I thought it was hilarious.

By PBFC (legacy user)17/2/2015 21:08Tue Feb 17 21:08:23 2015In response to Re: photoTop of thread

Views: 2021

I might have seen the funny side on another night but it is February, with lack of sunlight, my busiest work time of the year and my drive to the ground was awful.

I had some chav idiot driving a foot from my arse through those dark lanes. I eventually put my left indicator in and slowly drew to a halt. The dozy little git (in a Mini) only pulled up behind me for about 20 seconds before his pot addled brain worked out what was going on. I then drove behind him for a while with full beam on which cheered me up a bit.

I was grumpy, the weather was foul and I did honestly feel that we were being humiliated and not getting a fair crack at a QF we had really earned.

It was a bonkers night and one I would happily forget but probably won't.

PBFC

Rather proves a point .....

By bruce leafe (legacy user)17/2/2015 15:07Tue Feb 17 15:07:48 2015In response to photoTop of thread

Views: 2173

Yes the ref can be held negligent. All anyone kept saying last night was no body got hurt. Missing the point. Millions of people fly in planes every day without incident, but when something does happen , the cause is found and some one is always held responsible.
Although enjoyable in its way , once we accepted the farce it was, can you imagine losing a key player at this time of the season because of those conditions.
As i say, if that pitch was fit, then lets not bother with a pitch inspection at all and just turn up to every game and play whatever. I wonder what he would do in a thunder storm. Apparently guidelines are that if lightening is visible, then all players must leave the pitch.
think the ref got bullied into it or maybe he had a date Wed night!!!

Oh look......

By bruce leafe (legacy user)17/2/2015 15:26Tue Feb 17 15:26:43 2015In response to Rather proves a point .....Top of thread

point 3 in the Isthmian league guide to pitch inspections.

• Whether or not conditions are or could turn farcical

Now tell me that passed a pitch inspection legally!!! .
Now i've proved me and Paulo right. Think we would have been well within our rights not to play that game.quite clearly that ref was either clueless or got at.

Having said that, it actually played better than Whitstable's pitch, but that not the point.

Re: Oh look......

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 15:41Tue Feb 17 15:41:24 2015In response to Oh look......Top of thread

We seem to be turning into a bunch of whingers every time we get a bad pitch. Just let the referees do their job. There's no point going and shouting in their face when you don't agree with them.

The last injury I saw happen was to Roscoe DSane when he collided with a perimeter fence on a 3G pitch. Who should he go and sue?

No....

By bruce leafe (legacy user)17/2/2015 19:55Tue Feb 17 19:55:24 2015In response to Re: Oh look......Top of thread

Views: 2049

No text

No we are not

By bruce leafe (legacy user)17/2/2015 20:03Tue Feb 17 20:03:12 2015In response to No....Top of thread

Views: 2103

We have played on plenty of bad pitches. They are bad pitches not the unplayable quagmires of Whitstable or last night. redhill is a terrible pitch but it was at least playable.

You seem to missing my point. That pitch and Whitstables, under the guidelines, cannot possibly, by any stretch of the imagination or letter of such guidelines, have been passed fit for play.
The ref was got at, or couldn't make the reply , thus missing a payday!!

Its not the fault of Billaricay t FC that it rained before, during and after the game, they tried their hardest to get a game on, but it does not excuse an inept ref from ignoring his responsibilities.

Also, interesting enough, he is also responsible for the surrounds of the grounds, so in the event of snow and/or ice he has to take in to consideration the terraces and footpath and all spectator areas in the ground.

Re: No we are not

By Lee Farmie (legacy user)17/2/2015 21:43Tue Feb 17 21:43:10 2015In response to No we are notTop of thread

Views: 2077

I never said that I felt the pitch was playable. I just will not accept that the abuse given out to him as he walked off the pitch at half-time could be justified by the our opinion of the pitch. Anyway, it's over.

By Paulo (legacy user)17/2/2015 16:08Tue Feb 17 16:08:27 2015In response to Re: Oh look......Top of thread

Views: 2042

Could say loads more but I am leaving it now.

By Toby Lerone (legacy user)17/2/2015 15:58Tue Feb 17 15:58:14 2015In response to Re: Oh look......Top of thread

Views: 2088

How is his thumb healing?

Previous thread: Great game against leaders Dorking Wanderes by Mrs K18/12/2016 13:19Sun Dec 18 13:19:42 2016view thread

Follow us on Twitter @WhyteleafeFC. Visit the Twitter page for the full picture.